Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 7:15:22 PM EDT
Wife mentioned, once she gets down here to FL next month, wanting to get a bike and start riding.  She's not in great shape and wee bit on the heavy side.

So, what would you all recommend for a good bike?  Obviously not a mountain bike, but something that will be comfortable for her, allow her to get exercise, and want to continue riding.  No hills here in Pasco County, and lots of sidewalks.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
A hybrid style with 27" wheels will be the best for road and sidewalk. You get some speed, combined with a relaxed upright seating position.

Trek 7500
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd second the hybrid/combination type.  Get one of the simple, cheaper types in Wal-Mart at first.  As she progresses, then you can go to a better bike.  For the latter, I recommend Cannondale or Trek.  Both are top quality, and feel different.  Just pick the one that handles/feels better for her.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to a BICYCLE SHOP

Go to a BICYCLE SHOP

Go to a BICYCLE SHOP

Go to a BICYCLE SHOP

Go to a BICYCLE SHOP

Go to a BICYCLE SHOP

Go to a BICYCLE SHOP

Go to a BICYCLE SHOP

Did I mention - Go to a BICYCLE SHOP!!

I worked for 7 years in shops and I can firmly tell you that buying from anywhere else is false economy.  You will often spend more on repairs in the 1st year than  you could ever save buying elsewhere.   In additon, department stores/walmart/target/meijer bikes are heavy, clunky junk that are poorly assembled and don't last.

Go to a BICYCLE SHOP

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Get her a beach cruiser.  Nice wide bars and a comfortable seat.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#5]
a 26x2.25 tire will be able to handle much more newbie curb abuse then a 27x1.25

get her a Giant from a shop
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/page.asp
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A hybrid style with 27" wheels will be the best for road and sidewalk. You get some speed, combined with a relaxed upright seating position.

Trek 7500

I second this.  I got my wife a 7300.  She likes it pretty well, I must admit the seat is pretty cushy  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Look for something you can integrate into your life, not a specific "exercise bike". Use it to go to the shops, bank, etc. The best thing for that is probably a three or five speed internal Sturmey-Archer style hub, fenders, and something you can slap panniers on to haul small loads. Unfortunately the style these days is all mountain bikes or wannabe mountain bikes, so a bike like that can be hard to find.

You should definetley go to a bike store. They can get you properly fitted and they sell quality products, not the crap that's at warehouse stores.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I second the "go to a bike shop" recomendation.

Also, fenders are a big plus! Then you don't have an excuse for when it's wet outside. And don't be afraid of the lycra shorts, there's a reason we wear them. They're comfortable!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]
A couple key points.

- flat bars like a mountain bike

- thin tires, like a road racer

- don't get the fat cushy seat, this will be uncomfortable once she gets in better shape, trust me on this.

- gears, not a cruiser

- professional fit at a good shop, you'll spend more there than at Wal Mart but it doesn't have to be an arm and leg.  fit is everything in terms of comfort and minimizing injury

- while Cannondale and Trek are great ( I have 2 Cannondales) you can probably save a few bucks by buying a Giant

- again, get fit by a pro shop
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Go to a reputable bike shop.

They can fit her to the bike and ensure you get something that will work well for years to come.  Avoid the walmart specials.  Those tend to be bikes of lesser quality.

Max
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Get a hybrid from a bicycle shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top