Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 6:12:05 PM EDT
Should I buy an expensive Pelican or is there another alternative for ARs and AKs???
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
PVC tubing I suppose
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm... if you ahve as many guns as I do you may need something like this

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
PVC tubing I suppose

While I own several Pelicans and they are great for transporting weapons, they're probably a bit expensive for the purpose that you are looking for. Find the biggest diameter PVC pipe that you can get and do a quality job capping the ends. That should serve you well. However, I am not sure I have ever seen PVC in excess of 8" diameter (I'm sure you can find bigger somewhere, but certainly not at Home Depot).
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]
You can find 12" easy at a lumber yard. Caps that size are harder to find.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Just stick a cork in the barrel and toss 'er in a hole. She'll be just fine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
pvc tube inside a pvc tube

Bury the outer tube down, then when nyou want to get your stash out you just have to dig out the cap of the outer tube, open it up, and pull out your inner tube ... no having to fight to get the whole thing out of the ground.

Might try lubing up the gun and sealing it inside one of those vac seal bags inside the pvc too.  You'd have to wrap it up or something to prevent corners from popping a hole in the bag, but I bet that would preserve it a long ass time.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever defeats metal detectors, but I dont know what does that.

Otherwise PVC tubing
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#8]
If there is frost in your area you might want to watch for frost heave or you will bury it only to have it pop back up in a couple of years.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]
How deep does it have to be to fool metal detectors that would likely be used to search?

Also, it has been said that when it's time to bury your guns, it's really time to start digging them up.  Whatever that means.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Ah, I see you found a way to dispose of those unregistered NFA goodies
[J/K]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're really worried about metal detectors just buy a pound or two of nails and toss them all over the acre or so around the cash. I'm guessing they'll get tired of looking after a while.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Should I buy an expensive Pelican or is there another alternative for ARs and AKs???

6" PVC pipe.  You can buy it in 10-foot lengths but you'll likely have to special order it at a plumbing supply place.  Look up some numbers in the phone book.  Order some endcaps at the same time.  Use a PVC saw to cut to whatever length you want.  You will need to take the AR or AK's pistol grip off.  I would wrap the sharper corners with wax paper and vacuum-seal the rifle along with a screwdriver/allen-key to re-install the pistol grip.  You will also need a BUIS and have it folded down to fit the AR, or you can separate the upper and lower and pack them separately.  If you live where the ground freezes that will complicate your cache.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]
In urban and suburban areas, find your utility easements (call the power company and they will send someone out for free to mark underground pipes and cables.) CAREFULLY plant near underground utilities and your containers will be mistaken for existing pipes, wiring, etc.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#14]
PVC tubing.  Bury it vertically, exposing a smaller cross section.  And, as pale pony advises, metal signature camouflage.  I would be careful NOT to bury too close to something which is likely to be serviced, though (utilities).  Maybe nearer a drain pipe coming from your house, or install some gutter drains nearby, so that if someone gets a metal indication, they find the gutter drain and think  "Oh, that's it."  But PP's point is well taken about masking them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top