Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/13/2017 12:28:00 PM EDT
Zappy around  2:45

Yes I know aircraft are pretty much designed to handle this sort of thing but when ever law school mentioned a lightning strike it always stood for something getting fucked up due to a random event > Nothing good ever came from lighting
Anyway I would be pretty freaked out

'Lightning Strike' B777-300 on departure @ KL743 // PH-BVS
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Ride the lightning!
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
As a passenger, you may not even know it occurred.  You're basically sitting inside a big Faraday Cage, and depending on what route that charge found through the airplane, you may not have seen, heard, or smelled a thing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
In before "that's shocking"!  Woohoo!
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the protocol for something like that... flights over, get into a new plane?  I do know sometimes it does nothing and sometimes it does cause issues.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Maintenance will inspect it at its destination and it'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems like that would be loud.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Aside from the lightning strike, that's cool takeoff footage.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a passenger, you may not even know it occurred.  You're basically sitting inside a big Faraday Cage, and depending on what route that charge found through the airplane, you may not have seen, heard, or smelled a thing.
View Quote
I've been on an AC that was struck.

We knew.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What is the protocol for something like that... flights over, get into a new plane?  I do know sometimes it does nothing and sometimes it does cause issues.
View Quote
If the pilot reports it or if damage is found you do the lightning inspection card or AMM section. Generally it is small damage that is addressed with speed tape. Sometimes you may have some fuselage damage that requires a rivet. However I did once see a bad one where they ferried plane out to San Antonio (MRO) after it landed, it needed over ten doublers. 
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I was sitting by the window above the wing when it was struck. Happened about 20 feet from my face. Scared the wife and I to death. The pilot told us we were just struck and the plane was designed to handle it. Most were completely unaware it happened.

Flight from ATL to Ft. Myers in April 2012.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was sitting by the window above the wing when it was struck. Happened about 20 feet from my face. Scared the wife and I to death. The pilot told us we were just struck and the plane was designed to handle it. Most were completely unaware it happened.

Flight from ATL to Ft. Myers in April 2012.
View Quote
Damn
cool to read first hand account on it
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seems like that would be loud.
View Quote
It sounds like someone taking a sledgehammer to a tin roof.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We knew.
View Quote
So much detail
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been on a 747 that was struck multiple times and had multiple failures, not sure if that would be attributed to the lighting strikes or the storm we were in.   You definitely know when you're struck.

It can cause serious damage.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like it knocked out the beacon light.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Aside from the lightning strike, that's cool takeoff footage.
View Quote
Those GE90s are something else.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#20]
That's a fricken gorgeous plane
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If the pilot reports it or if damage is found you do the lightning inspection card or AMM section. Generally it is small damage that is addressed with speed tape. Sometimes you may have some fuselage damage that requires a rivet. However I did once see a bad one where they ferried plane out to San Antonio (MRO) after it landed, it needed over ten doublers. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By :
Zappy around  2:45

Yes I know aircraft are pretty much designed to handle this sort of thing but when ever law school mentioned a lightning strike it always stood for something getting fucked up due to a random event > Nothing good ever came from lighting
Anyway I would be pretty freaked out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-LCORFB860
Saw a chunk blown off a propeller on a King Air that was struck.  Cost them a prop and a gearbox.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#23]
It is always interesting to see where the lighting hits and exits on the airplane.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Cool!
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As a passenger, you may not even know it occurred.  You're basically sitting inside a big Faraday Cage....
View Quote
All brought to you by bonding/grounding and steadfast aircraft electricians!  

Still, there's probably marks on the skin where that lightning entered and exited.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So much detail
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We knew.
So much detail
KVPS-->KATL.  We were approx 1/2 way there.  The WX sucked and we were getting hammered around pretty good.  Enough that there was a constant buzzing of oooh, ahhhs, and a few prayers thrown around the cabin.  When the AC got hit it was a very bright flash with huge thunder like noise.  The AC was eerily devoid of PAX noise for the next 30 or so seconds.  I think some people had wondered if they died.    We landed and the airport was promptly closed.  Turns out the storm we went through later spawned a tornado.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks OP.  That was way cool!
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I was on a flight that was struck, maybe a minute after take off.

There was a flash and it sounded like being inside a tin trash can and someone hit it wit a huge hammer.  No thunder.

Lots of wide eyes
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Still, there's probably marks on the skin where that lightning entered and exited.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a passenger, you may not even know it occurred.  You're basically sitting inside a big Faraday Cage....

Bonding wires are structural shop for us.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
It looks from the still like it went in the radome.  I wouldn't be surprised if it had a decent delamination and had to be replaced.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Apollo 12 was hit just after launch -- twice. You want pucker factor? Tht's pucker factor!

Lightning Strikes Apollo 12 Twice Within Moments | NASA's Unexplained Files

The exhaust trail is conductive, so it carried the strike to ground.

We saw it over the video monitoring system. Shortly afterwards, numerous copies were made of the original reel-to-reel tape. Fascinating to watch. They backed the tapes up and freeze-framed them so much many were worn out by the end of the day.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We knew.
View Quote
Yeah people that say that stuff havent been in one when it gets hit.

The unspoken passenger protocol is everyone gets really fucking quiet until the pilot says we are going to live.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
The 777 is composite not Al.  This created some new challenges for engineers with regards to lightning strikes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#34]
If lightening hits a plane, is it because the plane was a conductor orc was it that it happened to flying by at the right time and place?

I don’t know much about electricity but I thought that it was always trying to find to the ground?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If lightening hits a plane, is it because the plane was a conductor orc was it that it happened to flying by at the right time and place?

I don’t know much about electricity but I thought that it was always trying to find to the ground?
View Quote
Cloud to ground lightning happens all the time.  Sometimes they find a jet along the way.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Cool how it used the plane as a conductor. It literally hit the fuselage and continued out the wing.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Both.  Right place/time and provides the right conditions to facilitate the strike.  Just pushing through the air creates a static charge that can provoke a strike if the conditions are right.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's a fricken gorgeous plane
View Quote
This.

Also, tip o' the hat to the engineers who are able to build something like that AND have it remain operational after getting hit with 87 million volts.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The 777787 is composite not Al.  This created some new challenges for engineers with regards to lightning strikes.
View Quote
FIFY

The 777x is going to incorperate a lot more composite though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Hell with the aircraft, how'd you like to be a poor sap on the ramp when that shit shows up.

Yeah....me. Getting zapped was no fun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Apollo 12 was hit just after launch -- twice. You want pucker factor? Tht's pucker factor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCVVbnhfAFg
https://static.thisdayinaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/tdia/2015/11/Fz7oXWU.png
The exhaust trail is conductive, so it carried the strike to ground.

We saw it over the video monitoring system. Shortly afterwards, numerous copies were made of the original reel-to-reel tape. Fascinating to watch. They backed the tapes up and freeze-framed them so much many were worn out by the end of the day.
View Quote
Yep. Caused a hiccup with the signal conditioning equipment (SCE). The SCE took the outputs from all of the vehical's moitoring systems and routed them to the associated instrumentation. The lightning strike took it off-line and the crew was immediatly inundated with various alarms. The call was made to switch the SCE to AUX power and the problem was solved and the mission went on. Good call!
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
My 'day job' is FAA and EASA certification for immunity to the effects of lightning.

One must consider the architecture of the electrical system. There is no 'ground' no an aircraft. All power is relative to the airframe. In the case of a 777 it is an aluminum airframe/fuselage to all electrical power is connected on one side to the airframe. So Positive voltage is positive with respect to the airframe and Negative voltage is negative relative to the airframe.

When an event like what is shown in the occurs, the airframe is charged to many thousands of volts and thousands of amps of current run through it. What used to be 'neutral' is now alternately thousands of volts positive and negative with enough current to burn through a lot of stuff.

A strike like shows will be notices by the pilots. The effects may or may not be seen by the passengers.

We do a lot of design work, testing, re-design, re-testing and so on to help the equipment to be immune to the effects of lightning strikes.

I also do FAA and EASA certification for immunity to electromagnetic effects, improper power input and pretty much every other adverse environment effect that is experienced by a commercial airplane, electrical, climactics and dynamics.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My 'day job' is FAA and EASA certification for immunity to the effects of lightning.

One must consider the architecture of the electrical system. There is no 'ground' no an aircraft. All power is relative to the airframe. In the case of a 777 it is an aluminum airframe/fuselage to all electrical power is connected on one side to the airframe. So Positive voltage is positive with respect to the airframe and Negative voltage is negative relative to the airframe.

When an event like what is shown in the occurs, the airframe is charged to many thousands of volts and thousands of amps of current run through it. What used to be 'neutral' is now alternately thousands of volts positive and negative with enough current to burn through a lot of stuff.

A strike like shows will be notices by the pilots. The effects may or may not be seen by the passengers.

We do a lot of design work, testing, re-design, re-testing and so on to help the equipment to be immune to the effects of lightning strikes.

I also do FAA and EASA certification for immunity to electromagnetic effects, improper power input and pretty much every other adverse environment effect that is experienced by a commercial airplane, electrical, climactics and dynamics.
View Quote
Neat.  Not worth living in China though.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Looks like it knocked out the beacon light.
View Quote
If you mean the red one I saw it flash a second or two later.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#45]
I've seen this on a couple of our jets after they took a lightning strike.  "Hey Captain, was the AR floodlight on the jet when you left?"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've seen this on a couple of our jets after they took a lightning strike.  "Hey Captain, was the AR floodlight on the jet when you left?"

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66085/DSCN0205-362099.JPG
View Quote
Wow, that’s a bad one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Metallica Ride The Lightning
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Maintenance will inspect it at its destination and it'll be good to go.
View Quote
A couple years ago we had a plane get pretty fucked up by lightning.   It hit the front and melted a shitload or rivets out of the skin and then went out the tail at the top of the fin blowing the flood light right off the tail.  We had to pull the fin off for sheetmetal to fix the fin.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66085/DSCN0205-362099.JPG
View Quote
I guess I posted too soon.   That looks like a hell of a lot like the what we had to fix a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A couple years ago we had a plane get pretty fucked up by lightning.   It hit the front and melted a shitload or rivets out of the skin and then went out the tail at the top of the fin blowing the flood light right off the tail.  We had to pull the fin off for sheetmetal to fix the fin.
View Quote
They were honestly considering CANNing a fin after that happened.  I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't heard it.  "Tell me why I can't CANN it."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top