Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 9:43:09 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a new clutch for my 84 Ford 460 with a t19 4spd manual. I plan to run a splitter box infront of my trans but that doesn't have an impact here I don't believe. Anyway, I want the biggest and best clutch that I can possibly buy? Also I noted that there are several input diamaters and disk sizes listed. I'm thinking a center force dual friction clutch of the 12 inch flavor outta do me right.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep centerforce is going to be your best bet.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Check with South Bend Clutch - they have a very good rep with the Cummins crowd.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you plan on using it for?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Im going to throw a wild guess out and say towing.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was going to guess haulin' ass and gettin' paid.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was going to guess haulin' ass and gettin' paid.

you know it bud!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
glue and cork board

lacking that wrap it in leather
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#8]
You have a granny gear in that transmission.... shouldn't need to do much clutchin'.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Borg and Beck style.  By far the stoutest clutch.

Diaphragm clutches are smooth but weak.  A B&B has a self-energizing feature in that centripetal acceleration of the weights causes increased clamping force.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check with South Bend Clutch - they have a very good rep with the Cummins crowd.

Brian

2nd that, South Bend is good people.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You have a granny gear in that transmission.... shouldn't need to do much clutchin'.....

Yeah until I install my overdrive unit which gives me direct and over drive for each and every gear on my trans, basically an 8spd.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Borg and Beck style.  By far the stoutest clutch.

Diaphragm clutches are smooth but weak.  A B&B has a self-energizing feature in that centripetal acceleration of the weights causes increased clamping force.

Boy I'm kind of a car guy but dam bud I am gonna have to bring out the dictionary to make sure I am understanding you correctly...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:46:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I forget the name of it but the clutch you want has 4 sinisterd bronze pucks instead of the round friction disk. It is the same setup as 18 wheel trucks run and they hold like a sumbitch. They are stiff of the clutch peddle though and cannot take a lot of slipping.

Edit: button clutch is what I'm talking about.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I forget the name of it but the clutch you want has 4 sinisterd bronze pucks instead of the round friction disk. It is the same setup as 18 wheel trucks run and they hold like a sumbitch. They are stiff of the clutch peddle though and cannot take a lot of slipping.

Edit: button clutch is what I'm talking about.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Why would I need to slip my clutch? With 4.10 gears, and granny low I figure it would be good to go?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Luk's a good clutch.

How much you wanna spend?

There are some twin disk's that hold like hell.

There are times you do slip a clutch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top