Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 6:52:17 AM EDT
I saw at the local gunshow (Empire State Arms Collectors) this guy was selling some Black Hills ammo that was in a flood for cheap.  Real cheap - 500 rounds of 55 or 60 grain for $65.

The primers are supposedly sealed, but do they use sealant for the bullets in the case?  I know that isn't a guarantee that no moisture would get into the case, but it would be better off.  Anyone have any experience with how waterproof/resistant this ammo is?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump...  Gunshow closes up in about 1 hr.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks...  That was the info I was looking for.  I couldn't find it on the Black Hills website.
I suspected that they weren't sealed, so I waited to confer with the hive mind  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Planning on bumpfiring underwater?

Black Hills is excellent ammo BTW....
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#5]
If you got any other questions contact sierraeight, he's the top dog at Black Hills. He can tell you everything and more that you want to know about BH ammo. IIRC the primers on BH ammo are not sealed execpt for a limited run of 75gr stuff they did for creedmore, and the Mk262 ammo. I'd check with Black Hills to be sure though. I haven't shot the 55 or 60gr stuff so I can't say for sure on those.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Good god!

$65 for 500?

I'd go broke buying that place out!

Not if I get there first!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Too late, I passed.

Give him credit for telling up front it was in a flood.  You could see some mud on rounds, so they definately saw water.  Probably for some time too.  Since the stuff isn't sealed my guess is there is probably moisture inside the case.  I also happened to read some of the ammo oracle a few days ago, some didn't fare well after submersion in water.

www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm#wear
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top