Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2008 7:23:04 PM EDT
What are the good brands out there.. Im about to take a class to learn to ride and i need a Helmet.. I play on getting a GSXR soon.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Budget?

low cost: HJC, Scorpion

high cost: Shoei, Arai, Shark

(there are many others)

There are a lot of helmet manufacturers out there, and the MOST important thing behind a SNELL rating is fit/comfort.  Go to a dealer, and put a lot of helmets on.  It should fit snug, but not painfully tight.  If you push the helmet around on your head your cheeks should get pulled with the helmet.

What model GSXR are you planning on?  Do you have any riding experience?  Have you done an MSF course?

helmetharbor.com/  These guys are a good mail order helmet company.  I've always fit tested someplace like Cycle Gear, and bought online (except Motoliberty, but they kick ass back home in TX)
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Im taking a course first... I need the bike as we need 2 means of transportion.. Im looking at a gsxr 600 .... Ive rode dirt bikes alot... but Im not trying to get crazy.. just ride to work and be safe. As for Budget it doesnt matter.. Im willing to spend to save my live
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
ya I know of like one healer here in hawaii.. so Im gonna go there and try stuff on. Im guessing I need a large just like my flight helmet
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used Arai for 8 years now with no complaints.  My wife has a Scorpion and I have to admit that it's pretty nice for the price.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The most expensive, super helmet on the market would be $1000 wasted if it doesn't fit you well.

Go try everyone on you can put your hands on. Fit & comfort matter just as much as features or price....more in fact.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ya I know of like one healer here in hawaii.. so Im gonna go there and try stuff on. Im guessing I need a large just like my flight helmet

Start with a large, but see what one size down feels like.  I've known people that bought a XL or XXL for their first helmet due to a bad salesdouche at a stealership, and they ended up buying a large then a medium in the same brand to get the right fit once they knew what they actually needed.  Also, every brand fits differently.  Since you aren't worried too much about price tag, start with Shoei and Arai.  Check their websites out, all of Arai's different models are tailored to specific head shapes, and they advertise as such.  I believe some of Shoei's helmets are for different shaped heads, but they don't advertise it.

I'm very happy with my Shoei RF-1000 (but I'll never buy another black helmet!).

By flight helmet, are you Air Force?  I'm actually the motorcycle safety rep for my squadron
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]
nah Im navy,Im looking at the Shoei x-eleven .. gonna go try some on tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a HJC CL-15 on when my head bounced off of a concrete bridge at 40+ MPH.  I sufferred a moderate concussion (also two broken elbows, a dead deer, and a totaled 2008 Yamaha).  I now wear a Shoei Hornet.   I say you should wear a helmet that represents the value of your head.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#9]
KBC helmets are nice ,  just throw'n it out there....
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 3:36:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Most important thing is fit. A properly fitted entry level HJC is better than a too big top of the line Arai. Search google for "motorcycle helmet fit" there are numerous guides and videos to teach you.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 3:48:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Get something with good Airflow for HI.  I think my Shoei X11 does a great job.

Fitment is really important,  I lost a bunch of weight and have to get thicker pads for mine.  Fit Vid
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 5:26:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got the Shoei RF-1000 and I like it so far.  I had a HJC and won't comment any further than that.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Shoei

but as already mentioned...if it doesn't fit, it's not worth it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know if it's a "Good" brand but I have an HJC Symax II and love it. Fits great and has some really nice features $238. Check it out if you haven't already. The modular is very convenient.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#16]
If you value your life...gotta be "full face" helmet...period
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#17]
This:

Quoted:

I totaled my BMW RT in the Texas hill country 8 years ago and walked away from it.  It took out the whole left side of my Shoei FULL FACE helmet.  Don't even think of getting anything but.  Brand is secondary to what it covers.

Read a book called "Profcient Motorcycling".  I think they have a diagram in there that shows, statistically, that someting like 37% of head injuries happen to the jaw, and only something like 4% to the top of your head.  I laugh at the riders who wear those beanies and think they are safe.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This:

Quoted:

I totaled my BMW RT in the Texas hill country 8 years ago and walked away from it.  It took out the whole left side of my Shoei FULL FACE helmet.  Don't even think of getting anything but.  Brand is secondary to what it covers.

Read a book called "Profcient Motorcycling".  I think they have a diagram in there that shows, statistically, that someting like 37% of head injuries happen to the jaw, and only something like 4% to the top of your head.  I laugh at the riders who wear those beanies and think they are safe.

Proficient Motorcycling is a good but very basic book.  I lost my copy lending it out

Consider also, "Twist of the Wrist 2" by Keith Code.  He's a crazy scientologist, but the book is pretty good.  It gets more down and dirty with technique and theory.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Price != protection

Get what fits best, not what costs the most.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Good choice.....I love mine..

Link Posted: 10/11/2008 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#21]
i'm happy with my arai.

cycle gear has nearly every helmet you can imagine, and when the time came to buy a new one, i tried on every one they had.

the arai fit best, and was also remarkably lightweight.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I like Nolans
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I went with a Shoei RF1000 .. i got a medium with thiner check pads.. as the large was a little loose on the top.. guy at the store was pretty good helping me out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:42:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I went with a Shoei RF1000 .. i got a medium with thiner check pads.. as the large was a little loose on the top.. guy at the store was pretty good helping me out.

nice.....
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Great choice.

Keep the shiny side up
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I have the following brands in hand: Shoei (RF1000), Scorpion EXO-700, Sparx S-07, and GMax GM-86.I would rate them in this order Scorpion and Shoei tied for 1st, Sparx a close 2nd, and GMax a distant 3rd.

Money spent does NOT equal superior protection. Fit is most important, the rest is just features on the helmet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Great choice.

Keep the shiny side up

Real bikes are dirty.......
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is the one I wore back when I was riding. Had the first 1994 ZX9 in Tampa, and the helmet went with KAW Green quite nice. Those of you who were riding back then will recognize it

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Thats what I currently have, as well as an old X-9.  You'll won't regret the purchase.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Here is the one I wore back when I was riding. Had the first 1994 ZX9 in Tampa, and the helmet went with KAW Green quite nice. Those of you who were riding back then will recognize it

img517.imageshack.us/img517/4325/shoeiscottrussellreplicxb9.jpg

A Russell replica, nice.  I still wear mine on occasion.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I actually ended up getting an Arai RX-7 corsair.. went to pick ip the Shoei.. and wanted to try on a few others.. and the Arai just felt better... more snug.. yet still comfortable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top