Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 4:45:43 PM EDT
Don't know why they need to buy BP agents, when the illegals are caught they are released INSIDE the US anyway

Border agents arrested on smuggling charges
Angelica Martinez
UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM
March 9, 2006
www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20060309-1237-bn09border.html
SAN DIEGO – Two supervising U.S. Border Patrol agents were arrested Thursday on suspicion of smuggling undocumented immigrants in exchange for bribes from a smuggling ring, federal officials said.
Related data:

Mario Alvarez, 44, and Samuel McClaren, 43, both of Imperial, were indicted Tuesday on eight counts that include conspiracy to bring in aliens for financial gain, conspiracy to commit bribery and filing false tax returns, the U.S. Attorney's office announced.

The indictment said the agents received bribes of approximately $300,000 from members of the Javier Sanchez-Perfino Alien smuggling organization.

They also released, or facilitated the release of, illegal immigrants and smugglers, who were also undocumented, officials said. The immigrants were then turned over to the smuggling organization in exchange for money.

In one instance, authorities say, Alvarez and McClaren drove a member of the smuggling organization in a U.S. government vehicle from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Service Processing Center in El Centro to a Wal-Mart parking lot in Calexico. The ring member was then let go in exchange for $6,000, officials said.

“There can be no pursuit of justice where our law enforcement agents are corrupt,” United States Attorney Carol C. Lam said in a written statement. “If the defendants have chosen this path, they will face the consequences.”

The men were arrested by agents of the Department of Homeland Security, the Office of the Inspector General and agents of the Internal Revenue Service.

Authorities said they don't know when the suspected conspiracy began, but noted in the indictment that the crimes occurred up until Tuesday.

The two men were assigned to the Mexican Liason Unit in El Centro and worked in the Guide Identification Prosecution Program. The program stems from an agreement between the United States and Mexico under which suspected smugglers are deported to Mexico and are prosecuted by Mexican authorities if they are not prosecuted in the United States.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
This is another reason whey we need a uniformed paramilitary Border Guard that is subject to the UCMJ like the Coast Guard is on water.

Its a LOT easier to catch and prosecute corrupt members when they have to live in barracks and legally kept under survailance and its way easier to prosecute under military law.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure most of us can't even begin to fathom the amounts of money that are offered to Border Patrol or DEA agents in the drug wars. Must be mind boggling.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#4]
They were hired to protect US Citizens, instead they helped the criminals come here to commit crimes against US Citizens

Short of torture, I cannot think of any punishment that would be too harsh for them
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]
This is just down right sickening!

I'm sure the temptation is great...it makes me wonder how many are still out there that haven't been caught.  I've been wearing a badge since 1984 and this just makes me sick when I read stuff like this.  There should be no quarter for people who do this sort of thing...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This is another reason whey we need a uniformed paramilitary Border Guard that is subject to the UCMJ like the Coast Guard is on water.

Correct, because members of the military never commit crimes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Why should Border Agents obey the law when it is clear both parties in Washington want the illegals here?

This year I am not giving my political money to parties but to the two candidates I know care about solving the immigration problem.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm sure most of us can't even begin to fathom the amounts of money that are offered to Border Patrol or DEA agents in the drug wars. Must be mind boggling.

I agree.
Some men have their price - others do not.
I will be joining the Border Patrol after graduation, and I look forward to doing the job.
It is unfortunate that these two were dirty, but it happens.
Maybe if they had more support from Washington...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought only drug smuggling corrupted police officers.  Guess not.   Where's the pro-druggies clamoring to legalizing illegal immigration smuggling?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.
I will be joining the Border Patrol after graduation, and I look forward to doing the job.

I wish I could join.  I'd have to learn spanish though and I'm not too good with it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree.

I wish I could join.  I'd have to learn spanish though and I'm not too good with it.

They will teach you to say things like manos arriba(hands up)and NO MUEVAS(DON'T MOVE)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top