Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2009 6:57:25 AM EDT
I've been sitting here listening to some of my old riff tapes when I realized that I only have a few blank tapes left. So I thought I'd ask ARFCOM about digital recorders.

So, what is the best bang for the buck digital reecorder out there?

I'd like to use it for sitting in front of the amp when I'm just goofin' off by myself & for band practice. Also something that could kill background noise would also be good since I may use it when I'm out in the truck.

ETA:

I'm looking for a portable / pocket sized recorder.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Zoom H2. Should be able to find one new for under $150.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, I haven't heard of that one.

I've been leaning towards the Samson/Zoom H4. It has a built in 4 track, phantom powered Samson mics, ect.....

But that H2 has some other features that I like too..........

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a touring engineer, so I run into lots of house sound guys at clubs/theaters and company audio guys at festivals over the course of a year.  As far as small, effective recorders go, most of them seem to like the M-Audio stuff.  YMMV, but that's what I see the most.

Me, I don't carry recording stuff anymore unless the band is working up new material, then I'll borrow my friend's Tascam HDP-2 for a couple of weeks and use the recordings as "audio homework."

Regards - Ed

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've been leaning towards the Samson/Zoom H4. It has a built in 4 track, phantom powered Samson mics, ect.....

The H4 is more of a step between a handheld and a 4-track with some features of both but not everything you need. If you want to record a whole band playing at once without having to try to set up mics, use the H2 (even though you can do it with the minijacks). The only real advantage to the H4 is the ability to overdub and the XLR inputs. The H4n is even better (and more expensive) and sort of combines the two together and adds other features as well, but for its price you might as well buy a 4-track.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The H4 is more of a step between a handheld and a 4-track with some features of both but not everything you need. If you want to record a whole band playing at once without having to try to set up mics, use the H2 (even though you can do it with the minijacks). The only real advantage to the H4 is the ability to overdub and the XLR inputs. The H4n is even better (and more expensive) and sort of combines the two together and adds other features as well, but for its price you might as well buy a 4-track.  

I mainly like the idea of the phantom powered Samson mics in the H4. And I can see the overdub feature coming in handy if I'm out in the truck & have some ideas that require more than one guitar track.

Also, a true 4 tracker, mics, cables, ect, ect would be a pain in the ass to set up & use in the sleeper of the Peterbilt that I drive.

ETA:

But I can see the advantage of the H2 with it's 360degree mics. A guy could put it right in the middle of the band room & get everything.

Edit again, got things mixed up.......
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#6]
If you think you could use Phantom power definitely try the H4 or H4n.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, I've been reading Samson's page on the H4N. That thing is loaded up. But I like the idea of the H2 with it's ability to pick up a 360degree sound field.

Oh well, I have time to decide since I'll have to save a little out of my paychecks to buy whatever I decide.

I did look into M-Audio like Superreverb mentioned, but it seems spendy for what I'd be getting. So I guess I'm set on buying one of the versions of the Zoom Handy Recorder.

Thanks for all the replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top