Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 2:06:39 PM EDT
Today I was given an old level II vest. The vest and panels are 10 years old. The panels look to be in great shape but the vest shell had seen better days. Do the panels stay good if not shot at or after so long they should be replaced? If I was to double up the level II panels will that increase protection to the next level(44 mag, 9mm subgun)?Can I legally buy hard plates or is that a restricted item? As you can tell I know jack crap when it comes to body armor. Thanks.

I wanted to add that I might try to buy a new shell if its not too expensive and if the panels are still good.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
yes, you can legally buy hard plates.

As for whether the panels are still good after all this time, I would say: Probably, but I wouldn't be willing to bet my life on it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on how the vest was stored over its lifespan. Lots of unknowns in that regard. The panels themselves should be fine if the vest was stored properly. The carrier being worn out is a simple replacement issue, although manufacturers pretty much stop making carriers for old models, so you'll need to find someone who can make it for you reasonably, or someone that has an old carier they don't need thats in better shape than what you have.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If the panels are made from Kevlar, Twaron, etc (aramids) and have not been abused (left crumpeled up or in direct sunlight) they will be fine for many, many years

You can pick up replacement carriers and hard plates on ebay
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I can tell it looks like it has been stored flat. The name of the company is Top Line Body Armor but I can't find them on the web. I just call an 800 number that I could hardly make out and got a recording for I think she said Reliance Armor.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#5]
10 years old means it should be all kevlar, but the inside will probably say.  You should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]
There's only one way to be sure...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]
How many non-LE/mil here own a vest? (curious)
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I do as of today.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one!

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Class 2 concealable and a Class 3 entry type vest that i am currently working on a new carrier for.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There's only one way to be sure...

I was thinking of putting it on my dog then calling the police that there is a prowler in my backyard. But that dog is like family to me so I decieded to let my wife wear it while I say "Honey hold my beer..."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top