Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2015 12:48:04 PM EDT
Well, the first week of warm weather is here, and spiders are out in droves already, I've found 3 inside the house in the last day. With a toddler who is curious about everything, I want to minimize intruders with more than 2 legs.
What do you guys use outside the house, and inside (like unfinished basement and garage) that is effective for terminating 8 legged critters with extreme prejudice, without giving everyone in the upper level living areas a 3rd arm or a tail?
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Biggest problem with 8 legged critters is you have to hit them with the poison.  I got some of those sonic repellents.  They have greatly reduced the ones inside.  Outside I let them eat the other critters I don't want in the yard.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Start with gasoline.  Once a match is lit they die in seconds.

This is the only way OP.

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Lysol actually works on contact.

Lemon Pledge seems good to spray in corners and stuff. Our basement is like a dungeon, so we have the same issues you do.

This sounds weird, but I actually like having wolf spiders around. When we sprayed the spiders were gone, but we ended up having those annoying mole crickets chirping.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lemon Pledge seems good to spray in corners and stuff. Our basement is like a dungeon, so we have the same issues you do.
View Quote

yeah, our basement is unfinished, but insulated, so the bottom edges where the insulation meets the floor looks kinda like this  |} where the insulation tapers off it makes a little groove the spiders LOVE to live in.. want to kill all those fuckers in there and keep them dead
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Permethrin. But it by the quart and mix it extra strong in a garden sprayer and spray around all openings and outside walls. It works as good or better than the stuff the pest folks use and its cheap enough to do 2 or 3 times a year. I live in a log house and carpenter bees are my main problem. This stuff will kill them along with wasps as good as anything my termite guy used.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tempo SC Ultra

It's Liquid God Smite.  Not cheap, but kills everything, for months.    $50 for 8 oz bottle, but that makes many gallons of spray ready.

http://www.backedbybayer.com/~/media/BackedByBayer/Product%20Images/Tempo%20SC%20Ultra%20-%20240mL%20-%20Insecticide%20-%20Pest%20-%20Golf%20-%20Lawn/Tempo%20SC%20Ultra%20-%20240mL.ashx
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
TERMINEX
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I use D-fense SC around the outside and inside. Works great on crickets and ants, better than any regular store bought stuff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a good house cat that is on spider patrol 24/7.

She eliminates them on the spot, instantly.

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had really good luck with this. Nuke the entire yard and trees and perimeter / sides of the house:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00409QKRY/ref=pd_aw_sim_lg_8?refRID=1KPNZ55NQ10CAE570HFQ
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Tempo SC Ultra

It's Liquid God Smite.  Not cheap, but kills everything, for months.    $50 for 8 oz bottle, but that makes many gallons of spray ready.

http://www.backedbybayer.com/~/media/BackedByBayer/Product%20Images/Tempo%20SC%20Ultra%20-%20240mL%20-%20Insecticide%20-%20Pest%20-%20Golf%20-%20Lawn/Tempo%20SC%20Ultra%20-%20240mL.ashx
View Quote
How do you spray it?  MAchine?  Regular bottle squeeze spreayer?

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tempo SC Ultra

View Quote

wow outstanding reviews on that stuff!
is it super toxic? (I know all pest control stuff is, but that does indeed seem like liquid God Smite from the reviews i was reading.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Biggest problem with 8 legged critters is you have to hit them with the poison.  I got some of those sonic repellents.  They have greatly reduced the ones inside.  Outside I let them eat the other critters I don't want in the yard.
View Quote

There is truly no data, aside from anecdotal information on various internet sites, as to the effectiveness of these devices.

http://www.orkin.com/ask-the-orkin-man/ultrasonic-sound-devices/

And, one might add, no logical reason to suspect that they would work.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Permethrin. But it by the quart and mix it extra strong in a garden sprayer and spray around all openings and outside walls. It works as good or better than the stuff the pest folks use and its cheap enough to do 2 or 3 times a year. I live in a log house and carpenter bees are my main problem. This stuff will kill them along with wasps as good as anything my termite guy used.
View Quote

This. Only problem is that it deteriorates fairly rapidly in areas with light.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#18]
We had a lot of brown recluses. The Tempo SC kicked their ass. I think I did a better job with it than the pros we called in and whatever they used.

I spray it with a three gallon pump up sprayer. Thanks for reminding me I am going to go mix up a batch this afternoon. Haven't sprayed since last fall.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Spider traps.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Demon WP.  I know they say you have to spray spiders directly, but I've seen dying spiders a month after I sprayed.   Maybe another insect got into it and the spiders were poisoned by the dying insect.  We had black widows really bad until I used Demon.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Tempo sc has great reviews.. Prime next day delivery ftmfw!
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#24]
75 grain TAP.

Apply directly to arachnid.

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Propane torch & spray brake cleaner, be certain you buy the flammable stuff. Homemade flame thrower my friend.

Good times...gooooood times!
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag.

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#27]
See avatar.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Cyper WP

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Tempo SC Ultra

View Quote

I use this on exteriors at work. really good product. I like Onslaught as well. I like Onslaughts label better and can use it in kitchen type situations.With Tempo, I have to watch it a little more around food prep areas and am limited during kitchen use of area. As mixed for exterior work, it does wonders and has a little better residual I find than Tempo.

But, like I said, I always have Tempo SC on the truck.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I use this on exteriors at work. really good product. I like Onslaught as well. I like Onslaughts label better and can use it in kitchen type situations.With Tempo, I have to watch it a little more around food prep areas and am limited during kitchen use of area. As mixed for exterior work, it does wonders and has a little better residual I find than Tempo.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tempo SC Ultra

are you a pest control guy? You think Onslaught is really that much better than Tempo? Or pretty damn close, just slightly better?
would either be safe for a basement that gets occasional traffic from people and animals, but mucho traffic from critters?
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Tempo SC Ultra

View Quote

wow thanks for the recommendation - i've been wasting money on Ortho Home Defense.

but curious to how it compares to it in terms of non-staining, smell, on plants, shrubs and grass etc?

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Cypher WP... easy to mix and won't kill humans.

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tempo SC Ultra

This!

That or Suspend SC. Deltamethrin sp? BAD ASS STUFF
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For applying the Tempo SC Ultra, spray around the outside of your house for about 3 ft in all directions from foundation.  Then spray all inside corners and places bugs and spiders like.

It's a super-win because it kills both spiders and the entire spider food chain.

It mixes with water for application, as long as you don't have kids licking where it was applied, you won't have problems with humans nearby.

--ETA:  Permetherin stinks like diesel fuel.
View Quote

It must be something added to the permetherin that smells.  Repel and Sawyer permetherin is odorless.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Viper Permethrin. But it by the quart and mix it 2 oz. per gallon in a garden sprayer and spray around all openings and outside walls. It kills anything with more than four legs. DO NOT spray it into the wind and get it in your eyes, even with glasses. The shit will burn, your eyesight gets blurry and your eyes turn bloodshot red. If you get it your eyes, jump into a cold shower with the water on your face. And stay there for about 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:29:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I have used the cyper and the demon wp which are basically the same thing. They kill them dead also but they leave a white residue behind. It is really noticable on dark surfaces. I bought a bunch of it before I knew and now I just use it outside. I use the tempo inside.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51O%2B8lNWU0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#39]
no spam, but i love this website http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com

been using this

and this

the combo kills just about everything
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I go around the perimeter of the house each spring with this. Keeps just about everything out.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:28:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:33:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Malathion.  Spray a foot up the exterior and a few feet out.  Keep kids and dogs out of the yard for a few days, but after that you are golden for months.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:39:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I go around the perimeter of the house each spring with this. Keeps just about everything out.

http://i.imgur.com/mJaI1aa.jpg
View Quote

That doesn't do anything for my house.  I go through two each spring/summer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 2:05:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This sounds weird, but I actually like having wolf spiders around. When we sprayed the spiders were gone, but we ended up having those annoying mole crickets chirping.
View Quote

Wait until you get bit by one; I think you will change your mind. The bad thing with wolf spiders is that they will crawl into bed with you for warmth, then bite you when you move. I'd rather have cellar spiders (the long leg ones).  They won't crawl into bed and bite you, and they are effective at getting bugs and nastier spiders for you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:02:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/mJaI1aa.jpg

I get centipedes infiltrating my house in the summer.  Home Defense didn't really do much to stop them.  It did kill the few spiders that get in, though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Either one is a really good product.
Quoted:

are you a pest control guy? You think Onslaught is really that much better than Tempo? Or pretty damn close, just slightly better?
would either be safe for a basement that gets occasional traffic from people and animals, but mucho traffic from critters?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tempo SC Ultra

Yes I am....Either can be used indoors per label. I like Onslaught because it's formulated for longer residual. It has just as good initial "knock down" as Tempo (I also like Temprid for outside work) Onslaught has a broad label and I'm very comfortable using it in interior situations.
The stuff (Tempo and Onslaught) is safe when dry for indoor use. You apply it according to directions in either a fine or coarse spray. Hit corners and two foot swaths in the upper corners at the wall/ceiling junctions. Avoid run off, you do not need to apply it heavy. Apply where they crawl. Either one is a winner in my opinion. PM me with any questions.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#47]
So, Mr Gribble is a member.??

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51O%2B8lNWU0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
View Quote

I use this. It will kill anything with more than 4 legs or swims with extreme prejudice. I live on the edge of the desert. Bought my house 3 years ago, have sprayed this stuff 4 times in and around the house. The only things alive in my house besides me are my plants and dogs.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Tempo.  You can get it at tractor supply.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Lysol disinfectant spray. Works on most insects. Some will need a bigger bath then others.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top