Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 4:38:10 PM EDT
I love Egg Nog, but I know nothing about it, I was thinking about having some at the house this year. I see the shit in the store all the time in half-gallon cartons. Is this the way to go? Any paticular brand? What kind of booze should I spike it with? I dont want it to be so strong that it takes away from the flavor, but I do want it alcoholic.
Suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Nog usually is bourbon or brandy.

My favorite recipie calls for Makers Mark as the nog, hold the egg.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
buy eggnogg in the carton

put everclear in it

drink
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
MOOSE MILK  

4 qts. milk
2 qts. half & half
6 qts. egg nog
2 gallons vanilla ice cream
120 oz. amber rum
40 oz. Canadian club
4 (26 oz.) bottles Tia Maria

Mix above ingredients together well. When serving, sprinkle the top with nutmeg. Makes 6 gallons.
Note: Since this makes so much I make only 1/4 of the recipe.  You can substitute Godiva Chocolate Liquere for the Tia Maria.

Got this recipe from some Canadian officers I worked with.  Goes down like a milkshake, puts you down like a full-power shot from Squatdog.  

Oh yeah, make sure you hang the "NO SMOKING WITHIN 50 FEET" sign, the alcohol content is downright poisonous.

ETA:  BTW, this is the fat-free recipe.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Nog from the Piggly-Wiggly.
Add Rum.
Sprinkle of Nutmeg on the top.

Repeat...

DanM
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Nog from the Wally World.........
Add LOTS of Rum........
Sprinkle of Nutmeg on the top.......

Then Grab your ankles, and yell Ho HO HO!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Off-topic, but this is from a friend of mine ...

screw Eggnog... you wanna be makin' Glaciermeisters for the holidaze:

2-3 Scoops of Premium Vanilla ice cream
1 shot of milk
2 shots of Jagermeister
Mix in blender by adding the ice cream first, followed by the milk, then the Jagermeister. Blend until smooth.
mmm!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]
tag - having a party next weekend
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
buy eggnogg in the carton

put everclear in it

drink

been there done that it was very vile.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#10]
tag for when I go shopping for my new years party
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Safway egg nog, the best.
Just add alittle Crown Royal or Pendelton,
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Straight from Alton Brown.

Eggnog Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
Show:  Good Eats
Episode:  School of Hard Nogs  

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 to 7 cups

4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 pint whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 ounces bourbon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg whites*

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.
Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.

Cook's Note: For cooked eggnog, follow procedure below.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.

The American Egg Board states: "There have been warnings against consuming raw or lightly cooked eggs on the grounds that the egg may be contaminated with Salmonella, a bacteria responsible for a type of foodborne illness. Healthy people need to remember that there is a very small risk and treat eggs and other raw animal foods accordingly. Use only properly refrigerated, clean, sound-shelled, fresh, grade AA or A eggs. Avoid mixing yolks and whites with the shell..."

I haven't made it yet, hope to give it a try next weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top