Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 7:12:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Angle grinder?  Sawzall?

Is it obvious that I don't really know what exactly you're lookin to cut?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
A flat tip mill bit
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I had never heard of such a thing before.  I did click on the eastwood link.  Thank you for posting that!

I have seen a lot of HVAC installers/sheet metal guys use these:

Body panels are basically sheet metal, so why wouldn't those ste bits work?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Angle grinder?  Sawzall?

Is it obvious that I don't really know what exactly you're lookin to cut?
View Quote

Then why comment? If you don't know what a spot weld is then move on.

As for your question OP, good luck.
I don't have any experience with cutting spot welds but this seems like a decent option. http://wiseautotools.com/ta18000-3-8-rotary-spot-weld-cutter/
It has replaceable bits that seem pretty inexpensive, maybe give it a shot and see how it does?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Ugh...I did full rockers on a truck, chased the sheet metal all the way to the pinch weld where the rocker met the floor. Cutting hundreds of spot Welds is a special kind of hell. I used something similar to the Eastwood setup, I dulled two of them before I was done. Have an air chisel handy to get the pieces apart, they don't always cut clean.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are not reusing the piece you can take a grinding stone and grind them until a circle appears.  This tells you that you are through the top panel. If done right the panels will pretty much pop apart at that point.  Saves the panel underneath.  Much faster than any cutter I've used.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Harbor freight sells one just like the Eastwood one. I Used it to cut the inner fender off the firewall/A pillar and replace the radiator support in my van after I wrecked it last year. Works like a charm.
when one side wears flip it over. $4.99
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Harbor freight sells one just like the Eastwood one. I Used it to cut the inner fender off the firewall/A pillar and replace the radiator support in my van after I wrecked it last year. Works like a charm.when one side wears flip it over. $4.99http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-double-sided-rotary-spot-weld-cutter-95343.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_13440.jpg

View Quote

this response is best response.  Otherwise just get a drill and start drillin.  also, if you are in a hurry and dont care too much about the donor car, plasma torch in growing concentric spirals until you get at the entire weld is the fastest way ive found.  expect to do a little chiseling too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I am happy with the Harbor Freight performance for the price.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Harbor freight sells one just like the Eastwood one. I Used it to cut the inner fender off the firewall/A pillar and replace the radiator support in my van after I wrecked it last year. Works like a charm.when one side wears flip it over. $4.99http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-double-sided-rotary-spot-weld-cutter-95343.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_13440.jpg

View Quote

These work well

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:50:43 PM EDT
[#15]
How wrong can you go for $4.99 versus $40-$50 plus shipping? I cut hundreds of welds with mine and its still working fine.

Use your 20% off coupon and its $4 AND a free multimeter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct. I found if I drill a 3/32 pilot hole this cutter works much better.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Use a 1/8" bit to drill a pilot hole in each plug weld and use the cutter shown above. An air chisel will make your life easier too. I actually used the cheap one from Walmart but the chisels it comes with don't last long.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I generally grind the welds with a cutoff wheel. I have used a Blair cutter, but the bits seem very brittle and break easily. It does work well when it works though.

I just bought a Spitznagel Spot Annihilator, hopefully it was a worthwhile purchase.

Use a Steck Seam buster to split and it will cut any missed or barely off welds. I despise air hammers. We have a guy that will use one any chance he gets and all the rest of us hate him for it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I used to rebuild total losses, and have drilled out 10s of thousands of spot welds over the years. The arbor for the cutter isn't really that big of deal, but a good cutter will make all the difference. If you want to buy a cheapo unit, just get some extra blades from one of the better suppliers.
View Quote

Metal cutting tools is not usually a place to skimp.   Nothing worse than trying to cut with dull tools.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Dewalt pilotpoint drill bits. You're  welcome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top