Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 8:11:45 PM EDT
My daughter loves the simms game. how does one make a copy so you can run the other in a seperate computer? I use shrink and decryptor for my movie back ups. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:36:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Greetings zoe, You may encounter several problems while trying to back up your games for your daughter due to gaming protections. Piration has come a very long way and most companies protect against having their software copied even if you are an original owner. I am not 100% sure on the legality of copying games even if your just doing it so you can play on 2 pc's at once. I will suggest a No-CD crack to you which will allow you to play the game without the cdrom in the drive. From what I have been told these are legal to use if you own the original copy. Anything else would proboly be illegal and do be warned most cd cracks are virii/trojans/malicious files so please be careful.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a cat-and-mouse game between the pirates and copyright protection.  It swings different ways in different years and it's been going on since...oh...Reagan's first term or so.

Right now, for example, I have Battlefield 2.  I play it on two different computers.  But I don't like to be taking the original CD back and forth.  I could copy the CD (using the link above as a good reference), but in my case I took a different route.

First, I made an image file of the Battlefield cd (Clone CD demo works, Alcohol 120% also does it).  So now I have a 600MB .iso file on my hard drive (a wee bit of hard drive space is needed).  I had to follow settings I found on the internet to copy it correctly...not real hard, check the right box, etc. depending upon which game is being copied.

Next, I installed Daemon Tools (freeware).  Daemon Tools emulates a CD-ROM drive on my computer, it even gets a drive letter and shows up that way on your computer.  For example, I have drive letter K:

Next, I "mount" the Battlefield .iso image file to my virtual CD-ROM drive, so the computer thinks I have a CD-ROM labeled drive k and the Battlefield CD is in it.

So I don't even bother with the CD at all anymore.   There's several ways to do it, this is just one of them.

Notes:
Alcohol 120% will also do the Daemon Tools CD-ROM drive emulation

On some games like my Battlefield 2, I wouldn't be able to play both computers online at the same time because this particular game has an online account "key" that came with my packaging.  Some games are like that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top