Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2002 9:22:01 PM EDT
I would like to know what everyone thinks of the movie Black Hawk Down. Weapons, realism, your favorite part, and least favorite part.  Who was your favorite character and why?  What gun did you buy after watching the movie for the first time?  How many times have you watched it?

Though I am not and never have been in the service.  Anyone who is in or has been in the service are our TRUE HERO'S.  How these guys risk their life is truly heroic.

Ok I have seen the movie 8 times, each time seeing something new.  I thought the movie was very good, haven't read the book yet but I plan too.  My favorite character is "Hoot" He is a BAD ASS in the movie and has some great lines.  My favorite part of the movie is at the end when Hoot is talking to Eversman saying "People back home just wouldn't understand, its about the man next to you..that's it...that's all it is.."  Has to be the best line in the movie.  
The part that makes me the most pissed off is when the 2 snipers go down to protect the second black hawk helicopter I belive super 6 four and the second sniper is being shot up by the sami running into the opening of the door shooting his pistol.  The only word that came to mind was "FUCK".  This movie is probably the best war movie I have seen.  I am a big Tom Hanks fan I loved Saving Private Ryan, but for true grit and the chaos during battle Black Hawk Down wins for sure.  Also it deals with the way things are now in modern warfare.  

This board has some great posts and we can all learn so much.  Although some of us maybe get carried away and deck out our weapons.  Maybe we should also take some time for some kind of training or something.  I guess in the real scope of things we should be glad that the biggest thing we worry about on here is bitching and minor tiffs on the board.  Thank god we are not actually having to use our weapons to defend our lives.  Lets just pray for all those who really need and use these weapons everyday and depend on them for their lives.  God Bless Our Soldiers & their families.

Mark

Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to read the book.  It provides a much great insight than what can be squeezed into two hours of celluloid.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Do a search here of "Black Hawk Down" and then of "BHD" for the last six months - you'll get MANY different threads about the movie, book and actual events that happened.

Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I've read the book twice in the first week I've had it. It is about a month now, I think I'll start it again over X-mas Break. It's the best book I've ever read. You will not be able to put it down, trust me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked the odd coincidence that the main moral of "Black Hawk Down" was essentially the same as for "The Four Feathers"   It [b]is[/b] all about the guy next to you, your unit, your men - and not much else.

Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive seen the movie about 4 times. I read the book first.I thought it was made about 80% accurate.Which is a victory for hollywood.The movie was great. The book was EXCELLENT!  War Dawg . U.S. ARMY 4/23 Infatry 1985-1989
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Movie was great and was done well with about as much accuracy as I think I've seen Hollywierd produce in recent years with regards to a war movie.    The effect of the movie left me completely quiet and drained for about 2 hours, that's a good description for the movie, emotionally draining.

Only thing that I was seriously pissed about?   Going to see this movie while it was playing at the theaters with a bunch of disrespectful POS people who didn't have the common courtesy to turn off their cell phones, leave their kids at home, and not make stupid comments at critical moments of the movie cause they were infamiliar with the story.

Wish I could have seen it with an audience filled with servicemen who have seen battle or atleast had respect for those involved.

Link Posted: 12/15/2002 3:40:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#8]
BHD the movie needed more money. Any shortcomings of the film largely resolve around that issue. It really needed [i]Saving Private Ryan[/i]'s budget.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
BHD the movie needed more money. Any shortcomings of the film largely resolve around that issue. It really needed [i]Saving Private Ryan[/i]'s budget.
View Quote

Typical liberal response. If there is a problem, pour more money into it  [;)]

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I didn't like the use of British actors with their hokey American accents.

Come on Ridley, you couldn't find Americans to play the parts?
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#11]
The book was really well written. The movie was pretty good, my major problems with it were that it was so short and that so much time was taken up with background. There just was not enough time to properly show the firefights.

When part II comes out in a few years we can see what a bigger budget and better tech will do. I understand that the basic storyline is being worked over right now on scene.

[;)]
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Come on Ridley, you couldn't find Americans to play the parts?
View Quote

For the money he had to offer? NO

Be thankful that they got people who could speek English! It could have looked like a Sergio Leone spaghetti western.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#13]
The ending sucked - we should have leveled that stinkhole with a nuke - of course this is not what happened only my opinion on what should have happened in real time.

Ropes
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I strongly recommend reading the book also, it is really important & interesting, because the movie just focused on the gun battle the culiminated the end of the operation, but the author Mark Bowen actually interviews some Somalis, which only a small part was aired on the movie. It is very interesting to see some of this from the Somali standpoint. Also the little Bird heliocopters made many strafing runs during the night, and they also air dropped supplies in at night that wasn't shown in the movie. If you haven't got the book, here is an abridged version of the book at the Phil Inquirer's web site. There is also actual pics from the Somalia that was not in the book.[url]http://inquirer.philly.com/packages/somalia/[/url] Another one of Clinton's failed foreign policy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top