Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 4:32:51 PM EDT
Anyone ever been to Belize?

I am getting married in August and am beginning to plan our honeymoon.

Everything I have researched online looks pretty nice.

Anyone been there?   Any comments,... etc?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
There were a lot of girls from Belize at my college. They were all very, very hot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Must....resist.....urge......to.....post......Hedo......pics........
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
From the CIA World Fact Book:
"major transshipment point for cocaine; small-scale illicit producer of cannabis for the international drug trade; money-laundering activity related to narcotics trafficking and offshore sector"

Carry a blade in the sole of your shoe or flip-flop just in case you get kidnapped.
Just kidding. Have fun.
Post some pics of topless beach action if you make it back.
Kidding again. Sorry.
I'm serious about the pics, though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Must....resist.....urge......to.....post......Hedo......pics........

IM them to me...  

Especially if in violation of CoC...  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Went about 2 years ago, off season. It is a cruise ship stop, so you have to plan ahead on what you are doing. Some days you want to do something and it will just be you and your wife. Other days, 500 people will be there with you.
We went mainly for the scuba diving, but did a few side trips on the main land. As I understand it, some parts of the main land you do not want to be at when it gets dark. The cayes were pretty much okay, and we walked around at night quite a bit. Mostly because there were no cars on AC. You could rent a golf cart, but I couldn't see paying 30 bucks a day for one.
There are many resorts there, but don't go for the beaches. It is protected by the 2nd largest coral reef, so there really shallow areas with a lot of sea grass growing.
Cave tubing and the jungle areas were pretty interesting if you don't scuba dive. Also there were some mayan ruins to go to.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#6]
"Belize is a very expensive city..."
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Here you go
http://bananabeach.com/index.html
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]
mag162,  have you actually been to this resort?  or are you just offering me a link to one of a million resorts in this country?

The website looks nice and San Pedro looks like a cool island.  I would love some more information.

Thanks,
Stangle
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I knew a asshole that had a fish farm there
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#10]

I would think Belize would be very hot in August.  Might want to check that our.

I am no expert tho.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#11]
GO!!!

Just wear your lucky ham around your neck when you go scuba diving...there's some big Tigers down there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#12]
If I remember correctly, San Pedro is the main town/city on the most popular (possibly largest) of the cayes, called Ambergris Caye  (cayes are islands, like the Florida Keys - pronounced the same way "key")

San Pedro is close to the south end of the caye/island with a ton of resorts sprinkled up along the coast.  It is primarily visited by scuba divers, since (as someone else mentioned) the barrier reef is only about 200 yards off-shore.   The diving is great, so if you guys are scuba certified, you can make that part of your honeymoon.  There is even better diving on the smaller atolls, a few hours further out - like Turnefe and Lighthouse Reef.

San Pedro is pretty safe, even in the evenings - but I've heard that inland can be somewhat iffy, and that the capital (Belize city?) can be a bit dangerous.

On the other hand, day trips into the various Mayan ruins are really, really cool - and there is lots of neat wildlife as you take boat trips up the rivers.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#13]
You might want to verify this but I think it got hit hard by a hurricane this year
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Drove there a few years ago, thought it would be the highlight of my trip but it was the opposite.  I loved Guatemala but found Belize to be a bit of shithole.  I felt that many (but not all) of the people seem to have a chip on their shoulder, Belize City is a slum, the cayes have nice beaches but not where I'd want to spend my honeymoon.  If you can go to Europe, I'd rec the Amalfi Coast in Italy, especially Positano.  If you want to go to the Caribben, most of it is not as nice as you would think.  St. Thomas and St john are pretty nice though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Day trips to the ruins and cave/river trips will be a must.

I was thinking that it might be cheaper after the hurricane damage.

I know I want to go to Central America but I'm not sure about Mexico.  I have been to Cozumel and really liked it.

Anyone know of any other cool places in Mexico/Central America.  Looking for all inclusive stuff.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought there was osme sort of low level revolution going  on there
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#17]
a lot of illfounded speculation here. i have been to Belize 3 times most recently this past november. its beautiful. i love it. its definetly 3rd world but until the 1990s it was a british colony so they have modern infrastructure. (modern for the 3rd world) and english is the official language.

Belize is much how i imagine costa rica was befre the eco-tourism hippy boom of the 90s. its absolutely beautiful but unlike costa rica it is flat as a pancake save for a spiny mountain ridge in the center of the country.

one of the best mayan pyramid sites in latin america is available for you to see at Altun-Ha. its about an hour drive by bus from Belize city.

buy some Travelers Rum. best rum in the world and only $6/bottle

the belizean dollar is fixed to the US dollar at 2:1 so if you are off the beaten path dont pay $10 US for something thats $10b or you paid twice as much

"bamboo chicken" is what they call iguana. i found this out after eating a plate of the best damn chicken and rice i ever had.

if you go on a cruise ship you must tender ashore, theres no pier. if you are there for any amount of time you can catch a ride on a cessna caravan for about $40 to anywhere in the country

eating local can be tough, the chinese have taken over. not even american fast food has been able to penetrate their monopoly on restaruants.

email me if you want some pics, i can email you some from any of our 3 trips.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#18]
ooops
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been many times. If I were you I would Go to Costa Rica instead. Check out "Jaco" Nice for a Honeymoon and close to adventure if thats what you looking for. Safe, Friendly, and not too expensive. congrads
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I've been many times. If I were you I would Go to Costa Rica instead. Check out "Jaco" Nice for a Honeymoon and close to adventure if thats what you looking for. Safe, Friendly, and not too expensive. congrads

I'd aggree with above and offer roaton off of honduras as another consideration, secluded, great diving/snorkeling, off the beaten track, not much nightlife though. Depends on what ya want.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Check out Costa Rica, the west coast looks a lot like Hawaii without the people.

I was working in San Jose for a couple of months and when the project ended, I didn't have anyplace that I need to be so I just rented a car and decided to drive to the end of the known world.  
I had a great time, beautiful country and cheap and safe.  

It was an adventure because I didn't know where I was going and didn't know what I was going to find once I got there and I didn't care.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Day trips to the ruins and cave/river trips will be a must.

I was thinking that it might be cheaper after the hurricane damage.

I know I want to go to Central America but I'm not sure about Mexico.  I have been to Cozumel and really liked it.

Anyone know of any other cool places in Mexico/Central America.  Looking for all inclusive stuff.

Mexico:
Acapulco - avoid at all costs, it's a $20 whore 20 years past her prime.   Anybody that likes it doesn't know any better.
Puerto Vallarta - fairly nice beach town plus unlike Cozumel, it actually feels like Mexico.  Beaches are not nearly as nice as the Yucatan though and have a heavy undertow.
Tulum - my favorite Mayan ruins but not much else to do around there.

Guatemala - Tikal, Lake Atitlan, and Antigua are awesome but not really honeymoon material.

Panama - forget it

Costa Rica - eco tourism type stuff is OK, not really honeymoon material though

If you want to limit it to Mexico/Latin America, Belize is one of the better choices. This is your honeymoon though, sell a rifle and go to the south pacific or Europe.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd aggree with above and offer roaton off of honduras as another consideration, secluded, great diving/snorkeling, off the beaten track, not much nightlife though. Depends on what ya want.

For a honeymoon?  You're kidding.  Jaco is for surfers, hippies, and hookers.  I wouldn't think of going there for my honeymoon and I'm a surfer/hippie (but not a hooker).
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never been there, but the travel shows I have seen about it indicate it's kind of a poor 3rd world shit hole. Great for scuba and fishing, but not a lot else. A lot of cars stolen in the US end up there. One of their police chiefs drove an SUV stolen from San Diego for years.

They do have good beer, especially the dark beer. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember it was on the sweet side but very drinkable. Maybe like San Miguel dark.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I 've been going since 98' I been pretty much all around the country . I your looking to spend a a bunch of $ Blancano is probably the best resort in the country folowed by Turtle Inn , both owned by Francis Ford Copala . Blancano is inland and has the only hydro slectric damn in the country . Turtlle Inn is on Placencia Pennsula .
Belize is a very frendly country ...but is being changed by the crack cocian trade . Unless you are staying at the King George Hotel , I would get out of Belize city the same day I arrived in country . It is dangorus .

Most folks go to Ambergris cays (Key) (island) . There is some of the worlds best fly fishing for Bonefish guides take you poling along . Holchun marine preserve is IT for a "tour" 45 min boat ride in a glass bottom boat like my wife insisted on or less in a gofas boat . Even in Sanpedro there isnt much nightlife pretty much over by 9pm . They realy havent gotten into the tourisum thing too well yet wich is what I like no Holiday Inn No pizza Huts very few places even have ITMs but ithat has gonin better . The first time we when they didbt knoe what a Travelers check was !

I LOVE the place and may move someday .

If you tell me where you are thinking of going I can probably recomend places . I liked Cay Cauker (corker in some spellings) and Placeciea Pennencila . I made some freinds there . Tell me what kind of $$ you want to spend per night . If you are looking for something cheap that can be had too . All hotels are mom and pop things . Cant wait to go again . RL
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Would really love to go the all inclusive route.

Anyone know of anyplace on Ambergris Caye  (San Pedro) ?  or will I need to go to the mainland for that?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#27]
There were 3 or 4 that I remember seeing, and a new one on the far side(at the time,) we visited them all. Honestly can't remember any of the names. The new one was a pirate thing like blue beard or black beard or something. Some where like hotels, others had like grass hut type places to stay. They all had pools as well as being on the "beach". Like I said, there really isn't much ocean swimming. Unless you walk way out, it doesn't get much more than knee deep.
We stayed in a little hotel a bit of a walk away from the main part of town.

There are a lot of bars and places that seemed open all night. But be aware that AC is a one or two dirt road town. Had like A street with a bunch of little shops, a grocery store, and a 7-11 type store, one big resturant, and a bunch of little mom and pop resturants at the time we were there. So if you like rustic and walking then go for it.
I just don't want you to think it is like Hawaii or the carribien(sp). And if you go anywhere else, you have to hop a flight. Most times it is included if you do a package deal for trips to the main land.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I dont know what all inclusive means ? But for jungle , rivers , howler monkies , maya ruins ..........you have to go to the mainland . It can take all friggin day to go 40 miles in a rental susuki sammuri .

You do not need fancy clothes . And overwieght people have a rude awakening . It's third world and HOT 98/98 temp humidity (local joke) very little AC . many times ive laid down trying to sleep w/ 3 fans blowing on me no covers .......you are damp sticky most of the time ...but so is everbody else . this site might help .

http://www.placencia.com/

IM me if you want suggestions . They (the places I've stayed) go from $15 a night 200 ft from the beach to one I know of 20 bucks a night on the beach .

But no commercialization like you know or tourisum either it caters mostly to Ecotourist types . Dont let armed school girls scare you  , nearly everybody carries a machette , not for hurting people for cutting yards , snakes .  Take suntan lotion and DEET 100% dont let any tree hugin salesman talk you into citrus this , or enviormentaly frendly that ,,,some of that enviorment wants to suck out all your blood , acept no substatuts (sp) DEET 100%
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#29]
We went in January. Not too bad of weather, but still warm. Take a river tour, lots of cool animals (including some you DO NOT want in the boat)

The boat ride was a lot of fun. Go like hell for 5 or ten minutes (2 outboard motors) till the guy sitting on the front of the boat with his bare feet dangling the edge sees something of interest and the driver hits the brakes (figuratively).

Everyone speaks english and is educated. What surprised me the most is they are NOT Latino but Black. Some Mayans as well but they are minorities.

Go to Altun-Ha. Awesome! You get to climb all over the place with no one telling you what you cannot do. And there are no hand-rails...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Go to Altun-Ha.

Is Altun-Ha the one that's on the Beliken Beer label?  That was a nice place, and we had a beer on top of the pyramid.  

Here's my wife (then fiancee) on top:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top