Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 11:57:29 AM EDT
I am cooking 2 racks of beef ribs tonight, which I have never cooked before.  I am considering boiling the ribs ahead of time since the grill I have right now sucks.  

Any good recipes, boiled or not?  Also, how long will these things take to cook?  

I will have some good, molasses barbecue sauce to use at the table, but I think that I would prefer a rub of some sort while cooking them.  If I boil them I might boil them in beer, if that makes them better.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Cover them well with the rub or sauce of your choice. Place them in the bottom half of a roaster pan with maybe a cup of water in the bottom. Seal the top of the roaster with aluminum foil.  Cook them in the oven for about 2 hours at 275. Remove them from the oven and finish on the grill.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have too much time to mess with them, so they are boiling in beer now.  I will put a rub on them and grill them when I am done boiling them.  I plan to boil them about an hour and 15 minutes.  Sound right?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Ribs never were the tenderest meat, so boiling is a good choice for loosening them up and removing excess fat.  But finish in the oven or on the grill.  Put any sauce on them after you remove them from the grill.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to cook them for several hours in an oval shaped crock pot, or if I do a ton of them, in a large electric roaster, low temperature, approx 275.

Another way I like them, I saw in Japan.  After cutting the ribs into individual ribs, the cook made repetitive  cuts in the meat 1 inch apart.  After cooking, the meat shrinks and is in bite size pieces on the bone.  It also cooks much more evenly that way.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I do nto recomend you boil them in beer
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#6]
How much of that silver skin or whatever the hell it is on the BACKSIDE of the ribs do you guys take off?  This applies to pork ribs.  

Thanks and sorry for the brief hijack!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
take it all off!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How much of that silver skin or whatever the hell it is on the BACKSIDE of the ribs do you guys take off?  This applies to pork ribs.  

Thanks and sorry for the brief hijack!

Char the ribs on the grill and scrape all that membrane off.  The membrane will make the ribs very tough.  A good slow smoking with a dry rub is always a fine choice.  When time is a big factor boiling and finishing up on the grill is a good alternative.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
take it all off!!

How the heck do you do it?  Should it come off easy?  I tried to peel it off.  No dice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top