Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 12:35:45 PM EDT
Ok, one of my inlaws got me a Chieftains CD for Christmas. It's "Futher Down the Old Plank Road". There is a lot of bluegrass roots on this CD and I really like it a lot.

Anyway, track 6 is "Rosc Catha Na Nuimhain/Arkansas Traveller/The Wild Irishman" and starts out with what I think is a resophonic/national guitar dobro. It's a pretty awsome intro, I like it a lot. So my question is, is there any other CD's you'd recommend for some good guitar playing like that? I've never really been into blue grass or this type of music before, so I know NOTHING about what to look for.  

I know that blues and rock also use this type of guitar, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for sounds (blue grass?) that are similar to the intro of the specific song that I mentioned above.  This Link
to amazon has a clip of the song I'm talking about. Scroll down, track #6.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
look for "25 years of bluegrass" on rounder records ... it's a great compilation

amazon has it I know

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
look for "25 years of bluegrass" on rounder records ... it's a great compilation

amazon has it I know

I'll check it out. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Seldom Scene is a band I like.

Living in VA, I've learned to love bluegrass, too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I listened to the clip now ... that's a dobro

check out some CD's by jerry douglas

you'll like it

amazon should have cd's with clips

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Ricky Skaggs...
Alison Krause...

um... Lester Flatt & Earl Skruggs.

Can't think of any others off hand.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Cool, thanks. I'll have to check these all out.

Bluegrass really isn't big in WI, but I did live in Boone, NC long enough to get a  little taste of it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#7]
lol.. there's a good album called "Straight Outta Boone (County)"
It's sorta making fun of themselves at times but, there is plenty in it with some heart.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yep - I love the old stuff.  The Earl Scruggs & Friends CD from 2001 (where he plays with more contemporary artists) is good too IMHO.

And I don't think anybody has mentioned Ralph Stanley yet - I love his voice/style.

My favorite bluegrass CDs are some of the Gospel Bluegrass compilations out there, but YMMV on those.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Doc Watson
Jerry Garcia
Tony Rice

After listening to the clip, it seemed to have a lot of 'blues' in it.
The clip is all about the guitar being the vocal.  That's kinda what Tony Rice does.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Any album by Bill Monroe, the father of bluegrass music.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ricky Skaggs...
Alison Krause...

Can't think of any others off hand.

How about the recently departed king himself:  Bill Monroe?

-HS
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Doc Watson
Jerry Garcia
Tony Rice

After listening to the clip, it seemed to have a lot of 'blues' in it.
The clip is all about the guitar being the vocal.  That's kinda what Tony Rice does.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head I think. The clip that I posted was a little more mellow than some of the stuff I've been checking out, but I think I really like Tony Rice after listening to some of the clips on amazon. I also think I like it better with just instrumental and no singing, so what you said about the guitar being the vocal is really what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the advice guys. If you can think of any others that kind of fall into the instrumental only, 'blues', more mellow category let me know.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
did you find any cd's with jerry douglas on them on amazon?

if not, I'll send you a couple of files when I get home

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
did you find any cd's with jerry douglas on them on amazon?

if not, I'll send you a couple of files when I get home

Yeah, good stuff. I'm listening to the Appalachia Waltz / Ma, Meyer, O'Connor and the Lookout for Hope album clips right now and I like them a lot. So far Jerry Douglas and Tony Rice are my favorites.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+10.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top