Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2022 7:15:02 AM EDT
I figured I should put this question to Arfcom, y’all are a wealth of knowledge.

My son and his new wife are stationed in Norfolk starting next month. I’ve heard some negative things about the quality of life of the on-base housing. Any tips or advice?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The place is ghetto. Move away from the base.

Ret. USN
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#2]
It was that way 40 years ago also. But then, it is  Norfolk.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Left Hampton roads in 2001. Glad I did. I stayed away from on base housing and rented an apartment in Hampton Va. It was nice through the 90's.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The place is ghetto. Move away from the base.

Ret. USN
View Quote

Most of Hampton Roads is anymore.

We bought a house in Suffolk near the state line. 1hr commute one way, but it was worth it to avoid the ghetto life that is Norfolk.

Also Ret USN.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Step daughter is there for the Navy and it's pretty ghetto in a wide area of the base. She bought a town house about 20 minutes west and I would say the neighborhood is just OK. From my time out there I'd take the advice above and look about an 45 min + away to find a good neighborhood.

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Norfolk is a bit rough.  But it has some very nice areas.  Depending upon their budget they can find some nice rentals just off base.  But it is pricey.

Suffolk is not far away.

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, ok, thank you.  It's sad to think that the military would allow their on base neighborhoods to become ghetto-like.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
The problem in the Hampton Roads area is that living in a nice neighborhood requires commuting. If you have to transit one of the tunnels you pay tolls and endure constant traffic delays, sometimes hours. My daughter worked on Oceana and lived in Portsmouth. Her job allowed her some flexibility on hours so she could manage drive times. Her husband worked at Portsmouth naval hospital so it kind of made sense. They lived in a decent neighborhood for Portsmouth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top