Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2001 12:20:30 PM EDT
Looking for a pump shotgun w/ tac light or one that would be worthy of one. Best not most expensive Thanks for the input guys [):)]pg
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#1]
get a remintong 870 then u can trick it out with all the after market parts or send it in to scatterguntech and have them do it for u

edited to fix a really bad typo
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#2]
They're all EVIL.  Ban them.  For the children.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#3]
870 is always a good choice. There's also nothingto bitch about a 590. Being left handed I prefer it to the 870, the safety is easier to manipulate.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
You can put one of these together for around $600....

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/fv/kv/9u/YJ84635.jpg[/img]

Remington 870 Express HD; Speedfeed stock; Surefire light; SGT sidesaddle, follower, and spring; TacStar mag extension. Still gotta get SGT ghostring sites.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm kinda preferential to my mossy 590... but I gotta get one of those pistol grip speed-feed stocks!  Hey Gus, where'd ya find that?
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
 I'd say go with the 590. Why buy an 870 and spend a bunch of cash on it just to get the same features the 590 has right off the rack. Mine came with factory standard ghost ring sights, speedfeed stock, extended magazine, and parkarized finish. I paid just 395$. If it's good enough for the Marines it's good enough for me.

Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/013/F2/Lb/qg/tL87869.jpg[/img]

870P.
I was going to get a Speedfeed stock fer it too, but I have decided to go folder instead...
Since I am going to mount optics, I can't have a top-folder...
So it will be BC all the way.
BTW- Screw all that Scattergun Tech nonsense.
50% of it is trash to make your shotgun look "scary".
SideSaddles, "Heat Shields", big mean looking slings that hold hulls....all garbage IMO.

If you want a top-end shottie, get it VangComped,
[url]www.vangcomp.com[/url]
Hans did one for my friend, and it was an AMAZING gun...
Mossberg is functionial trash. I don't care it the Marines use them. They are Lowest Bidder garbage.
If you want to get into "Who uses it" to justify a particular gun, SEALS use 870's.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They're all EVIL.  Ban them.  For the children.
View Quote

Now your starting to make sense, maybe there is hope to end this evil gun culture.  [smoke]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

SideSaddles, "Heat Shields", big mean looking slings that hold hulls....all garbage IMO.

If you want a top-end shottie, get it VangComped,

Hans did one for my friend, and it was an AMAZING gun...
Mossberg is functionial trash. I don't care it the Marines use them. They are Lowest Bidder garbage.
View Quote

Wow, thats interesting. I don't think I have ever seen heat shield on a SGT. As far as what they do - the one that I have shot was a real improvement over a standard 870 - no doubt.

As far as the mossy being "functionial trash" that is interesting too. I have been speaking with Hans this last week as I am planning to have him build me a gun. His take on it is "Do you like Ford or Chevy". Infact, the reason that the Mossberg VCS guns are cheaper than an 870 VCS is simple - he does not have to do as much to them. Additionally, he stated that in some ways the mossy was better b/c the repair of gun generally means unscrewing the damaged part to replace it. While the 870 often needs to have a silver sodder (sp?) broken apart and then re-soddered - which generally means send it back to the factory.

Anyway - back to the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Yugo
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you want a top-end shottie, get it VangComped, ....
View Quote

I chose the SGT parts only because I got a great deal on them at a show. No heat shields here, but it is nice to be able to grab one item and have plenty of ammo attached. It's strictly for home defense, so it would only be used for very short ranges. Therefore, IMO, the plain cyl bore will work just fine.

Nice 870 though, McUzi!

RYANG - Cheaper Than Dirt sells the whole Speedfeed line.

TOBIN - I never saw a shotgun by ANY manufacturer that had a Speedfeed stock as original eqpt. Also, my 870 is factory parkerized too.

A 590 IS a great shotgun for home defense use , and I tend to agree with the Ford / Chevy analogy (I prefer Mopars myself). I just grew up shooting Remingtons and see no reason to change now. I also own a Benelli M1 S90, but that's a different animal.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Speaking of which, I shot the hell out of mine today and got the bruise on the shoulder to prove it! (Slugs)

[img]http://www.ncsg.org/topohat-small.jpg[/img]
...[:)]
View Quote

Yeah buddy!!  My little 870 kicks like a pissed off mule with full power slugs!!! WAY harder than my Benelli.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the way the Mossberg 590 looks with the heat shield and the flat black finish. What ever you do you need to get a pistol grip or a folding stock. The PIstol grip and folding stock makes the gun more deadly. (well thats what some politians think)

Six
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#16]
The 590 Mossberg looks even deadlier with an AR-15 bayonet attached.  It's enough to make a Million Mom faint.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

TOBIN - I never saw a shotgun by ANY manufacturer that had a Speedfeed stock as original eqpt.
View Quote

Gus - Mossy has about 8 models with a speedfeed stock as original equipment.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#19]
If you can afford a Benelli I'd get that (ever bind up a pump? It took me 2 days to free my last one). If you want cheap, I'd go with the 870, I've seen good deals on ScattergunTech. lately on GUNBROKER.com I think around $500.
Best of both worlds...M3SUPER90.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the Mossberg 590 and the Remington 870 I like the 590 better becuase I found it easier to reload. There is a stupid lip that sit in front of the tubular magazine and I jam my thumb on it. That is why I would never by a remington. I am not saying they are bad shotguns but I just like Mossbergs better.

Six
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 2:19:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TOBIN - I never saw a shotgun by ANY manufacturer that had a Speedfeed stock as original eqpt.
View Quote

Gus - Mossy has about 8 models with a speedfeed stock as original equipment.
View Quote

VERY Cool!!  Is it the stock with the shell carriers or just the plain sided stock? Just curious - I simply wasn't aware they were or ever had made them. Ya learn something new every day around here!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 2:25:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
does anyone own both the 870 and the 590, or have real, helpful insight into the handling and shooting of them? how about a thorough comparison?

i am looking at a tac shotgun within the next month or two- would like to know more about them. have recently shot the 590 and benelli m1s90. prefer a pump, but have never fired the 870? your ideas?

anyone have good/bad stories about wilson combat/scattergun tech?

anymore info on vang comp? was another considered upgrade...

have also been thinking about NFA (short barrel) shotgun, as better for home defense... your thoughts?

anyone going to answer and not just flat out bitch or flame a particular gun?

View Quote

If you're looking at a tac shotgun for professional use, then a NFA gun will depend on your department and the application. For home defense, I would avoid NFA like the plague.
A prosecutor would have a field day with that if you ever had to use the thing. It would be bad enough with the accessories, but a gun that required special licensing would make his day.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 2:35:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I have both an 870 and a 590.  Both are very good shotguns.  The 870PD with rifle sights has a smoother action and the wood stocks look a little nicer.  It does have the drawback of being limited to 5 shots because of little humps on the end of the magazine tube that prevent the attachment of a mag extension.  The 590 starts off with 9 rounds, has a barrel shroud (which is put there to keep you from burning your fingers), and a bayonet lug in case the 9 loads of buckshot or slugs weren't enough to kill the bad guy.

From shooting the 2 I've found that the 870 seems to have slightly less perceived recoil.  

If you want a shotgun that has many desirable features off the bat get the Mossberg.  If you want more aftermarket options and a smoother action get the Remington.  Or, even better, get both.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 2:50:42 AM EDT
[#24]
GASP!

I said "Scattergun Technologies" when I meant to say "TAC-STAR" ==

Yes, ST makes an AWESOME gun...
Tac-Star "Let's see how much garbage we can add to a shotgun" is dumb.

Link Posted: 7/11/2001 3:10:57 AM EDT
[#25]
thanks for all the input guys good prices for either one 300 - 500 ? [):)] pg
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 3:34:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

You will be able to get either REM's or Mossjunk for under that price ceiling.

My issue with Mossberg relates to a personal thing.
They had [b]H_U_G_E[/b] QC issues from about the mid 70's, until the last 6 or 7 years.
In the 80's, they were the "Lorcin" of shotguns.
They improved dramatically, i'll give them that.
I will just never be able to get over the "Mossberg" name I guess.
I have owned REM870's forever (It was my 2nd gun I ever owned when I was a wee little kid) and NEVER had a problem.
LEO's never have had a problem with them.
The Armed Forces have never had a problem with them.
They are proven as being one of the best Shotguns for the $$$, assuming you don't want to go Benelli, and NEVER NEVER fail.

Oh yeah. SERIOUSLY look at Aguila's "Mini-Slugs" as ammo for your defense Shottie.
12ga Slugs have IMMENSe knowkdown power due to their insane frontal area- Better then any handgun. The Mini-Slugs provide a low recoiling specail purpose slug VERY SUITABLE for defense applications, and you can stuff a whole lot of them into your tube.
Also, use 16 Pellet #1 Buck. Screw 000.
When you are 1/2 disoriented from sleep when the bag guy kicks in your door, you want a better spread then 8 pellet 000 gives.
Whether you go with any of the "ought" bucks, or #1 as your load, I recomend Federal for anything.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:07:49 AM EDT
[#27]
[size=5][b]REMINGTON 870 [/b][/size=5]
I had a Moss.590, I didn't like the rattle, it sounded cheap.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/027/MS/uZ/wv/UQ92307.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I have owned both, and I like both. I had a Rem 870 and she was a sweet gun. After a few years I sold it. Now I have a Mossberg 590 A1 (maybe it’s childish, but the bayonet lug on the Mossberg is really sweet); I like the Mossberg just as well as the Rem. 870. Mossberg quality is very high these days – unlike in years past.

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a rem 870 i think they have really good recieaver's ive had mosseburgs, i also had winchester defender shotgun. you cannot go wrong
with a rem 870 there are many ways to configure
a 870.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I paid $250 for my 870 Ex HD, $30 for the mag extension, $20 for the side saddle, $100 or so for the Speedfeed stock, and $10 for the mag follower and spring. Right around $400 minus the light. The Surefire forend costs anywhere from $175 to $250 (I paid $175 on eBay). Either gun should cost about the same except it may be harder to get a deal on the same light for the Mossy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Gus: the 590 i have had a factory speed feed stock, holds two shells on each side inside the stock, spring loaded. As far as prices, I would say between 375$ and 400$ is pretty fare.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Gus: the 590 i have had a factory speed feed stock, holds two shells on each side inside the stock, spring loaded. As far as prices, I would say between 375$ and 400$ is pretty fare.  
View Quote

Just goes to show that I haven't been paying much attention to the shotgun market lately!!!
Remington should do the same. Is the pistol grip version available?
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Gus:   I haven't seen a pistol grip version, it would be nice though! I argee with you, Remington should follow suit.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#34]
For anyone who is interested:

In the equipment exchange section - "Cleaning out my Safe" - Cheeks is selling a 590 A1 for $335.00
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I have both a 870 and a 590. My 870 is a police model with factory seven shot tube and ghost ring sights, my 590 is the marine coated version with the 8 shot tube and bead sight. The only difference I noticed is the 870 action seems a little smoother, but I have only put 20 rounds through the 590.
If anyone is interested the 590 is for sale. I have three different stocks for it, the original box, paper work, lock, warranty card etc.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#38]
 I can't believe no one mentioned the Winchester 1300 DEFENDER . I own one and love it .
    Works like a charm and can get accessories for it to . " The pump that thinks it's an automatic "    That's what the manual says .
 Mine is smoother than silk .   I own a Mossey
for dear season but in SHTF situations I want
my Defender .
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#39]
[img]http://www.finalfront.com/hosting/users/geepgeep/ithaca.JPG[/img]

My Ithaca 37. Can't say it's evil but it's smooth and easy to handle.
-rigid
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#40]
In my mind the most evil shotgun of all time is the USAS-12, with either a drum magazine or clip.  It is now considered a destructive device and rare as hen's teeth.  I looked at one back in 1994, but the thing was as heavy as an I-beam, so I didn't purchase it.  The concept was very desireable, but it reminded me of the weight of the M-60s we used in the Army.

As far as what shotgun to buy, the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 series shotguns are the best buys for the money.  If you find some extra cash laying around then a Scattergun Technologies model or a Benelli could be obtained.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In my mind the most evil shotgun of all time is the USAS-12, with either a drum magazine or clip.  It is now considered a destructive device and rare as hen's teeth.  I looked at one back in 1994, but the thing was as heavy as an I-beam, so I didn't purchase it.

theres even a FA usas 12 thats the really rare one. as far as the semi usas 12 goes there not that rare just expensive for a shotgun 750 bux plus another 200 for a tax stamp. manley for a gun that is for looks uh no thanks i got to shoot a semi usas 12 once with the 20 round drum yeah it was fun but not very practicle weighed to damn much
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:56:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Speaking of auto shotguns, I can remember back in the early `70's the Army was doing feasability tests on a full auto shotgun. There were drum mag and belt fed versions. I believe they nicknamed it the "jack hammer". The shells were made completely of brass because the chamber got so hot it would have melted any plastic shell. I don't know who the manufacturer was but it may have been AAI. The beltfed was tripod mounted and was to be a perimeter defense weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top