Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 6:16:11 AM EDT
So, I use an ATM one day back in October.  I go through the transaction to get $60.  Right at the end of the transaction the ATM tells me they charge a $2.00 fee.  Now, my bank reimburses me $1.50 for these things, so I decide NOT to get the cash there and cancel the transaction.  I get no money, no receipt.  I go to another ATM that only charges $1.50, so it is a wash.

2 days later my online bank statement shows a $62.00 charge ($60 plus the $2 fee) from the Bank of America ATM that I cancelled the transaction on.  I call my bank, explain the situation, and they say they'll research it.  1 week later they issue a provisional credit, and then in December I get a letter saying that the company they use to handle inter-bank transfers like this says it looks good and we are set.

Well, about 7 days after that I get dinged again for $62.00 - I call up, they say "oops - looks like an error, we'll get right on it".  3 weeks later still no love.  I call them again, and they say now that Bank of America is not going to refund me, insisting that I got the money from the ATM.

WTF?  Can't you chowderheads tell at the end of the day that the cash you show going out isn't equal to the cash you still have in the machine?

So, looks like I don't have much in the way of options - how do I "prove" that I didn't get the money?  $62 isn't going to kill me, but it is my money, damnit, and it appears that it is my word against Bank of America's.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess get a lawyer, file a suit, and get the security camera tapes for the day that is in question from the ATM in question, and review it.  If you weren't there at the time that BOA says you were....like...if there weren't any users of the atm at that time, or someone else....then your clear....I'd be raising holy hell.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Find another bank.  Get the branch manager or someone higher up and tell them what's going on and then change banks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#3]
They should have refunded that immediately.  I'm sure other people are having the same problem.  Scumbags.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I guess get a lawyer, file a suit, and get the security camera tapes for the day that is in question from the ATM in question, and review it.  If you weren't there at the time that BOA says you were....like...if there weren't any users of the atm at that time, or someone else....then your clear....I'd be raising holy hell.

The cost and hassle of doing that would be a LOT more than $62.00 - that's what pisses me off.  Good thing I didn't attempt to get $500.

Still, it pisses me off to think that a bank can pull that shit.  You'd think that if their receipts for the day didn't match the money still in the machine, they'd get a clue.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#5]
You're going through all this just so you could save 50 cents ($1.50 vs. $2.00)?  

ETA: I understand the theft of $62.50, but canceling a transaction over 50 cents is crazy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You're going through all this just so you could save 50 cents ($1.50 vs. $2.00)?  

ETA: I understand the theft of $62.50, but cancelling a transaction over 50 cents is crazy.

+1

I have a friend who is like that.  He will buy a plain hamburger at McDonalds...then take it home and put cheese on it so he doesn't have to pay the extra 25 cents at McDonalds for the piece of cheese.

Edit:  Is it possible that you screwed up the cancellation of the transaction and the ATM customer after you got your $60?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

ETA: I understand the theft of $62.50, but canceling a transaction over 50 cents is crazy.

+1

That was first thought on this too. I don't like to pay fees either, but seriously. How much time and effort did it take to go find another ATM just to save the 50 cents? Not to mention all of this hassle?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#8]
We recently had a case where a can of foam insulation was dropped in the night deposit at one of the local banks. Theory is something like what you went thru happened and someone made a deposit to the payback account.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I have trouble paying a $1 for toast when I know I could get a whole loaf for the same amount of money...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:29:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

That was first thought on this too. I don't like to pay fees either, but seriously. How much time and effort did it take to go find another ATM just to save the 50 cents? Not to mention all of this hassle?

Oh, trust me, if I would have known then what sort of hassle (not to mention the outright theft of $62 from me) this would have caused, I would have paid the 50 fucking cents.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have trouble paying a $1 for toast when I know I could get a whole loaf for the same amount of money...

You're not paying for the toast, you're paying for someone else to make it and then clean up afterwards.

So, go on home and make your loaf of bread into toast and save a buck.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#12]
This happened to my son back in December, but for $202. We disputed it with the bank and they issued him a "provisional" credit.

Two weeks later a letter from the bank arrived saying their "investigation" determined the transaction was valid, and took the $202 back.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The cost and hassle of doing that would be a LOT more than $62.00 - that's what pisses me off.  Good thing I didn't attempt to get $500.

Still, it pisses me off to think that a bank can pull that shit.  You'd think that if their receipts for the day didn't match the money still in the machine, they'd get a clue.

small claims court, baby.

Most likely they won't even show up to contest it.

default judgement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top