Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2013 12:00:16 PM EDT
I'm sick and tired of buying new cords every month or so to replace my shitty iPhone cords that all break or short out at the small plug. What are y'all using or have any decent recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought an 8 pack of china plugs on eBay.

Been working great.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
What the hell are you doing with them? I've got three that I use constantly and have never had any of them short out for any reason.

Here's a tip, don't use the power cable as a lanyard...

I bought one of these from Monoprice as I needed about 10 feet and it works great. It's a little thicker than the Apple ones so maybe it will work better for you.
Monoprice 10' Cable
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been using the one it came with at home, and a second one just like it (made by Apple, bought at Best Buy) in my car for close to a year now.  No issues.

The problem is whatever you're doing, not the cord your using.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#5]
How the hell are you going through a cord a month?

I've been on the same one since day 1
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you using them in your vehicle with a 'bullet' adaptor?

If so, that's your problem. They're not rated for the type of bending / banging / flexing that you'll encounter inside a vehicle.

For home, get the Griffin 10 foot cable that they sell at Target. It's damn near twice as thick as the OEM one.

For the vehicle, get the InCase bullet / cable bundle that they sell in the Apple store.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I also question WTF you're doing.  I got my 5 in May and I have two cords(one from Verizon) and the other cord that came from Apple) and I haven't done anything to fuxxor the cord.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If so, that's your problem. They're not rated for the type of bending / banging / flexing that you'll encounter inside a vehicle.

For home, get the Griffin 10 foot cable that they sell at Target. It's damn near twice as thick as the OEM one.

For the vehicle, get the InCase bullet / cable bundle that they sell in the Apple store.
View Quote

That's how I've been using mine.. no problems at all.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I too have to question what you are doing.  I have had my 5 for 11mo now (got it on pre-order last year) and had 3 cables delivered with it.  Not had a single one develop a problem of any sort.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Another wtf are you doing to the cord.
Had the same cord & phone since it came out, no problems. Everyday it gets coiled up and thrown in a backpack of some sort.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're probably gentler with your phones than most.  

Almost everyone I've seen that uses the OEM cord with a "bullet" adapter in the vehicle has issues after a few months.  Usually, it's just the outer insulation peeling away to expose the shielding, or maybe the shielding being torn through and the inner wires being exposed.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#13]
No problems with OEM cords over the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Iphone plug=fail
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine do spend a lot of time in a "bullet" seems that the sheathing just weakens and falls apart from the constant moving.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#16]
You might be doing something wrong...like lighting them on fire

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top