Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2004 1:11:47 PM EDT
First off PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT give advice outside these two TV's.  I am NOT AT ALL interested in any other regardless of price.  PLEASE keep it between these two TV's.  Thanks!

That being said, the price on both TV's is EXACTLY the same.
Both are brand new.

One is a Mitsubishi WS-55413 Silver Plus series 55" projection TV
The other is a Toshiba 57H93 TheatreWide 57" projection TV

Both are HDTV compatable
Both are 16:9
Both have enough inputs/connections
Both have screen protectors

Info on the Mitsubishi:  www.mitsubishi-tv.com/2003_2004_product/projection_tvs/ws_55413.html

Info on the Toshiba:  www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=57H93

Any input is VERY much appreciated as I have to decide in about 2 hours!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't comment specifically but can say that I have a Toshiba 50HX81 (Cinema Version with upgraded guns and screen) and it's been trouble-free for the 1.5 years I've owned it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I can't comment specifically but can say that I have a Toshiba 50HX81 (Cinema Version with upgraded guns and screen) and it's been trouble-free for the 1.5 years I've owned it.

Thanks.  That's along the lines of what I'd like to hear.  I don't think many will have experience with these specific models, but I am looking for general "I have a Mitsu big screen that I hate because XXXXX" or "if you look at the specs, the Toshiba has XXX which isn't good", etc.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go with the Mitsubishi.

I have had a 60" Mits for 7 years no problems at all.

My parents have a 52" Mits for over 20 years now, no problems with it either.

I think the Mits are a better TV than the Toshibas.

I am now using a projector and 102" pull down screen, and will never go back to a regular "Big Screen TV" again.

Look at the new projectors coming out, they will amaze you.  But you also need a large room to use them in.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had a Toshiba for a few months now -- Love it!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#5]
In my experience toshiba televisions have been rock-solid reliable. I don't think you can really go wrong buying one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a mitsubishi WS55313 and it's been great!  Since the WS55414 is the next better of their models I'd say get that one.  Sorry but I can't give any feedback on the Toshiba.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had a Mitsu Big TUBE for 9 years, totally trouble free, great picture, etc.

I have a Mitsu big screen, mid range, that I picked up used for $300 from a friend's parents, also no complaints.

A brother in law has a high end Toshiba HD projection, he is in love with the thing.

I think you should pick one and never look back.

EDIT__

The other BIL has a top of the line letterbox Mits, it is a VERY nice unit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#8]
From researching myself on big screens, it seems the majority say Mitsu is better quality than Toshiba. I will try to find the links I've used in the past on this subject.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The Mitsu has 1200 lines of resolution and it's a 1080i.

The Toshiba doesn't specify what the resolution is, but it's also a 1080i. Are they hiding something?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Shit tough decision, both are great TVs.

Although the resolution on both is the same, I've noted lately the Toshibas have a bit brighter pic but then the Mitsis are known for fewer quality issues and considered better build quality.

Like I said, tough one!

Tj

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Technology wise (and marketing stuff aside) these two sets are almost identical.  The key would be to actually watch them; viewing the same content, and decide which looks better to you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#12]
After reading the previous reply's you're probably going to end up with a pretty even 50/50 split on which one to buy.  Since that won't help you much, if all else is equal I'd get the bigger one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've got a Toshiba Cinema Series 55", It's maybe 3 years old?
Great picture, even way off axis. I've been very happy with it.

Check your setup options, you should be able to reset the axis.  On my Panasonic it's match the red line to the X marks.  All projection HDTVs shift when moved.

Tj

edit to add the word projection
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
After reading the previous reply's you're probably going to end up with a pretty even 50/50 split on which one to buy.  Since that won't help you much, if all else is equal I'd get the bigger one.

you'll never be able to tell the difference between a 55 and 57 incher, they are nearly the same.   Its like the difference between a 350 and 360 motor.

I have a toshiba and there is one thing i really dislike-   when you push a button on the remote, the keys get backlit for around 3 seconds.   the whole time they are backlit the remote makes a very annoying buzzing noise.    almost annoying enough for me to take it apart and disconnect the back light.

don't know anything about the mitsu

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the help guys!  Isn't AR15.com great?!  Where else can I get help with guns AND TV's all in one place?!

Quoted:
I've got a Toshiba Cinema Series 55", It's maybe 3 years old? Great picture, even way off axis. I've been very happy with it.

[edit:] mine's not a widescreen, it's standard 4:3 or whatever. It works great for widescreen stuff too though:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=1769

That looks almost exacly like where our TV is - the media niche.  The ONLY drawback to the Toshiba is that it's about 1" too wide to fit completely inside the media niche (our niche is on the ground, not raised like yours though).  But because the Toshiba is tapered a bit, it would still fit in with the "screen border" protruding a bit.  The Mitsu would fit completely inside with about 1/2 inched of space on each side.

It sounds like things are about even and no one has said anything about bad experiences with either brand, so at least I'll feel comfortable no matter which I choose.  My old TV that this one will replace is a 61" standard definition Sony, so I'm excited about moving up in resolution and getting the DVI/VGA input to connect my computer to with wireless keyboard and mouse.    Gotta have something fun to browse AR15 with!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Boy are you going to be pleased.  I moved up to HDTV same screen size and wow not only couldn't believe the difference now I'm sad when I see my 480 resolution flat screen in the bedroom.

Unbelieveable difference!  Shame I only watch movies on it.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Whatever you do, dont buy a Philips.  I made the jump into HDTV with a Philips in January of this year, and the TV has been in the shop since then.  They have replaced it twice already, and both replacemetns were defective.  I am currently waiting with crossed fingers for the third replacement.  My fourth fucking TV from them!!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Best two pieces of advice I ever got when buying my big screen -

1. Pic the one that has the best looking picture.

2. If you are thinking a 50" is nice, and a 55" may be too big, get the 60" You'll NEVER buy too big a big screen, but you may buy too small. The "bigness" wears off. Even to the wife.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Are they hiding something?

They're probably just embarrassed that it's not nearly as good as some of their older models.  It's only 1080i (aka 540 real lines by 2 frames) like the Mitsu.  My nephew has one of the Toshibas that came-out a couple of years ago, and it's really 720p.  That looks much better on HDTV sources with motion, like football games, than the 1080i Mitsu his brother has.  On normal content and DVD's, the Mitsu looked better, but on 720p sources, the Toshiba put the Mitsu to shame.  Of course, none of that applies since both of these TV's are 540's.z

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Whatever you do, dont buy a Philips.  I made the jump into HDTV with a Philips in January of this year, and the TV has been in the shop since then.  They have replaced it twice already, and both replacemetns were defective.  I am currently waiting with crossed fingers for the third replacement.  My fourth fucking TV from them!!!!

Haven't bought one since they moved out of TN.  My old one is 11 years old and never seen a service tech.  I do my own cleaning.  

Tj
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I have been into Hi-End audio/Video for over 20 Years & I can say without a doubt that Toshiba Projection TVs Have allways been Top shelf.
So go with the theaterwide you will be very happy.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Get the Mitsubishi. End of thread.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've got a Toshiba Cinema Series 55", It's maybe 3 years old? It was the best of what I could find to fit a certain size opening in my wall.
Great picture, even way off axis. I've been very happy with it.

[edit:] mine's not a widescreen, it's standard 4:3 or whatever. It works great for widescreen stuff too though:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=1769

Is that Apocalypse Now on the TV?
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for all the help and advice guys!

I ended up going with the Mitsubishi TV!

If anyone's interested, I'll take some pics and post them after it's delivered and set up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Good choice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Great choice, never give one red cent to Toshiba. In the 80s Toshiba was contracted to and given the designs to make our submarines screws, they turned around and sold the designs and machinery to make them to Russia. As a veteran submariner i'll never give them my business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top