Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2009 2:17:00 AM EDT
Supposedly, someone here saw one flying around. They said it had no visible markings.

Who are these fellows?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 2:42:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 2:46:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Many around the D.C. area; may not be a black paint scheme, but do appear as black.  No tin-foil required yet, as they are likely Army helo's.

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 3:05:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Black Chinooks?

I have no idea who.........

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Colombia Helicopter has a black one for heavy lift logging and construction. I've seen it here in the past when they did some heli-logging .......,The crew called her "OPRAH".... She was big and black and could really haul a load...
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 9:44:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Colombia Helicopter has a black one for heavy lift logging and construction. I've seen it here in the past when they did some heli-logging ....
...,The crew called her "OPRAH"....

She was big and black and could really haul a load...

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#6]
160th?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless someone has seen the bird up close, I'd say its just the typical green drab paint job the Army paints their birds with.  The paint jobs on their ships very so much shade wise it would be easy to assume they were black.  Back in the 1990's I was always hearing about black helicopters from people who were just sure those choppers were up to no good.  I had one guy who swore there were black helis operating at the Guard armory in Columbus, Ohio.  I decided to check it out and it was just that at a distance the choppers did look black.  What a way to spread stupid rumors.  

A black helo in Afganistan like what the OP said?  I would have to agree it was probably the 160th SOAR.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
NSDQ
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#9]
think SOCOM and let it be - you will never find out the owning unit unless one of them crashes on top of you AND the pilot happens to be wearing patches that day
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
160th?

Yep
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NSDQ

correct again

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#12]

A little Night Stalker action!
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Supposedly, someone here saw one flying around. They said it had no visible markings.

Who are these fellows?

If the 'hook has a dick, then it's from the 'Nightstalkers' - 160th SOAR

Army Special Ops Aviaiton....

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Colombia Helicopter has a black one for heavy lift logging and construction. I've seen it here in the past when they did some heli-logging .......,The crew called her "OPRAH".... She was big and black and could really haul a load...

That particular machine is currently operating in Peru. It has been for quite some time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw several of them at BIAP in 2003.  Super Secret Squirrel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Who are these fellows?

Oh fuck dude, you talked about the black chinook! Your totally fucked!

WAIT, did I just talk about the black chinook?!?!?!?! OH fuck!!!! OMFG whats that sound!?!?!?!? Shit they are coming for ME!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(running off naked into the night)
Link Posted: 7/20/2009 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#17]
ICE uses UH60's with black paint jobs, but it's more of a gloss black, and there are markings. Not sure if they have other rotary wing assets or not.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#18]
From any distance at all, army helicopters look black and there are no visible markings from more than a hundred feet away or so.

The paint scheme is a very dark olive color overall with the tail number and "United States Army" painted in black - so very low contrast.

The people that think they are seeing "black helicopters" are most likely wrong. They probably have the old war movie pictures in their head of shiny green helicopters with big white stars painted on the sides.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Who are these fellows?

The last one I saw at KAF had United States Army on the side.  Come to think about it, 3 more that are sitting at another FOB say the same.  As someone else already mentioned NSDQ.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Saw a couple of those SpecOps birds with the probes here in Afghanistan about two weeks ago, sitting on the flightline. They looked pretty black to me.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#21]
only chinooks i have seen looked black, the few i have been up close to were black with subdued markings...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top