Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2002 7:30:04 AM EDT
After singing engagement she uses the opportunity to bash Bush and impressing everyone with her knowledge of Shakespeare by quoting some of his work. Today it is revealed that what she quoted Shakespeare never wrote!!![shock] hehehehe biotch![:D]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, it's that same bogus "Caesar" quotation that the local anarcho-libertarians were throwing around shortly after 9-11.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#2]
What quote?  Any pointer to the article?  I take misquotation of Shakespeare personally.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#3]
"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar." - - Julius Caesar

[url=http://www.boortz.com/aug9-02.htm]Boortz fell for it, too it seems[/url]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What quote?  Any pointer to the article?  I take misquotation of Shakespeare personally.
View Quote
I caught it on the Today Show this morning....Yeah I know!.....which if ya think about it is just as bad for information as Streisand herself. I just thought people on the board might be amused this morning...
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#5]
What I can't imagine is that anyone even remotely familiar with Shakespeare's style of writing wouldn't have immediately recognized that the language used in the quote wasn't his at all.

And who hasn't read [i][b]Julius Caesar[/b][/i] through a few dozen times?

Maybe not [u]today's[/u] students, but Barbra Streisand comes from a period when classical literature was still taught in even the public schools!

And apparently Neil Boortz doesn't remember English literature very well, either.

Eric The(That'sAShame)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar." - - Julius Caesar
View Quote

Does anyone know where this quote comes from? Is it a direct quote from Caesar?
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's a pseudo-Shakespere quote for Bab:

"Out, damn slut, out I say!"
- McBeth
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't understand why Babs doesn't LOVE Bush. They both have uncompromising support for Israel. Certainly that is more important than any domestic business.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Like ETH said, that "quote" doesn't even remotely sound like any Shakespeare I've ever read.

Eric, I must admit I have only read Julius Caesar once; of his tragedies, I prefer King Lear.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#10]
There are many different versions of the same "quote". Some are supposedly from Hitler, some from Goering.

Who knows if it's a legit quote.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I've read the same quote posted half a dozen times on this board by the likes of liberty86, except they attributed it to Julius Caesar himself.  I myself thought it didn't sound anything like Caesar or dialogue from antiquity, and thought it must have come from Shakespeare's play [8)] Having seen Hamlet again last Sunday, I realize now how dumb that is.  Isn't even in the meter Shakespeare's plays are written in [8)]

Well, at least I didn't say it to thousands of people to try to look literary and to score cheap points against the President.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Post from Francisco_Dantonio
Eric, I must admit I have only read Julius Caesar once; of his tragedies, I prefer King Lear.
View Quote

Think of all the quotes that you are familiar with from [i][b]Julius Caesar[/b][/i].

At this moment, I can only think of one quote from [i][b]King Lear[/b][/i] that has made it into Bartlett's -

[b]"How sharper than a serpent's
tooth it is to have a thankless child."[/b]
           - King Lear, Act I, Scene 4.

That is how I usually rate his works - when his Muse was kind, he wrote memorable lines, when not, the lines were wholly forgettable.

Eric The(Literate)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#14]
[url]story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/021002/170/2d3j7.html[/url]

Reuters blames the hoax on Drudge.  He did rip her good for her spelling on her note to Gephardt and also got no end of pleasure outing her on this Shakespeare deal but he did not start it....she did.  

Drudge should demand an apology from Reuters.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does anyone know where this quote comes from? Is it a direct quote from Caesar?
View Quote

It's a direct quote from a 21st century HOAXSTER, into which a lot of morons thoughtlessly bought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top