Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 1:14:24 PM EDT
Serious question.

What do you think about the Christian bootleggers of the 1920's?  Not the gangs, but the average non-violent bootleggers?  They KNEW they were breaking the law, but does that mean it is a sin?

What about outher laws?  When is it okay to go against laws you believe are unjust?

Discuss

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Serious question.

What do you think about the Christian bootleggers of the 1920's?  Not the gangs, but the average non-violent bootleggers?  They KNEW they were breaking the law, but does that mean it is a sin?

What about outher laws?  When is it okay to go against laws you believe are unjust?

Discuss

Sgatr15

I think it's ok to not obey a law that you consider un just IF your the only person that could be harmed, or get in trouble for it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I would assume you must be willing to pay the consiquestes of your actions.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Serious question.

Discuss

Sgatr15

I think it's ok to not obey a law that you consider un just IF your the only person that could be harmed, or get in trouble for it.

I'm no expert on this, but I don't believe that's what Jesus said.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Serious question.

Discuss

Sgatr15

I'm no expert on this, but I don't believe that's what Jesus said.

+1
Yeah I really don't think he gave that option to break a law when you didn't like it

I would say yes, they broke the law, the law wasn't harmful in any way it simply removed a simple pleasure that many times causes people to sin as it is. They knew they where breaking the law and did so in joy. They didn't break the law because it went against God's teachings the broke it for a simple pleasure.

So yes I would say it was sinful, same with getting drunk and doing drugs are today.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I draw a line between the legal and moral.

Not every action that is moral would be legal, nor is every legal action moral.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I draw a line between the legal and moral.

Not every action that is moral would be legal, nor is every legal action moral.

Yep.   Abortion is legal..........
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:11:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Serious question.

Discuss

Sgatr15

"1  Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing. 7 Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor."

Romans 13

I don't really believe there were Christian bootleggers.

Christians are not permitted to disobey any law they feel to be unjust. They are given license to disobey only when the law contradicts God's written command (No other gods, etc...) and even then they are charged in scripture to maintain a proper attitude of submission to authority.

See Paul's interaction with the high priest in Acts for more info.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#8]
With the obvious caveat of where following man's law would violate God's law -

I Peter 2:13Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;

14Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top