Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/7/2006 1:44:39 PM EDT
I was given 2 of the old style CVC "chicken" vests today. I was wondering what kind of ballistic protection these can give me. I'm thinking next to nothing. My next question is if I place both panels in both vest, 2 in 1 kind of thing. What level will I be at?

Anybody have any ideas, or should I just scrap the vests?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:49:08 PM EDT
Actually, putting them together does provide more protection--however, based on age, exposure to elements, and use, etc--they might not provide you with much protection.
I have no idea what "level" those old vests were--or even if they were rated.

pato
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:54:43 PM EDT
THe old CVC vest provide about the same protection as a standard Level IIIA concealable vest used by police officer; I agree with Pato in the premise that depending on the use, exposure to elements, and other factors might minimize its overall effectiveness. I personally have a PACA Level IIIA concealable vest, a whole bunch were donated to my unit as "reinforcement" for our Humvee doors, most were in great shape, but for the most part a bulletproof vest will not last more than 5 years of constant use, after that, is an insurance liability and (the armor panels) needs to be replaced.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:56:01 PM EDT
I'd use them for shooting range fun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:07:33 PM EDT
There's only one way to settle this. I must buy one and shoot it. Repeatedly.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:12:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 2:13:16 PM EDT by 1IV]
I have shot one with blood on it getting destroyed for medical reasons. They stop 9mm ball just fine. This was wet and dirty.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:15:21 PM EDT
CVC vests do not provide anywhere IIIA protection...IIA/II at the most. These are made to handle frag threats while in an armored vehicle not stop bullets
Top Top