Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 2:05:22 AM EDT
Do you think that real pirates talked this much?

I kind of envisioned pirates as being more stabby-stabby, hack, hack, hack. These pirates do more talking than raiding and pillaging. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Turns out vikings do the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:18:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I like Black Sails. I just wish they'd STFU once in a while and get back to the actual pirate stuff like blowing ships up and stabbing fools.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:48:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I kind of envisioned pirates as being more stabby-stabby, hack, hack, hack. These pirates do more talking than raiding and pillaging. 
View Quote
This season is not off to an illustrious start but Blackbeard did endorse your characterization before he was killed during the most recent episode. I assume the verbosity is meant to be a representation of how cunning some of the pyrates were. Rackham isn't at all like the historical person. Long John is fictional so it's easier to take liberties with him.
Black Sails | The Best of Black Sails: Silver’s Warning Speech | STARZ
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, so I finished the last episode and it was pretty good. Less plotting, more keel hauling and not an unsubstantial amount of shooting, stabbing, hacking and throat cutting. This is pirate shit!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:51:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This season is not off to an illustrious start but Blackbeard did endorse your characterization before he was killed during the most recent episode. I assume the verbosity is meant to be a representation of how cunning some of the pyrates were. Rackham isn't at all like the historical person. Long John is fictional so it's easier to take liberties with him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I go to Long John Silver's on my cheat day, so he's real to me!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Same for POC - "we're not but humble pirates" Captain Jack was also a talker, Barbossa less so.
Pirates of the Carribean- I'm disinclined
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:55:15 AM EDT
[#7]
My understanding, from readings in college (history may have been rewritten since then!), is that pirate ships were run democratically with votes not only for the Captainship but where to go and what to attack.  That being said I would imagine that there was a fair amount of talking and politicking so that the captain and crew were all on the same page.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:56:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Same for POC - "we're not but humble pirates" Captain Jack was also a talker, Barbossa less so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWUi60RqYA0
View Quote

I loved that movie!

I still do. Great film, all the way round. I don't see any flaws in it. One of my Top 10, without question. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:01:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK, so I finished the last episode and it was pretty good. Less plotting, more keel hauling and not an unsubstantial amount of shooting, stabbing, hacking and throat cutting. This is pirate shit!
View Quote
   http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/blackbeard-killed-off-north-carolina  The historical account of Blackbeard's death is worth a read. He fought 3 men simultaneously, stabbed and shot he fought on and almost won but was stabbed in the back as he was about to finish off  LT Maynard "five musket-ball wounds and 20 sword lacerations before dying." Jack Rackham had a misfortunate but interesting way of dying.
Black Sails - Blackbeard - "Three Lies"
Robert Maynard, with instructions from Spotswood to hunt down and destroy Blackbeard, offering a reward of £100, and smaller sums for the lesser crew members. Maynard sailed from James River on November 11, 1718, in command of thirty men from HMS Pearl, and twenty-five men and a midshipman of HMS Lyme, and in command of the hired sloops, theRanger and Jane (temporarily commissioned as His Majesty's Ships to avoid accusations of piracy themselves). Maynard found the pirates anchored in a North Carolina inlet on the inner side of Ocracoke Island, on the evening of November 21. Maynard and his men decided to wait until the following morning because the tide would be more favourable. Blackbeard's Adventure had a crew of only nineteen, "Thirteen white and six Negroes", as reported to the Admiralty"
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Well... the hell else are they going to do on ships that go 5 mph? 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:02:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Turns out vikings do the same thing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My understanding, from readings in college (history may have been rewritten since then!), is that pirate ships were run democratically with votes not only for the Captainship but where to go and what to attack.  That being said I would imagine that there was a fair amount of talking and politicking so that the captain and crew were all on the same page.
View Quote
That was during the privateer and golden age periods. Changed later on.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:05:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't matter the year, people have always been emotional wrecks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Real pirates probably spent most of their time laying low if they had loot or sailing on the hunt for prizes. And even when they captured prizes they preferred to do so without fighting.

So yeah, I think pirates really did spend a lot of time talking.

I'm more amazed that these pirates have all this hot sex with whores and none of them seem to be catching the syph. You'd think at least half the population of Nassau would be syphilitics.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:23:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Real pirates probably spent most of their time laying low if they had loot or sailing on the hunt for prizes. And even when they captured prizes they preferred to do so without fighting.

I'm more amazed that these pirates have all this hot sex with whores and none of them seem to bre catching the syph. You'd think at least half the population of Nassau would be syphilitics.
View Quote
Half of them were dead, before season 3 ended, so dead men tell no tales. Pirates had to fight to get the rep to cause ships to fear the flag and surrender, some flags more than others. Some like Edward Low were best resisted since he got off on torturing captives, cutting off ears and lips.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:46:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Obviously you aren't a veteran.  That would have taught you that even soldiers in war spend 99% of their time bored out of their minds and maybe 1% of their time doing cool/exciting/scary shit.  

Piracy would be no different.  If anything itd be even more boring since you'd be spending so much time at sea waiting to find ships weak enough to attack.  Not all ships were ripe targets, aka naval vessels, other pirates/privateers, armed merchants...etc.  I forget his name but one of the arguments for cannon being a 2A protected right is that one of the founding fathers owned a ship with cannon that he had personally purchased for his merchant vessels.  But ya, it might have been a long time between raids or ambushes.  What were they supposed to do, just sit around looking cool?  

If you have a gripe about the realism of the show, get offended by how everybody looks so sexy and clean.  Robot Chicken had a skit about something along those lines

Jack Sparrow Sex Fantasy | Robot Chicken | Adult Swim
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:09:54 AM EDT
[#17]
John Wick ain't got nothing on Charles Vane or Blackbeard.
Black Sails S3E4 Edward Teach defends Charles Vane
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:14:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I can't recall the name of the book at the moment but taking a historical look at piracy and one of the things that it pointed out was that much of our image of pirates is wrong.  Largely propagated by Hollywood is that pirate ships were large, fearsome, heavily gunned ships when in reality most were smaller captured merchant vessels with relatively small crews and rarely mounted more than a couple of canons and a few swivel guns.  They mainly preyed on other merchant vessels sailing between islands, not Spanish galleons or other ships of the line which they were no match for.    

Merchant vessels were also known to mount canons and swivel guns; some of my mother's ancestors in the Charleston/Edisto Island area listed canons among the ships inventories and the in drawings of some of the old plantation houses you can clearly see gun emplacements along the ground level for defense against pirates.  Remember that Teach held Charleston for a short period while demanding medicine to treat the clap.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:35:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Castillo San Marcos - St. Augustine, FL - Travel Thru History
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like Black Sails. I just wish they'd STFU once in a while and get back to the actual pirate stuff like blowing ships up and stabbing fools.
View Quote

Quit watching mid first season.

Aren't they blowing each other now?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, Pirates were a political bunch of radicals with thoughts and beliefs that were a danger to the established order. I don't agree with everything pirates did. But they were a political bunch and it is interesting studying what they fought for and what they believed in and how it later affected modern political theories.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

one of the first episodes dealt with Flint handling an attempted coup by one of his junior officers.
sword fight ( with swords ) settled it in Flint's favor.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm more amazed that these pirates have all this hot sex with whores and none of them seem to be catching the syph. You'd think at least half the population of Nassau would be syphilitics.
View Quote

VD was rampant.
I saw a documentary where a probable pirate vessel was explored and one of the finds was a type of syringe probably used to inject mercury up through the penis as a treatment for the syph.
that treatment was also shown in the TV show The Borgias when the younger Borgia son picked up syphilis.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Best theme/opening ever.

It gets you going before the first scene.

Black Sails | Opening Credits | STARZ
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I like black sails
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#26]
This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#28]
More importantly, why the fuck didn't they just sink Woods Rodgers sloop?
Why send 2 long boats and remain 1000' away with most of the crew?

Writing is getting sloppy
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I stopped watching it when I found out the captain was homo. every fucking show these days has a homo in it. if you go by the percentage of the population, should't just like 10 or 15% of the shows have homos?..
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I stopped watching it when I found out the captain was homo. every fucking show these days has a homo in it. if you go by the percentage of the population, should't just like 10 or 15% of the shows have homos?..
View Quote
It worked very well as a plot device for why such an up and coming star in the RN was stripped of rank, wealth, and power and drummed out of the service. It also gives him a good reason to hate thw English.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes, Pirates were a political bunch of radicals with thoughts and beliefs that were a danger to the established order. I don't agree with everything pirates did. But they were a political bunch and it is interesting studying what they fought for and what they believed in and how it later affected modern political theories.
View Quote

Our Constitution had some lineage to ships writs that many pirate crews operated under. Our ideas of democracy also had some roots in the way crews operated with many having degrees of democratic actions governing their choices. Some of our founders operated privateers and engaged in piracy and smuggling themselves.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

He was not keel hauled, it was a port and starboard deal. As I recall from some past pirate reading rarely did anyone survive a keel haul as they usually drowned before the crew could pull them back on board.

Great show overall, but I want to see the fake french whore run through
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top