Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 5:43:53 PM EDT
Arfcom Mechanics!  You havent failed me yet!

I have a 1996 Chevy C1500 5.7l Vortec that over the last few days has been draining off of the battery gauge.  It normally ran just a little above the 14 mark but has been getting lower since yesterday morning.  Now just above the 1/4 mark (around 9-10 maybe).

Not sure if it is the alternator or the battery.  Whats the best way to diagnose it.  Used to, pull the ground cable off and if it ran it was the battery (back in the old days) but I know thats not the same today and could fry the ECM/Computer.

What says the Hives Grease Monkeys?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd start by checking the belt to see if it's tight enough and not slipping
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Take it to autozone or advance they will test both on the car.

ETA if the alternator shit out and you have the puny one upgrade to the much better one. The ad244 is superior to the cs130d in every way, and is a much easier upgrade for you then it was for me to do on my blazer.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/technical-maintenance/401516-96-98-vortec-alternator-upgrade-ad244.html

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You can replace the brushes in those CS130D alternators, without disassembling the alternator.
Plastic cover comes off the back, brush holder cover snaps off, two e6 torx screws hold down the regulator and brosh leads.

about  a dollar and 30 minutes should get you another 70,000 miles.

Unless you have been ignoring the problem long enough to burn away the copper slip rings.... then you'll need   a new alternator, or rebuild for  the same price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top