Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/24/2005 12:18:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 7:36:56 PM EDT by TheRealSundance]
What are your best answers? This was sent to me after I applied for a job. I'm not really looking, just sent my resume in because i was recommended. Do you answer 5?

1. What is the reason you are looking for a new position?

2. Provide (3) key reasons you believe you have been successful in the past.

3. What is the most important aspect an employer needs to know about you?

4. What are you looking for in your next employer and in your next
position?

5. What is your current total compensation and how is it broken down?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:37:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:
What are your best answers? This was sent to me after I applied for a job. I'm not really looking, just sent my resume in because i was recommended. Do you answer 5?

because I am teh ghey and want to spread my gheyness

ghey, ghey, and... ghey... I can use the same answer thrice, correct?

I'm teh ghey... and I like commie rifles more than american battle rifles.

4. What are you looking for in your next employer and in your next position?
I like my employers to be teh ghey with me during lunch breaks. I prefer my position be teh catcher.

compen what? Are you accusing me of being gay? I'm reporting you for dscrimination. Good day to you madam.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:37:24 PM EDT

I want to better myself and secure a better future for me and this company. Then go into your credentials that you have for the new job.

Every employer has heard the "I'm a hard worker" routine...give them something different. Tell them that are dedicated to getting the job done and that havent been late or havent not gotten a job done in the past.
Say that you believe in getting the job done because it only benefits you both and doesnt hurt you if the job is done, whereas if it isnt done quickly/correctly, it hurts you.
blah blah

Loyalty is #1.

position?

Someone who will give you the independence and trust to get the job done without breathing down your neck 24/7, but will still be there to check in on things and make sure you dont have any problems or questions.
Someone who has their door open anytime for questions, comments or suggestions.
Also someone who isnt stubborn enough to tweak a few things here and there, if the things will help expedite or speed up the process of the job.

Blah....$15 an hour, overtime whenever, 15sick days a year, 12vacation days, etc.....

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:37:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

I like my employers to be teh ghey with me during lunch breaks. I prefer my position be teh catcher.

compen what? Are you accusing me of being gay? I'm reporting you for dscrimination. Good day to you madam.

LMFFAOOOOOOOOOOO

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:49:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 12:55:07 PM EDT by TheRealSundance]

You will pay. Oh, you will pay, my friend beotch!

Hey this is serious
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:42:37 PM EDT
Anyone Else?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:56:50 PM EDT

Anyone Else?

Read tyman's response. It's quite excellent.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:31:53 PM EDT
depending on the employer, if you know anything about their "values" mention how you take yourjobs seriously but you do so because you take your family more seriously and you want to give them the best... and that your attitude of giving the best carries over to your work so that you can accomplish this and go home with a smile knowing you did your job well.

Don't undersell yourself if your qualifications are enough to back up your salary "demands".

Use "industry buzzwords", but don't overdue it... especially if your being interviewed by a HR person since they might not know all the "lingo".

Here's a good "checklist"

and last but not least... play the ghey card... it's a guaranteed shoe in...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:41:54 PM EDT

and last but not least... play the ghey card... it's a guaranteed shoe in...

Only if you were doing the hiring!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:43:31 PM EDT
This isn't an interview. It's a questionnaire they sent me to fill out and send back to them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:59:58 PM EDT
What kind of job is this?

Did they approach you or you them?

Is a recruiter involved in this?

A lot of how you respond matters on these issues. If you are an executive i would blow off this little questionaire. If you are an assembler on a factory floor different approach.

Oh, and the ghey approach might not hurt.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:09:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 7:10:16 PM EDT by TheRealSundance]

Originally Posted By jimmybcool:
What kind of job is this? Management

Did they approach you or you them? I sent them a resume

Is a recruiter involved in this? Yes. It went to a recruiter.

A lot of how you respond matters on these issues. If you are an executive i would blow off this little questionaire. If you are an assembler on a factory floor different approach.

Oh, and the ghey approach might not hurt.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:17:36 PM EDT

This isn't an interview. It's a questionnaire they sent me to fill out and send back to them.

In that case, how long do you have to submit it?
Let this thread run for another day and then cut and paste some anwers from in here... I doubt you're primitive intellect will be able to do better than what's been thrown around so far.

Was the questionaire sent ot you in an e-mail or snail mail? Definitely type up and print out your responses on a separate piece of paper versus handwriting it on the same sheet. Print it out on good paer.. maybe go to Kinkos.. they have sweet paper and it's fairly affordable. Looks way beter than printing off a home printer unless you have a high speed laser printer. Maybe do it on a letterhead you created for yourself... but definitely make it look as professional as possible if it's for a managament position.

And tell them you have worked with Mr Dixon. Dixon your MOUTH!!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:18:45 PM EDT

Hive mind:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh­hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

Just ask the damn question........

Skip the "hive mind" bullshit!

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:22:43 PM EDT
OK. It is a fine line we walk in these things. First, you do NOT want to come across as either a job hopper or a disgruntled employee. You have to sound like everything is fine - just that you ar a take charge guy that thinks there is a biggerr world out there and you have more to offer than your current position will allow. So:

Opportunity to expand management skills and grow in a bigger/smaller more aggresive/traditional yada yada. In other words, THEY have a better place for YOU to showcase your rare talent and skills.

I hate this one. It BEGS for smooze. I see no way around it though. Team player, hard work, even a bit of good timing (luck). Nothing wrong with trying to show both confidence AND humility.

You know, in business about 5% of the people you hire do 95% of the real managment work. The rest take assignments if you are lucky. Try to word an answer that explains how you can be on the 5%ers that achieve measureabble results. Gotta be careful though if you are applying to Goodwill, they just want someone that will manage the sttore and trucks, not cause problems. If you are applying to Cisco systems as a Regional Sales manager - you gotta come in a charge of a team. Good and tough question.

This is a repeat of #1. Just reiterate you want an opportunity to move up and learn new skills with this obviously better company.

Ahhhh. if you are in management here is a good one. If you really want to move do NOT lie about your compensation. If you are OK staying then LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH. The last time I changed jobs I told them I was making 40% more than I was. They upped it from THERE. But be careful - the last time I changed jobs I was a datacomm expert in Silicon Valley in the boom days.

And I still like the ghey approach. Couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:22:54 PM EDT
Make sure to throw plenty of lingo from the web economy bullshit generator in there, which will impress middle management.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:30:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:

Hive mind:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh­hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

Just ask the damn question........

Skip the "hive mind" bullshit!

Fixed it for you. any thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:31:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 7:33:35 PM EDT by TheRealSundance]

In that case, how long do you have to submit it?
Let this thread run for another day and then cut and paste some anwers from in here... I doubt you're primitive intellect will be able to do better than what's been thrown around so far.

Was the questionaire sent ot you in an e-mail or snail mail? Definitely type up and print out your responses on a separate piece of paper versus handwriting it on the same sheet. Print it out on good paer.. maybe go to Kinkos.. they have sweet paper and it's fairly affordable. Looks way beter than printing off a home printer unless you have a high speed laser printer. Maybe do it on a letterhead you created for yourself... but definitely make it look as professional as possible if it's for a managament position.

And tell them you have worked with Mr Dixon. Dixon your MOUTH!!!!

Emailed on friday. Didn't come with a deadline. But said asap.

Her is part of the e-mail:

Dear TRS,

Thanks for your reply and interest in the Mgr. position with XXXX Company. Your background looks very good, and I think you are an excellent match for this position. As part of the qualifying process, XXXX would like all qualified candidates to complete the attached questionnaire. Please complete and return to me as soon as possible. Once I receive, your resume and completed questionnaire will be sent to XXXX for further review.

Thanks, and look forward to seeing your completed questionnaire.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:33:34 PM EDT
Definitely be ready, if/when you get to the interview phase to be asked "leadership" type questions relating to managment scenarios. Some places will throw out some "think fast" curve balls like this to see how well you can come up with a solution on the spot in order to gauge your management potential.

and make sure when you get to the interview you wear one of those ghey pride rainbow power ties...

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:34:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 7:36:05 PM EDT by TheRealSundance]

Definitely be ready, if/when you get to the interview phase to be asked "leadership" type questions relating to managment scenarios. Some places will throw out some "think fast" curve balls like this to see how well you can come up with a solution on the spot in order to gauge your management potential.

and make sure when you get to the interview you wear one of those ghey pride rainbow power ties...
Will a Jerry Garcia tie work? What do you normally wear?

Not worried about the interview, been through plenty. I alway do fine. Just never had one of these before.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:36:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 7:38:37 PM EDT by IamtheNRA]

$$$$$
I love to make $$$$$
I love to make $$$$$
I love to make $$$$$

I'm a greedy bastard!
position?
More $$$, of course!
More than you make, dude!

There...that'll win 'em over!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:38:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 7:39:07 PM EDT by TheRealSundance]

Originally Posted By IamtheNRA:

$$$$$
I love to make $$$$$
[I'm a greedy bastard!/red]
position?
More $$$, of course!

Bingo! I want to be able by more guns! Honesty is the best policy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:38:53 PM EDT
I want more money and less responsibility.

1. Others have paid me for doing what I do.
2. They didn't fire me.
3. They are still paying me to do it.

I want more money.

position?
See answer for question 3.

My current compensation is not as much as I want to make and the break down is company policy prevents them from giving me the raise I deserve.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:39:02 PM EDT

Dear TRS,

Thanks for your reply and interest in the Mgr. position with XXXX Company. Your background looks very good, and I think you are an excellent match for this position. As part of the qualifying process, XXXX would like all qualified candidates to complete the attached questionnaire. Please complete and return to me as soon as possible. Once I receive, your resume and completed questionnaire will be sent to XXXX for further review.

Is that a summarized version or wa it actually that 'informal"?
Dazzle them with BS but definitely don't overdue it.... if they're as laid back as they seem then you can possibly use that when you get to the interview.

Obviously use your spellchecker for your response to the questionaire... and have someone else read it a couple times to make sure you didn't make any simple grammar mistakes. Granted they probably read through these pretty quick and might not scrutinize too much, but if it's a blatant mistake itmigth count against you.

Best of luck to you...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:40:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 7:41:11 PM EDT by IamtheNRA]

Originally Posted By IamtheNRA:

$$$$$
I love to make $$$$$
I love to make $$$$$
I love to make $$$$$

I'm a greedy bastard!
position?
More $$$, of course!

Bingo! I want to be able by more guns! Honesty is the best policy.

Yup! They will surely be impressed!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:41:14 PM EDT

Dear TRS,

Is that a summarized version or wa it actually that 'informal"?
Dazzle them with BS but definitely don't overdue it.... if they're as laid back as they seem then you can possibly use that when you get to the interview.

Obviously use your spellchecker for your response to the questionaire... and have someone else read it a couple times to make sure you didn't make any simple grammar mistakes. Granted they probably read through these pretty quick and might not scrutinize too much, but if it's a blatant mistake itmigth count against you.

Best of luck to you...

That's it. From the recruiter. I just XXXX the companies name.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:41:46 PM EDT
Best advice that can be given is to be honest in your answers. Considernig how much of your life you will give to your job you might as well be fit for the task.

Tailoring your answers to get something is lying and lying is deciet and deciet can lead to nothing good.

Patty
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:45:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pattymcn:
Best advice that can be given is to be honest in your answers. Considernig how much of your life you will give to your job you might as well be fit for the task.

Tailoring your answers to get something is lying and lying is deciet and deciet can lead to nothing good.

Patty

I won't lie about my skills, I don't need to. My specific type of job is a small community. They will most likely know someone in the biz who knows me or someone I have worked with.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:53:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 7:54:40 PM EDT by SHIVAN]

I am pursuing a challenging and rewarding growth opportunity.

I am an extremely diligent worker. I strive to succeed at any task in which I am involved. I understand how to work as a team, while still completing individual tasks.

Personal growth in my career is important to me.

position?

A challenging and rewarding environment where my skills can be utilized to the fullest.

My total compensation consists of:

Salary: $XX,XXX
Health Insurance: $X,XXX
401K Matching: $XX,XXX
Bonuses: $XX,XXX
Life Insurance: $XX,XXX
Accrued Vacation: $X,XXX
Accrued Sick: $X,XXX

Since the "approved" questions a new employer can ask do not include their incentive packages or which you qualified for, I would use the highest tier plans in your current company, use the maximum matching dollars you COULD get, even if you don't actually use it all, etc........
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:02:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 8:03:46 PM EDT by Paul]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:06:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:

It's a trap! Not really their business, I'd already know the level of compensation for their position or at least the expected industry norms and would just tell them my salary was consummate with industry norms for a person with my experience. I would tell them that I expect to earn my pay and get paid appropriately for the value I bring to the company.

Answer will be used against you to get you as cheap as possible.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:28:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2005 9:56:29 PM EDT by niceguymr]

Originally Posted By tyman:

I want to better myself and secure a better future for me and this company. Then go into your credentials that you have for the new job.

Every employer has heard the "I'm a hard worker" routine...give them something different. Tell them that are dedicated to getting the job done and that havent been late or havent not gotten a job done in the past.
Say that you believe in getting the job done because it only benefits you both and doesnt hurt you if the job is done, whereas if it isnt done quickly/correctly, it hurts you.
blah blah

Loyalty is #1.

position?

Someone who will give you the independence and trust to get the job done without breathing down your neck 24/7, but will still be there to check in on things and make sure you dont have any problems or questions.
Someone who has their door open anytime for questions, comments or suggestions.
Also someone who isnt stubborn enough to tweak a few things here and there, if the things will help expedite or speed up the process of the job.

Blah....$15 an hour, overtime whenever, 15sick days a year, 12vacation days, etc.....

Good luck.

+1

I haven't read through this entire post, but I can tell you this post above I've quoted is definitely right on track. I have conducted countless interviews and the worst is when people suck up and say what they think you want to hear. Show some gumption, confidence, compitence, and independence, but don't downplay teamwork and allways show respect and desire for good, strong, experience leadership. Remember that your greatest strength should be integrity, and your weakness should be impatience.

I've coached many people on interviewing skills that have helped them land the jobs they wanted most.

Don't lie about past compensation dollars because many companies will ask for your past 2 yrs W2 forms to verify. Don't lie about your driving record or anything else that can and will be verified with your signed written consent. Drug testing is a no brainer. Prolong the test (or interview process) as long as possible and necessary to rid your body of THC or other recreational drugs. Anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks for recreational use of THC and less for others - presuming a gov't standard urine test. Hair tests are a bit longer - anywhere from 1-6 months, depending on hair length.

Don't seem desperate. Seem confidence in what you already have... you just know you can do better. You don't want them to think you're unhappy with your current emploer and wan to leave. Quite contrary, you're very happy where you are... You'll only consider a new job if can offer you greater opportunities for career growth than what you currently have. "It would take a lot, something great, to take me away from my present job". You get it? And if you don't have a job, apply these same principals. You simply aren't just going to take any job that come along. You want one where you can shocase your greatest skills and benefit/profit form these skills. You are an asset to any company, and you'll only take a position with a company that sees these qualities and compensates you accordingly.

Never talk bad about your present/past employer. You loved them, and they couldn't stand to see you leave. You're just looking to expand your career in way your present/previous employer could not acommodate, that's all. Remember, you don't want to ever seem like you're unhappy in your present job - you just feel stagnant and want to grow. Try to maitian a list of present/past coworkers/bosses who you ABSOLUTELY KNOW will provide glowing references about your job skill and committment to do your best all the time. Make sure they us the term "integrity". That is priceless.

Always know as much about the company you're interviewing for. Do a google search, learn some facts and stats and info about the company. I always impressed when interview candidates tell me stuff about my companie that I don't even know.

Get to know and make friends with as many current employees for the company you're interviewing for. Those friends my help push the decision in your favor.

Dress your best. It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed. You can always loosen you tie and top shir button to dress it down a bit.

Carry an 'at a boy book' - a folder/binder with documentaiton of any accomplishments, be it professional or personal. Letters from bosses, awards, letters from customers, past performance evaluations, examples of things you've done above and beyond the call of dutie... Even personal things like competeing in sports, dedication to family, life experiences/accomplishments, challenges you've overcome, organizations you're involved in or contribute to and be able to explain why these are important to you. Have some substance. Nobody want's to hire someone who lives only for themselves. Show ways that having you be sucessfull benefits others around you as well.

Always ask for a business card before you leave and either gain a committment for the job, a second interview, or a call back time/date. Don't leave an interview not knowing what the next step/course of action will be.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:41:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By niceguymr:

+1

I haven't read through this entire post, but I can tell you this post above I've quoted is definitely right on track. I have conducted countless interviews and the worst is when people suck up and say what they think you want to hear. Show some gumption, confidence, compitence, and independence, but don't downplay teamwork and allways show respect and desire for good, strong, experience leadership. Remember that your greatest strength should be integrity, and your weakness should be impatience.

I've coached many people on interviewing skills that have helped them land the jobs they wanted most.

Don't lie about past compensation dollars because many companies will ask for your past 2 yrs W2 forms to verify. Don't lie about your driving record or anything else that can and will be verified with your signed written consent. Drug testing is a no brainer. Prolong the test (or interview process) as long as possible and necessary to rid your body of THC or other recreational drugs. Anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks for recreational use of THC and less for others - presuming a gov't standard urine test. Hair tests are a bit longer - anywhere from 1-6 months, depending on hair length.

Don't seem desperate. Seem confidence in what you already have... you just know you can do better. You don't want them to think you're unhappy with your current emploer and wan to leave. Quite contrary, you're very happy where you are... You'll only consider a new job if can offer you greater opportunities for career growth than what you currently have. "It would take a lot, something great, to take me away from my present job". You get it? And if you don't have a job, apply these same principals. You simply aren't just going to take any job that come along. You want one where you can shocase your greatest skills and benefit/profit form these skills. You are an asset to any company, and you'll only take a position with a company that sees these qualities and compensates you accordingly.

Never talk bad about your present/past employer. You loved them, and they couldn't stand to see you leave. You're just looking to expand your career in way your present/previous employer could not acommodate, that's all. Remember, you don't want to ever seem like you're unhappy in your present job - you just feel stagnant and want to grow.

Always know as much about the company you're interviewing for. Do a google search, learn some facts and stats and info about the company. I always impressed when interview candidates tell me stuff about my companie that I don't even know.

Get to know and make friends with as many current employees for the company you're interviewing for. Those friends my help push the decision in your favor.

Dress your best. It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed. You can always loosen you tie and top shir button to dress it down a bit.

Always ask for a business card before you leave and either gain a committment for the job, a second interview, or a call back time/date. Don't leave an interview not knowing what the next step/course of action will be.

Good luck!

Great post dude!!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:54:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PeteCO:
Great post dude!!!!

Thanks, I've added a few other things since you posted this, but THANKS really. This is all the things I've learned in corporate america for the last 20 years. I guess you can call them 'pearls of wisdom' or 'keys to success'. They have always worked for me and anyone I know who has applied these prinicipals. This is always a work in progress though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:34:27 AM EDT
Be honest about compensation. As a Recruiter I knew what the market was and had a pretty good idea where you should be. And a lot of the Comp people are in organizations that have pretty good information about what the others have in ther packages.

So if you are too low, and you know it, that's one of the reasons you are wanting to move, they aren't paying you what you are worth and their Company Compensation Policies keep them from increasing you to where you should be. Companies can be stupid that way but thats the way it is.

So tell the truth, if we ever got a current compensation quote (and we often didn't ask, our offer was pretty much set going in) and if the quote was out of our ball park, we'ld check to see that our ballpark was valid, and if it was we'ld either stop at that point if we couldn't match or beat and if the guy was really interested some times they would come over straight if the intangibles were right. (kind of work, who working for, less commute, etc), or if we were still possibly interested at the higher end or past we would ask for check stubs. If you were making that , we'ld have to decide where we were going to go, usually internally and sometimes with the candidate, again sometimes we if we were up front that our budget was limited, sometimes they'ld come and sometimes not.Again if they really wanted out and knew they were on the high side, getting out was worth the difference.

AND IF THE STUBS SHOWED THEY HAD LIED TO US, what do you think we did?

Again, companies generally have a pretty good idea what a job is worth, and if they aren't willing to pay it, they don't fill the job. Seen that as a consultant, Manager convinced what he wanted to pay, a year later still hadn't filled the job.
Top Top