Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2012 2:00:50 PM EDT
Got my turkey frying pot out today....it's standard aluminum pot etc....There is quite a bit of nasty, old dried grease in the bottom and on the lid. I'm afraid that when it heats up, mixes with the new grease etc...it will cause the bird to taste like shit. What's the best way to really get all that stuff off without toxic chemicals? Easy Off or similar? Don't want bird tasting like that either.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Dawn and hot water.

Its cooking grease, not cosmoline. Though Dawn and hot water works pretty well on that, too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
First post should have been "degreaser."

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Hoppe's No. 9 is not the first choice.  I'd go with a degreaser to clean the old stuff out, then hot soap and water.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dawn and hot water.

Its cooking grease, not cosmoline. Though Dawn and hot water works pretty well on that, too.

This works very well. I use peanut oil if that makes any difference.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got my turkey frying pot out today....it's standard aluminum pot etc....There is quite a bit of nasty, old dried grease in the bottom and on the lid. I'm afraid that when it heats up, mixes with the new grease etc...it will cause the bird to taste like shit. What's the best way to really get all that stuff off without toxic chemicals? Easy Off or similar? Don't want bird tasting like that either.....

Spoken like a man who has never done the dishes after dinner . . .
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Throw it out and buy a new one next year?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Dawn and hot water.

Thread

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
BBQ grill cleaner (why they make such a thing is beyond me) works well too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
BBQ grill cleaner (why they make such a thing is beyond me) works well too.

Careful if that's caustic (BBQ grill cleaner) on Aluminum, I am no chemist but thought that was a no-no. (could be wrong)
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Brake Cleaner!    
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#11]
You can also put a few inches of water in there with some dish soap, fire it up, bring the water to a boil and then let it soak.  It will give you a chance to realize that you don't have enough propane to on hand to cook a turkey.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I used a all purpose cleaner I bought at a pool store called "clean and perfect" from natural chemistry.  This stuff is awesome.  It smells like citrus fruit and literally melts grease away.....I use it on about everything around the house and in my shop.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Dawn and hot water.

Thread

Seriously?  The guy has a dirty dish and you people are suggesting that he use dish cleaner?  It's this kind of amateur advice that gets people killed!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dawn and hot water.

Thread

Seriously?  The guy has a dirty dish and you people are suggesting that he use dish cleaner?  It's this kind of amateur advice that gets people killed!

LOL

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#15]
DO NOT use Easy-Off on aluminum!!!111!!!  Easy-Off is lye, which attacks aluminum vigorously.

409 should do the job.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Water, a ton of Dawn, and heat.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Throw it out and buy a new one next year?

or clean it after you use it.   Simple Green!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Non-chlorinated break cleaner?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I boil the water / dawn mixture and it seems to take the scum right off.

Quoted:
Dawn and hot water.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Labrador Retriever.  The goat of the dog world.  Have it clean in under 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#22]
+1 for boiling it out.  Worked awesome for me.  I did ditch my aluminum pot after a few years and stepped up to stainless.  Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Labrador Retriever.  The goat of the dog world.  Have it clean in under 10 minutes.
Chain the dog outside for a day or two, far away from your back door so you don't step in the grease/shit mixture when you go outside next time.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#24]
If you don't know should you really be cooking?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you don't know should you really be cooking?

Some people cook, some people clean. I cook.

I tried Simple Green on the lid and the grease laughed at it and the stiff nylon brush I was using.... Next step was going to be the heated pressure washer! I tried the Dish soap and hot water though and was able to get most of it off with that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:38:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

First post should have been "degreaser."  

No; first post should have been something like "Dumbass. Try cleaning it after you use it".

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:13:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I take mine to the self serve carwash.
For 2 bucks it's easier than setting up my pressure washer and I don't have to deal with the run off.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I take mine to the self serve carwash.
For 2 bucks it's easier than setting up my pressure washer and I don't have to deal with the run off.

I may do that when I'm done this year. Lots of ways apparently to achieve the same result. Glad I asked.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:53:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chain the dog outside for a day or two, far away from your back door so you don't step in the grease/shit mixture when you go outside next time.

Kharn

Hey, that's a whole other thread entirely.  Could be titled: "Nature's Miracle, how does it work?"

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dawn and hot water the day after you finish using it.

A stitch in time saves nine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:56:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brake Cleaner!    

The only reason I clicked on this post...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:57:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dawn and hot water the day after you finish using it.

A stitch in time saves nine.

Yea, I let someone else "clean it" last year as I wanted to get out and go hunting right after dinner. Didn't look at it until about a week ago.....dunno what they did, but it wasn't my definition of "clean". Won't make that mistake again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Get a good near boil of water rolling and brush the inside with a long handled brush.

Then Dawn and hot water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top