Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
We have a Deere 310SJ.  Kinda big for a backyard machine but we have gone from 20 to 200 acres.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm extremely happy with my BX23S.  It is my lawnmower, snowblower, and TLB.

I'm on an acre at home, when I work at my place in Maine it requires big machines.  A bigger machine at home would be too much.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thinking about buying a backhoe.  A "small " one.

Don't want a toy but don't need a huge one. Who makes a good dependable tough "homeowners " grade backhoe?  What am I going to have to spend?

Want to dig holes, front end loader/bucket, post hole digger, brush hog.

What do you recommend??
View Quote
Neighbor down the road from me is selling what looks like a JD 310a with cab, $6k......if I only had $6k
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have room to store one go buy a used backhoe. Like commercial john deere or case or whatever. I have a old JD 410B that sits outside all year and will start when it's zero. I bet if you look around you can pick up a good one for 5-8k.

Do not buy a 3 point tractor attachment if you intend to really use it. They break tractors.
View Quote

You made the point I was trying to make, the attachment backhoes will screw up a nice tractor. The TLB versions I looked into seemed like  a hassle to remove the backhoe and mount the three point, you are more likely to leave it setup one way or the other.  I went and found the service manual for a MF 50A I used to own it says SM for MF 50A Tractor Backhoe Loader and it weighed  14,000 lbs. I was told they don't exist though. I see that the terminology has changed from the 70's and 80's to now they are called a loader backhoe. You could remove the backhoe on the old Massies but it made no sense to do it as there was no pto, three point or drawbar.  Learned something new.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I would say rent one when you need it. This is the conclusion I came to when looking at backhoes. Unless you are putting some serious hours on it, or just need it on hand regularly (or just really want to own a backhoe), you will get way more backhoe for way less money. Renting can be a hassle, but it works for me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm on an acre at home, when I work at my place in Maine it requires big machines.  A bigger machine at home would be too much.
View Quote

They can do a lot of work if you don't expect too much of them. I did a lot with mine.

I've never been a fan of how people will recommend certain horsepower/size tractor based purely on the size of the land. Size of the land is meaningless, it's all about what you intend to do with it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would say rent one when you need it. This is the conclusion I came to when looking at backhoes.
View Quote

Its pretty simple when the sum of your work is quoted more than buying a loader backhoe.
In my case I can sell my BX23S and the sum of my work was free.

If you have a single task then rent one. If you have multiple projects add up the time / quotes and figure it out.
It took me 45 minutes to get decent on the backhoe part. The loader was easy to..

4 gallons of diesel does a lot of work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Myself, I’d rather buy than rent. I enjoy owning equipment. Especially with a cab.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#9]
If your going to be taking the backhoe off a lot you want a Deere. It comes off so easy it’s silly same for the loader on the r models.. Not the case on a kubota
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File

Edit: oh, you said backhoes!
View Quote

I am sure she did buttstuff.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I misread the topic title.

Thought this topic would have been about some hot ass black hoes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They can do a lot of work if you don't expect too much of them. I did a lot with mine.

I've never been a fan of how people will recommend certain horsepower/size tractor based purely on the size of the land. Size of the land is meaningless, it's all about what you intend to do with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.  I have a B2650 on 1.3 acres.  Is it big?  Yes but it’s nimble enough to fit in every square inch of my yard.  I wanted the extra size and weight for grading the quarter mile of road that my house is off of.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Went to Kubota's website and looked at the specs for B26, M62 and L47.  All seemed to have good specs., looked like they had a heavy sub frame w/ good loader lift capacity. Much better than my 3240 Kubota. Can't tell about backhoe removal but I looked into buying one years ago and thought it was easier to leave as a TLB.  If these are the considered  models and not three point attachment models then they are worth looking into. My opinion. Personally I would never use a three point backhoe on my L3240.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Small backhoe?

Just to go a Kubota dealer and get a TLB  (tractor loader backhoe):

https://curtisindustries.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/M62-1.jpg
View Quote

That's a nice TLB. Is Kubota offering cabs on them now?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Kubota L39. Great for digging a hole, but shitty at moving a lot of dirt.
Attachment Attached File

Recently came into possession of this...so now I can move some dirt.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#16]
If I could afford it, I wouldn't mind a JD 710 on our farm. It would load gravel and loam into my Mack easily and if I needed to dig a hole somewhere on the property I could drive it there quickly.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thinking about buying a backhoe.  A "small " one.

Don't want a toy but don't need a huge one. Who makes a good dependable tough "homeowners " grade backhoe?  What am I going to have to spend?

Want to dig holes, front end loader/bucket, post hole digger, brush hog.

What do you recommend??
View Quote

Kubota BX23S. One and done.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Small backhoe?

Just to go a Kubota dealer and get a TLB  (tractor loader backhoe):

https://curtisindustries.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/M62-1.jpg

No. They offer a Curtis cab the dealer can put on. No factory designed cab. No ac. I really liked my m59 and m62 but have been waiting on a factory cab. Doesn’t look like they will because its such a low production model. The Curtis is just not anything I would want for the money they charge.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/298778/20210121_170123_jpg-1834475.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/298778/20210220_220901_jpg-1834476.JPG
View Quote

i should buy a dozer..
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

i should buy a dozer..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/298778/20210121_170123_jpg-1834475.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/298778/20210220_220901_jpg-1834476.JPG

i should buy a dozer..
D4 with a 6-way and a ripper?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top