Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 1:44:39 PM EDT
I was given 2 of the old style CVC "chicken" vests today. I was wondering what kind of ballistic protection these can give me. I'm thinking next to nothing. My next question is if I place both panels in both vest, 2 in 1 kind of thing. What level will I be at?

Anybody have any ideas, or should I just scrap the vests?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, putting them together does provide more protection--however, based on age, exposure to elements, and use, etc--they might not provide you with much protection.
I have no idea what "level" those old vests were--or even if they were rated.

pato
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
THe old CVC vest provide about the same protection as a standard Level IIIA concealable vest used by police officer; I agree with Pato in the premise that depending on the use, exposure to elements, and other factors might minimize its overall effectiveness. I personally have a PACA Level IIIA concealable vest, a whole bunch were donated to my unit as "reinforcement" for our Humvee doors, most were in great shape, but for the most part a bulletproof vest will not last more than 5 years of constant use, after that, is an insurance liability and (the armor panels) needs to be replaced.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd use them for shooting range fun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#4]
There's only one way to settle this. I must buy one and shoot it. Repeatedly.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have shot one with blood on it getting destroyed for medical reasons. They stop 9mm ball just fine. This was wet and dirty.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#6]
CVC vests do not provide anywhere IIIA protection...IIA/II at the most.  These are made to handle frag threats while in an armored vehicle not stop bullets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top