Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 2/20/2007 2:50:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/20/2007 2:50:43 AM EST by Aimless]
www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

Ok so I've asked for suggestions and myabe a second amend forum on this board but so far nothing so I'm going to post a thread authored by a guy named subdude. At least if you follow the instructions A LOT of letters will get out. It's in your hands people. Like I've said, you don;t have to lie down and let it happen. We can actually stop this. If it passes it's our fault. If you own a gun, any gun, and do not write a letter Espeecially when one has been Writen for you, you don't deserve to keep your rights.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samual Adams

This is the extremely early stages of such a bill do something Kill it now.

Originally posted by Subdude

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:22 pm Post subject: tHE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to get people behind me on this who are from more than just MS for it to be effective.

I'm about to post a form letter, which I need anyone who's willing to do so to copy and paste as a word document, then to go and make as many copies as you can afford. Place them in gun stores that will allow it (most should, especially considering that the proprietors will not likely consider any of us here strangers) with your representative and Senators' mailing addresses added to the empty space at the bottom, in the three lines below the dotted line, so that it will be kept to one sheet for each letter. Lower font size if you have to. Leave the instructions taped to the counter, on a separate sheet. Be sure to go through the letter and indent each paragraph. I have carefully constructed this letter so that it will do three things: Spur someone who thinks they are “safe” because they do not own an “assault weapon” into action, get a politician’s attention, and fit on one sheet of paper. If you feel so inclined, please feel free to type your own letter and do the same. Provide envelopes, too, if you can afford it.
The bottom line is that people are, by and large, lazy and inarticulate -- even gun people. Whatever indignation they feel will always be tempered by an attitude that whatever they might do will be too small to matter, and is, as such, not worth the effort. However, if they are given an easy out, like this one, they feel that they will be able to say that they “sent a letter” to their representatives, and conveniently leave out that it was a form letter they found in a gun shop. This gives them an out by which they can uphold their actions as righteous and good, and say how “If more people had done the same, that bill wouldn’t have passed.”
I can’t make this any easier. It will require some initiative on our part, but bluntly, our only hope is to be heard, and unless we get really loud, really fast, we won’t. If nothing else, at least send one copy of the letter yourself. If you will, please repost this to any firearms forums you regularly visit.

This line is the beginning of the letter; include it in your copy/paste.

I am one of your constituents, and I am so vehemently opposed to H.R. 1022, which is an attempt to reauthorize the assault weapons ban, that I will refuse to vote for you or any candidate that you may endorse in the future, should you fail to oppose this atrocity. The old ban did not curb crime, and this one will not do so, either. In fact, gun crime has statistically continued to plummet in most places since the sunset of the old ban in 2004.
This is nothing more than a pithy, self-serving attempt at public disarmament by a select few devious charlatans who have the good fortune to have the uninformed as constituents. Criminals do not even acquire their weapons by legal means. For instance, the fully-automatic weapons that they commonly employ are already illegal, yet this does not seem to prevent them from getting them, to begin with.
This is not about the safety of the people; it is about the exercise of power, for its own sake. The only intention of this bill is to prove that it can be passed. Once it is proven that a congress is in place with the power and will to quash the Second Amendment, new tests will begin to see how completely such a crime can be committed. First will come caliber bans, under various guises. .45 and .50 will be “too big.” .22 will be “too small.” Any caliber with the word “magnum” in its name will be “too powerful.” 9mm will be “obviously intended for the military, only,” and the same will be said of .40 S&W, in regards to the police.
At this point, it will be easy to crush what little freedom we still have by initiating a complete ban on semi-automatic handguns. Next will come semi-automatic rifles and shotguns. Pump shotguns will be next to fall, then bolt action rifles, to accusations of being suitable for terrorist snipers. Video demonstrations of the rapidity of fire achievable with lever-action rifles will be their downfall, and once we are left with only revolvers, single-shot rifles, and double-barreled shotguns, the will of the people will be so crushed that these will be swept away, one by one, without resistance. All the while, criminals will thrive on an illegal gun trade which the government has no power to regulate.
It may take ten years. It may take fifty. It may take a century, but make no mistake that this is the ultimate goal of H.R. 1022, overt or not. I think I speak for all free people of this nation when I say that we demand more from you than merely a vote. That is easy; it’s pathetic. We demand that you publicly stand against this bill. Verbally denounce it in the chambers of the legislature. Reveal what it really is for all to see. True, this may make you enemies, but the enemies you will make if you do not do this are enemies who cast the ballots by which your career is sustained.
Alternatively, if you stand against this bill, then you will gain the loyalty of every red-blooded citizen of not only of our state, but of this country, as a whole, who still believes that we should have the right to the tools by which we may defend ourselves against the predators of this age – and we are legion.

Sincerely, ______________

------------------------------------------------------

Instructions

1. Take as many letters as you have people who will legitimately put their names on them, and representatives to send these to. Feel free to take an extra copy, if you would like to make extras for more people to send, and bring them back here.
2. Write in the name of the representative you intend to send the letter to on the first line, complete with whatever greeting you see fit.
3. Cut off the area of the letter with the addresses, below the line, and either copy the correct address, or firmly paste it to the envelope you intend to send the letter in.
4. Don’t forget to write your return address in your own handwriting, as it verifies that you are a private individual sending this letter.

YOU CAN FIND YOUR REPRESENTATIVES HERE www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

Thomas Jefferson:

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man"

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:43:00 AM EST
I'm not sure if that is the best letter to be sending out. I mean, the fourth part of the first sentence (don't even get me started on that!) is a threat against the Representative before the letter even begins to deal with the nature of its purpose. This letter does not speak for all the free people of this nation. Plenty of people would LOVE to see this pass.

I do appreciate that you want to get the word out and make it easier for people to contact their respective reps, but in my opinion, this letter goes about it in the wrong way. It contains more conspiracy theory about the future than the facts of now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:47:13 AM EST
thanks for some new quotes
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:55:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/20/2007 4:56:24 AM EST by fortyfive4life]

Originally Posted By speeddemon11L:
I'm not sure if that is the best letter to be sending out. I mean, the fourth part of the first sentence (don't even get me started on that!) is a threat against the Representative before the letter even begins to deal with the nature of its purpose. This letter does not speak for all the free people of this nation. Plenty of people would LOVE to see this pass.

I do appreciate that you want to get the word out and make it easier for people to contact their respective reps, but in my opinion, this letter goes about it in the wrong way. It contains more conspiracy theory about the future than the facts of now.

Bro Write your own letter! This is simply to give people an idea or if you want to copy this one. It's not mine..... I'm writing my own as I feel that it can be worded differently as well, and will post it when I'm finished.

Seriously, people get something done. Everyone is real good about bitching on here If we were half as good at writing or calling we would never have had the first ban.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:59:27 AM EST
In fact everyone who wishes to should post their letters to help people who aren't good at writing.

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:34:34 PM EST
guys please do your part. Don't use any letter you don't feel expresses how you feel but do something. I see post after post about how scaed everyone is and how much ammo they are buying if the ban comes back. Well this is the seed. Kill it!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 4:52:55 PM EST
"Criminals do not even acquire their weapons by legal means. For instance, the fully-automatic weapons that they commonly employ are already illegal, yet this does not seem to prevent them from getting them, to begin with."

AFAIK, fully automatic weapons are uncommon in crimes in the U.S. (except in Hollyweird). Good idea to take action, just be careful not to send the wrong message to politicians that are already frequently misled/brainwashed on firearms issues.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:00:39 PM EST
How can I copy that letter esily to print?
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:00:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/20/2007 5:15:49 PM EST by Hawaiianone]
I will work on my own letter. It needs to be short and to the point or it won't be read. It needs to stick to the facts without sounding like a radical or activist wrote it. It should point out that the last ban did nothing to take the weapons out of the hands of the criminals, it prevented law abiding citizens from owning them. It should not be confrontational other than to indicate that you will consider their vote on this bill come election time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 5:50:08 PM EST
I agree, I think a few quick statistics could help as well as some alternatives like sugesting the funding of anti gang units and such. If we can get a well written letter or two posted up here it would make it easier for those with limited time or writing skills.

I hope to have one posted by friday. I also agree with the notion that brininging some copies in to your favorite shop couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:12:56 PM EST
I would'nt get too stuck on the wording. I think the secretary just scans the e-mail enough to see what bullshit "automated response" to send back, to make you think the politicians still give a remote shit what you say anymore. I've sent numerous e-mails to state and federal reps, and usually get a response generally saying, "I understand your concern" or "I will definately look at the pros and cons of this bill". I not real sure they care about what the "little people" think anymore...
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:16:55 PM EST
Here's the letter I've formulated to send to my Represenative and Senators....

Dear Congressman/Senator ____________,

As one of your voting constituents and a life-long resident of Nebraska, I am writing to you to express my disgust in a proposed House Bill by Mrs. McCarthy of New York. The Bill I am referring to is HR 1022.

This is a new bill that would re-authorize the Federal Assault Weapons Ban that sunset on September 13, 2004. This ban prohibited many semi-automatic firearms by name or by certain features, because they looked similar to military firearms. These weapons were labeled as "non-sporting", and were said to be no good for hunting.

The fact that the 2nd Amendment has absolutely nothing to do with hunting and is solely about preserving liberty and freedom continues to confuse many of your colleagues in the House and Senate.

When this piece of "feel good" legislation was scheduled to sunset in September 2004, many elected officials in Washington made outrageous predictions about the dire consequences of the ban's expiration. We were told that violent gun crimes would skyrocket. They were wrong. Sarah Brady, one of the nation's leading gun control advocates, warned that "our streets are going to be filled with AK-47s and Uzis. Life without the ban would mean rampant murder and bloodshed”. She was also wrong.

This is nothing new. In fact, before the now expired Federal Assault Weapon Ban was made into law, less that 2% of all crimes were committed with what the anti gun advocates define as “assault weapons”. Hands and feet were used more often as weapons by a wide margin! In the 29 months since the ban expired, violent crimes with firearms have actually decreased in many areas.

It has been proven that violent criminals will never care about what laws are written, and that restricting the rights of good citizens has no effect on violent crime. Washington DC and New York are perfect examples, with some of the highest crime and most restrictive gun laws in the nation.

As a voter, law abiding gun owner, shooter, firearms collector, small business owner and father of two sons, I find it necessary to contact my representatives and remind you to fight for my Constitutional rights. The same rights that you have taken an oath to protect and defend.

HR 1022 is a horrible, treasonous bill that would, among other things, criminalize manufacture and sale of practically all semi-automatic firearms, for no good reason and in direct opposition of our US Constitution. I need your help in defending our Constitution from its domestic enemies, which apparently include Representative Carolyn McCarthy of New York. I need you to vote against HR 1022, should it slip out of the Judiciary Committee in any form. I also ask that you speak against any such laws at the first opportunity, and use your influence to prevent further introduction of the same in the House when possible.

Please continue to support law-abiding citizens, and our Constitution by letting Mrs. McCarthy and any potential co-sponsors know that the American people want crime control and not more restrictive gun control as presented in HR 1022.

The 2nd Amendment of our Constitution is very clear, “…The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this letter and thank you for your service to our country and the State of Nebraska. As this is a very actively discussed subject on the internet, be prepared to receive other phone calls and letters, as I am one of many of your constituents that feel the same about this type of outlandish proposed bill.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Feel free to share your comments for clarification or modifications.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:40:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/25/2007 10:41:45 PM EST by Bodie]
Just remind them of how well its worked in the UK, good luck one & all, i sincerely hope you beat this, it reminds me alot of our current Road pricing bill that is being opposed, we the ELECTORATE are ignored until such time it suits the idiots that be, once again, good luck friends.
Top Top