Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2002 7:31:55 PM EDT
Our company has used McAfee for the last several years for virus protection.  However, in the last year or so, it seems that NAI/McAfee has become somewhat of a hustle.  Without boring everyone with the details, I may be changing brands of virus protection for our office.

What do you gals/guys prefer for computer virus protection?  I have always found McAfee to be very effective, but because of their business practices, I may be switching to another "brand."  What say yea?  What is YOUR computer antivirus favorite?

Thanks,

ARnSC
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Norton is on this box, and I'm more than satisfied with its performance so far. Also have zonealarm pro as well for a software firewall. No complaints here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The best prevention next to abstinence, is the use of a condom. - C. Everett Coop
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
McAfee AKA Network Associates can take a flying leap off a cliff.  I've done business with these unprofessional fucks who think their shit don't stink, and am amazed they are still in business, you unrealiable monkey fucks!
Right now there is no way McAfee can survive the Pepsi challange with Norton.  DO NOT DO BUSINESS with these wad gobblers.  They can't do shit for you.  Any McAfee fucks in the audience please feel free to kill yourselves.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I concur with the consensus that Norton is good stuff.  Though the gunrunner is absolutely correct.  The only truly virus-secure computer is off-line, with no external disk drives.  And no write access to the hard drive. [;)]

And cereal, I'm not a mod or anything, but I'd respectfully suggest cleaning up your post before a mod does it for you.  I understand that you have strong feelings on the issues, but rules are rules.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The best prevention next to abstinence, is the use of a condom. - C. Everett Coop
View Quote

LOL!!!  I knew *someone* wouldn't be able to resist that!!!  But, you are right!  [:D]

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:03:16 AM EDT
[#7]
For my personal use both at work and at home I use a freebie - AVG by Grisoft. It has worked great! They also have a business version available I believe check em out

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
McAfee AKA Network Associates can take a flying leap off a cliff.  I've done business with these unprofessional fucks who think their shit don't stink, and am amazed they are still in business, you unrealiable monkey fucks!
Right now there is no way McAfee can survive the Pepsi challange with Norton.  DO NOT DO BUSINESS with these wad gobblers.  They can't do shit for you.  Any McAfee fucks in the audience please feel free to kill yourselves.
View Quote

Hey, Cereal-Killer... come on man, tell us how you *really* feel!  LOL!!!  But I absolutely agree with you.  Heres's why:

We have used McAfee for over 10 years. After NAI bought them, the product got worse for awhile, but later, began to get better and better.  So we have stuck with them.

As a network administrator/tech support flunky, it is my job to keep all the servers, workstations and printers, etc.  running and protected from viruses.  Lately I have begun to experience "spooler32" errors, which might as well be called "crashes" because it take a complete reboot to recover from them.

I suspected the culprit was McAfee.  So after trying my best to fix the problem, I called tech support.  I was told that my tech support agreeement with them had expired!  Was I shocked to hear that, because I remember renewing it for two more years last summer.  Well, after going thru several people I was told that what I had purchased last June was McAfee ASaP Silver ($600+), and that I no longer had support for the product that I was using!

I am hear to tell you that I was screwed by McAfee.  I did not intend to buy ASaP Silver, or any other new product.  I was lead to believe by my slick McAfee rep, that I *was* buying support for the products I already owned.

And add to that... I had never been told what I had purchased or how to use it.  I don't even know how to use ASaP.

I know.. buyer beware and all that.  McAfee will get an earfull from me Monday, and if I don't get credit for the $600+, screw them.  I will change to Norton.  [chainsawkill]

Thanks for your advice.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Steelviper... I agree that being offline is the best, but that, of course, is not an option for an office these days.  Besides, they wouldn't need me!  [;)]

I doubt that I will get far with McAfee in my negotiations to get credit for the $600+ and renew my previous support agreement.  So I will be looking into Norton.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For my personal use both at work and at home I use a freebie - AVG by Grisoft. It has worked great! They also have a business version available I believe check em out

Later

IAJack
View Quote

Thanks IAJack... I'll have to check 'em out. [beer]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#11]
One word of caution about Norton -- DON'T INSTALL NORTON SYSTEMWORKS!!!!!!

I did, and now I'm gonna have to take the time to wipe it all out.  My computer is crashing and locking up constantly because of the various bits of garbage that Norton installed by default.

Every ten minutes the system monitoring program pops up some stupid warning dialog about how some component is out of date and it's gonna go check the Norton site for updates.  Every time I reboot (which is pretty damn often, because it locks the system up about twice an hour), it informs me that I am "out of space" on my D: drive (even though I've got plenty of space left).

Its "CrashGuard" component locks the system up completely every time Netscape crashes (which happens every few minutes when I browse AR15.com), so I have to disable it.

And it has some other godawful piece of garbage which bogs the machine down;  it takes roughly twice as long to start Netscape as it did before I installed Norton.

Norton AntiVirus works great as far as I know -- I used 4.0 previously for years without any trouble, anyway, and I assume 5.0 isn't what's causing all the problems I mentioned.  But the rest of the garbage doesn't work worth crap.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey 71-Hour_Achmed
1. Launch System Works
2. Click Options>>Norton Anti Virus
3. Click Live Update under Internet.
4. Disable Live update

That should solve your boot problem.  You should be able to turn off crash gaurd from the Systemworks option.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#13]
i am in the Airforce and we use Norton corporate at work.  i have tried macafee but hatted it.  the AF even strongly recommends we download Corporate edition from them to run at home.  free virus definitions for ever.  dont install system works!  been there done that too
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to get by with just common sense and a bit of precaution for 10 years, and encountered 2 viruses in that time (well, that I know off ;) Never bothered to install any anti-virus program, as they slowed the system down too much for my taste.

The first part of that isn't true anymore, since you can catch nasty things by merely reading a website, and for the second part, well, I guess there's one reason to have a hot rod computer, so it can "multi-task" a lot better.

Norton Antivirus here, since 1999, plus the annual upgrades, and the almost daily updates. Don't bother with anything else from Symantec.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I have never had a virus but I thought I was pushing my luck so I put norton on my machine a few days ago.  My hard drive started to die yesterday and I'm still trying to determine whether norton is related.  I have heard that it messes with stuff it shouldn't unless you turn off some of the options.  So this isn't a recommendation of any kind, just something to think about.  Let me know if I'm completely off base.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks to all of you for your tips and recommendations. I too have had problems with other Norton products (ike zonan had), and that's why I have stayed away from them.  But it's looking more and more like I am "fixin'" (as we say down south) to have a conflict with McAfee.  I will probably go with Norton.

Thanks 71HA and machinehead... I won't install system works.  Sounds like it sucks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top