Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 9:16:00 PM EDT
After my very first post!The post turned to union bashing. I simply posted my opinion, being a union member of the corporation they were talking about.
I did not curse, attack, or flame anyone.
No explanation of the deletion of my post at all.
Unbelievable!
Kev.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]
SA,

I thought WE were the lunatic fringe [:D]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate unions  [:D]

Aviator

Looking for Jim Dandy to stop by soon.  [;)]

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
kevf7

How about a link to your post so we can see what you said? Free Republic does not allow disruptors or obvious trolling.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:49:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Disruptors? Where have I heard that terminology before? [:)]

Bob
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:57:24 AM EDT
[#6]
FR's boards are very difficult to navigate, too.  I dont like the layout. I very rarely go there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:34:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:37:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Unions Suck.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:47:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont know, observing the airlines industry the unionized workers are consistently asked to make sacrifices in layoffs and paycuts, while the pilots aren't touched and the executives get pay raises and bonuses as the share prices tank.  In the case of airlines, the unions have every right to be angry and to refuse making further sacrifices.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:05:55 AM EDT
[#10]
You see a lot of complaining about the corrupt mass media misleading the "sheeple" over at Democratic Undergroud/Free Republic (take your pick).
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:07:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I dont know, observing the airlines industry the unionized workers are consistently asked to make sacrifices in layoffs and paycuts, while the pilots aren't touched and the executives get pay raises and bonuses as the share prices tank.  In the case of airlines, the unions have every right to be angry and to refuse making further sacrifices.
View Quote

Then the poor downtrodden union memebers shoul find other employment, leaving those fatcat pilots to swill out the toilets.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#12]
The poor union workers and pilots are doing the best job they can.  The role of the managers/executives is to make the investors money.

So when the managers FAIL and investors lose money why is it those lowest on the rungs get treated the most harshly, while those who in theory are responsible for the performance of the company and its return to investors, get raises?

I'd be less sympathetic to the union workers if I saw it was their shiftlessness and corruption (which is true in a lot of industries) that caused airlines to lose money. If I saw the executives sharing their grief, willing to make sacridices in hard times, I would probably not sympathize with airline unions so much.  But I dont see airline executives sharing the sacrifices they demand from unions over and over again.  On the contrary. I see them getting obscene bonuses, completely undeserved considering how bad the stock price has done.

I talk with my uncle, who used to be CEO of an airline, about this  alot. His company's top executives never made more than about $500k a year, and they always led by example cutting their own wages when times got hard.  The net result?  Alaska Airlines's market cap is more than the market cap of the two biggest airlines, AA and UA, COMBINED.

It's not just the just thing, it is good business.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#13]
This site beats DU any day of the week, and might be more pro-union...

[url]http://www.soviet-empire.com/modules.php?name=Forums[/url]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:30:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Disruptors? Where have I heard that terminology before? [:)]

Bob
View Quote

Klingons?

OH CRAP!!!!!

The trekkies are comming! [b]The trekkies are comming!!![/b]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#15]
While I agree that executives seem to weather the storm way better than the lowly union worker or the non union lower employee, but they usually don't take a big hit because they educated themselves for years to get where they are, and the average worker has not, and is therefore indespencable.  I don't really agree, but I don't have a masters either so I might not know what I'm talking about...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I dont know, observing the airlines industry the unionized workers are consistently asked to make sacrifices in layoffs and paycuts, while the pilots aren't touched and the executives get pay raises and bonuses as the share prices tank. In the case of airlines, the unions have every right to be angry and to refuse making further sacrifices.
View Quote

When NWA & the IAM were having problems a few years ago the local newspaper said that the average mechanic made > $100K, so don't feel too sorry for them.

I have a friend who worked for NWA in middle management & she got the ax as soon as the company got into a little problem.

FWIW the airlines had a real tough time in the last recession, in the early 90's, & several almost went out of business.  Continental & NWA come to mind.  Yet in the late 90's they had their best years ever.  Why didn't they have the foresight to do what you & I should do, i.e., stash away some of that cash for the future?  Remember that shortly after 9/11 they went whining to the.gov for handout & received a substantial subsidy, not counting the .gov bailout in the "no lawsuit" .gov compensation of the 9/11 survivors & relatives.

My sympathy for the airlines is limited.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:37:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I was in a union.  They sure were happy to take my dues and promise to support me if I should ever need it, that's for sure!

When I DID need their support, I got at best only a little token resistance even though it would have taken the pulling of just a couple of routing reports to prove that I was being hosed.

I'd never join another union ever under any circumstances.   They can fuck themselves.

Nothing, but NOTHING, is as stupid as a bunch of union monkeys who refuse to take a cut to their already exorbitant pay in order to save enough money for the company that (over)pays them for that company to stay out of bankruptcy.

And yet that has happened recently.

It's bad when employers abuse their employees, but it's just as bad when employees' unions abuse the employers.  Maybe even worse.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:17:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I dont know, observing the airlines industry the unionized workers are consistently asked to make sacrifices in layoffs and paycuts,[red] while the pilots aren't touched[/red] and the executives get pay raises and bonuses as the share prices tank.  In the case of airlines, the unions have every right to be angry and to refuse making further sacrifices.
View Quote

Shows how little you know.

Most pilots in the US are members of the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), the union for airline pilots. And yes, they often ARE 'touched' when it comes down to belt tightening time.

How do I know?

My wife works for ALPA.

I still don't like unions though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#19]
kevf7, We are waiting for the link to your post. Are you ashamed to post it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was in a union.  They sure were happy to take my dues and promise to support me if I should ever need it, that's for sure!

When I DID need their support, I got at best only a little token resistance even though it would have taken the pulling of just a couple of routing reports to prove that I was being hosed.

[red]I'd never join another union ever under any circumstances.   They can fuck themselves.[/red]

Nothing, but NOTHING, is as stupid as a bunch of union monkeys who refuse to take a cut to their already exorbitant pay in order to save enough money for the company that (over)pays them for that company to stay out of bankruptcy.

And yet that has happened recently.

It's bad when employers abuse their employees, but it's just as bad when employees' unions abuse the employers.  Maybe even worse.

CJ
View Quote

And, [b]They're off!!![/b] to the races.  [snoopy]

It's CJ in the lead, coming out of the gate heading for the first turn!!!    [bounce]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#21]
[:D]

My work here is done!

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:36:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Skipper, I ain't ashamed of shit!
My post was deleted! Go to Unfree republic and type Visteon in the search. That will take you to the subject.

Oh and stop all the whiny union sucks, I was in a union and couldn't stay in it, they didn't help me, they make to much money shit etc. etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top