for one of the most bizarre belated grudges on record: He was still mad
that his victim had once pulled a jock strap over his head in a locker
room prank.

73-year-old Carl Ericsson, who was sentenced to life in prison — AP

As reported by the Associated Press, no one knew why Carl Ericsson, a
Madison (S.D.) High graduate, had killed Norman Johnson, a classmate at
Madison in the 1950s. The murderer was a North Dakota State University
graduate who went on to have a successful 25-year career as an insurance
salesman. He has been married to his wife for some 44 years.

Yet Ericsson was apparently severely depressed throughout those life successes, with a psychiatrist finding that the senior citizen was suffering through a treatment-resistant depression
that led to suicidal thoughts. Shockingly, the action that seems to
have been a primary motivator for some of that depression was a locker
room prank between two classmates whose paths intertwined with the
Madison track and field program.

Ericsson's victim, fellow 73-year-old Norman Johnson, was a star on the Madison track team while Ericsson was a student sports manager.
According to Ericsson, one afternoon in the school locker room, Johnson
put a jock strap on Ericsson's head, humiliating the sports manager and
planting a seed of resentment that grew for more than half a century....

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/bizarre-d-murder-caused-resentment-over-50-old-183136429.html

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#1]
people don't like to be meddled with
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a lesson here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#3]
"Beware the fury of a patient man."
- John Dryden
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Crazy man is crazy. A 50 year old prank? Egg the guys house, key his car, pants him in public. You don't kill the guy.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Crazy man is crazy. A 50 year old prank? Egg the guys house, key his car, pants him in public. You don't kill the guy.  

I agree he did it wrong. He should have just thrown rocks though his front window from time to time for the last 50 years.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, well, that's just how the guy rolled.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#8]
idiot.  if he had done it earlier, hed have taken more years from the guy
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#9]
It's crazy dudes like this that may give assholes pause before being an asshole.

He was wrong and all, but he performed a valuable service just very very belatedly.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I completely agree killing him was far excessive and morally wrong. But sometimes when you fuck with people, they react in ways you didn't expect and you have some responsibility for bringing it on yourself.

I was bullied a lot growing up. I never thought about killing anyone, but I can see why some wouldn't be able to handle it as well as I did.

Fuck bullies.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like someone just got three hots and a cot for life.  Good medical care too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe he reached the point in his life where there was nothing left to do other than take care of that one bully from high school.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks like someone just got three hots and a cot for life.  Good medical care too.

New form of retirement plan?
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's crazy dudes like this that may give assholes pause before being an asshole.

Nope, assholes will be the people they were born to be.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Putting a jock on someones head isn't a capital offense. Anyone who thinks it is either has a skewed sense of justice, or a mental illness. There is no rational way to justify the killing of someone for it 50 years later. Fuck with the wrong person? Some people will attack you, or even kill you over a traffic dispute. I suspect jock strap hat guy was that type of person.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Been that way for a while. My grandparents know a few people who have done exactly that.

Three square meals per day

A cot to sleep it

a TV

Free medical

Free dental

Free vision

A library in some of them.

In a lot of cases an older persons home is a prison in and of itself let alone a retirement home.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Been that way for a while. My grandparents know a few people who have done exactly that.

A cot to sleep it
a TV
Free medical
Free dental
Free vision

In a lot of cases an older persons home is a prison in and of itself let alone a retirement home.

Sad but true

My MIL and my Father both died in a nursing home (both unable to care for themselves)

I know I would find a way to off myself if I was ever in a nursing home
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Another reason why I do not let out space in my head to other people.

You have to let shit go, or it will eat at you and eat at you and eat at you, poisoning your entire life.  Ain't nobody on Earth worth any small part of that to me.

Water off a duck's back.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A cot to sleep it

a TV

Free medical

Free dental

Free vision

Sad but true

My MIL and my Father both died in a nursing home (both unable to care for themselves)

Happens all the time. That get's you the equivalent to solitary confinement in those places and constant super vision.

I will never put my grandparents in a nursing home if I can help it. I hope I pass before I need to be in one.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow, people need to learn to let things go.  It will do nothing but eat at you and cause you misery your entire life if you don't.  I had an ex-girlfriend that never let go of any any major trama she had been through.  She would start drinking and then start crying about things that happened when she was 6, she was 28 when this was going on.  Yeah some messed up things happened to her but she never worked past them to keep on living life.  Just buried them deep down only for them to resurface years later.  I could see her having a mental break and doing something like the guy in the article did.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#23]

First thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A cot to sleep it
a TV
Free medical
Free dental
Free vision

Sad but true

Happens all the time. That get's you the equivalent to solitary confinement in those places and constant super vision.

I will never put my grandparents in a nursing home if I can help it. I hope I pass before I need to be in one.

I know with my dad We really tried, I even sold my house and moved 1000 miles to help.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Wonder if the dead guy ever even remembered the incident?
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#26]
That man can carry a grudge.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#27]

LOL

Quoted:

idiot.  if he had done it earlier, hed have taken more years from the guy

Right, now he just saved the guy from shitting in his drawers and drooling on himself as he aged.  I'd dare to say he did the guy a favor.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#28]
yep, he should have just peed in the guys gas tank
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There is a lesson here.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

That a lot of guys on arfcom GD are crazy?
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Putting a jock on someones head isn't a capital offense. Anyone who thinks it is either has a skewed sense of justice, or a mental illness. There is no rational way to justify the killing of someone for it 50 years later. Fuck with the wrong person? Some people will attack you, or even kill you over a traffic dispute. I suspect jock strap hat guy was that type of person.  

I agree, its pretty odd to be that upset about one incident like that. Makes me wonder if it was just one incident of many. Perhaps he'd been bullied repeatedly by the some people. Bullied rarely do just one act and move on.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#32]
So Carl was mad about this for most of his life- what a waste
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Another reason why I do not let out space in my head to other people.

You have to let shit go, or it will eat at you and eat at you and eat at you, poisoning your entire life.  Ain't nobody on Earth worth any small part of that to me.

Water off a duck's back.

This incident is the result of mental disturbance, nothing rational.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, its pretty odd to be that upset about one incident like that. Makes me wonder if it was just one incident of many. Perhaps he'd been bullied repeatedly by the some people. Bullied rarely do just one act and move on.

Yes, there could have been other incidents not reported.  Maybe something reawakened the memory lately.  

Whatever the case maybe the state will spend tens of thousands of dollars housing this guy on medical costs alone.  
Not saying he should not be in prison but in the end he may have also got his revenge and fucked the state and taxpayers over to boot.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:24:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a hard time caring that a person might be killed for doing such a thing. I might well say "not guilty" if the killing followed more nearly immediately after the deliberate, gratuitous humiliation.

How hard is it to leave people alone?
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hS_xzSNAEpg/Td3R6HHpTnI/AAAAAAAAAuI/Q9B-gq7XOMo/s1600/slingblade-003.jpg

I love that movie -lol
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#38]
It can be hell when you wind up on somebody's bucket list like that.  I suppose the old boy figured he just had so much time left, so lets say 10 more yrs in the slammer before the pearly gates.  Up until now, 15 years just seemed like too much, not worth it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Did anyone else do a quick inventory of high school "antics" ?

shit

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Message to bullies:

"Play stupid games, win disproportionately stupid prizes."

That is all.

fisherman
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

shit

Yes.  Not much comes to mind, except a self reminder to sweep away old grudges.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#42]
I still remember a second grade incident where my face was pushed into the dirt by an ass hat.  Never forgot.  Still see him about twice a year have no plans to kill him but if he ever and I mean ever was to get even a little out of line with me I will come out on top this time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wow, people need to learn to let things go.  It will do nothing but eat at you and cause you misery your entire life if you don't.  I had an ex-girlfriend that never let go of any any major trama she had been through.  She would start drinking and then start crying about things that happened when she was 6, she was 28 when this was going on.  Yeah some messed up things happened to her but she never worked past them to keep on living life.  Just buried them deep down only for them to resurface years later.  I could see her having a mental break and doing something like the guy in the article did.

That depends on the person, and the hate.  Yes, the active, all-consuming hate that you are describing will eat at a person.  Yes, that pre-occupying hate can burn up a lot of energy and waste a lot of good time.  But not all hate is that hate.

There are people on this planet that I truely hate.  But it is a casual hatred.  I don't dwell on it.  I don't think about it.  I go for months at a time without even remembering that I hate them, unless something reminds me.  I doesn't consume my life, or really even effect my life.

But rest assured, if the opportunity to conveniently eradicate them from this Earth ever presents itself, I will do so with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

shit

Yes.  Not much comes to mind, except a self reminder to sweep away old grudges.

Here too and any grudges I can think of have been long ago resolved.

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#45]
The Fall after I graduated high school, one of the biggest bullies was killed in a hunting accident.

No, he left the stove on in the cabin, and asphyxiated. Sadly, a couple others unknown to our

school were dead as well. I remember a smile coming to my face upon hearing the news...
Top Top