Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 8:35:24 AM EDT
THE boner gets some much needed upgrades

but remeber if elseworth afb close where would the 20 or so b1 bombers go.

and the congress and af finnaly get the big picture it is the b1 bomber that will do the heavy bombing in the future not the f-22 or the f-35

read red part if you dont believe me.

WARPLANES: B-1B Gets Upgrades, Work, But No Respect

August 25, 2005: The U.S. Air Force is betting lots of money on its B-1B bomber, an aircraft that was the victim of many cancellation attempts, and the butt of many jokes because of that. But in the end, or at least as of today, the B-1B turned out to be a good investment. The B-1B carries more bombs than any other American heavy bomber. It can also move fast (about 1,500 kilometers an hour) if it needs to, and is stealthy. The B-1B played a major role in the 2001 campaign in Afghanistan, where eight of them dropped 40 percent of the total bomb tonnage. In Iraq in 2003, eleven B-1B's, four B-2A's and 28 B-52H's were used. These 43 aircraft flew some 500 missions, and were responsible for dropping a third of the bombs that hit targets during the campaign. More importantly, these heavy bombers were able to circle up there for hours, waiting for the ground troops to call for another smart bomb. Even though the B-1B costs, compared to the B-52, twice as much per hour to operate, it carries more bombs, and has a longer useful life than the B-52s (which are twenty years older).

Most of the B-1Bs equipment is 1980s vintage. So the air force has been investing in upgrades, upgrades that make the B-1B better at doing what it does best. The 67 B-1Bs (on active duty) are being equipped with much improved fire control systems. This allows them to use the latest smart bombs (like JASSM and SDB), and makes it possible for the B-1B to use smart bombs to hit moving targets (ships or land vehicles.) B-1Bs have gotten radar, cockpit and other upgrades as well.

The major reason for investing money in the B-1B is because, despite all the attention, and cash, given to the new F-22 and F-35, it’s the B-1B that will do most of the work in any future war. Congress has been so impressed with the B-1B that they have been pressuring the air force to activate the B-1Bs that were deactivated. The air force doesn’t want to do this. For one thing, it would cost over $150 million, each, to bring those aircraft back to active service (upgraded equipment must be installed, and other components refurbished or replaced). Moreover, as the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns demonstrated, you don’t need many B-1Bs to get the job done.

The air force budget is already under tremendous pressure because of the senior leadership wanting to get the F-22 and F-35 into production, and built in large numbers. But the generals know they would be in big trouble if another war came along and they did not have a dozen or so B-1Bs ready to go. It’s more likely the absence of F-22s and F-35s would not be noticed. But the B-1Bs would definitely be missed. The air force is likely to cut purchases for the new JSASSM cruise missile (which is having development problems), before it does anything to the  B-1B (which can carry 24 of these missiles) upgrade budget. The JASSM is only needed if there is an opponent with a modern air defense system to hit. At the moment, only China qualifies, and only in places. Another bomber weapon having some problems is the SBD (the 250 pound Small Diameter smart Bomb). The B-1B can carry over a hundred of these, which would be real handy in a future war. The air force may sacrifice JASSM to keep the SDB alive, and ready for use in B-1Bs. The B-1B is  a lot easier to use than the B-2 (with its hard to maintain “radar absorbing” skin.) The B-1B may not have gotten much respect over the years, but when there’s a war, it always gets the call.

boner

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The B-1B may not have gotten much respect over the years, but when there’s a war, it always gets the call.

That may be a bit of an overstatement since the B-1 was not used in combat until this century.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Always thought the B-1 was a beautiful aircraft. Glad to see tax dollars I paid in the 80's weren't all wasted.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Dyess has more than enough ramp space for all the combat B-1s we still have.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The B-1B may not have gotten much respect over the years, but when there’s a war, it always gets the call.

That may be a bit of an overstatement since the B-1 was not used in combat until this century.  

LOL +1
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#5]
We retired B-1s before B-52s?  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is an overstatement.  But the B-1 did get used a little in the last century, they where first used in combat against Iraq during Operation Desert Fox in December 1998.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The Buffs are scheduled to fly until around 2050.  I don't know when the Bones are due to retire.

Nobody makes planes like Boeing used to.  Mark my words it will be a KC-135 that refuels the last KC-10 on it's way to AMARC.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes it is an overstatement.  But the B-1 did get used a little in the last century, they where first used in combat against Iraq during Operation Desert Fox in December 1998.

You are correct sir.  Must have missed that one - was living overseas at the time so I didn't have full US media at my disposal.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#9]
guys the people that made that headline not me i use what headline they had for the story.

now yes we all no the bone did not get to be used till 98 but from 98 -05 it is one of the hardest working bombers ever and they need to retire some big ugly fat farts better known as the b-52 and replace them with the b-1s or even a couple more b-2s.

the bone and the a-10 our in good company the airfarce and the dickheads in congress swear we dont need them but sure enough a crisis arises and their the first called.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct sir.  Must have missed that one - was living overseas at the time so I didn't have full US media at my disposal.  

They were used in against Serbia aswell...I remember reading someone's flying cross citation (B1 Electronic Warfare Officer) for avoiding SAMs over Serbia.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Always thought the B-1 was a beautiful aircraft. Glad to see tax dollars I paid in the 80's weren't all wasted.

Absolutely. I always liked it. Then again, I love the way the f-111 looks too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No, there have been lots of B-52 retired before any B-1 were.  The Air Force retired about 30 of the B-1's recently.  Out of the 744 B-52's that were built, only 95 are still in service.

You don't want to know what happened to most of the retired B-52s.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Save our B-1's.

Could be worse, though.  Russia only has like 10 Tu-160's flying.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#14]
My son was an air traffic controller at Ellsworth AFB for 2 1/2 years.   The B1's are a great plane, but do need a lot of maintenance and he never could figure out why a billion dollar plane has a $20 radio in it.   Worst plane to communicate with he ever dealt with.  There were a few very tense landings while he was on duty.  Luckily good pilots saved the day.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, there have been lots of B-52 retired before any B-1 were.  The Air Force retired about 30 of the B-1's recently.  Out of the 744 B-52's that were built, only 95 are still in service.

You don't want to know what happened to most of the retired B-52s.

You mean the big guillotine on a crane.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#16]
elseworth afb has been spared so the boners will stay were they belong.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Sadly, they would be shipped to AMARC where they would get "stored" or "recycled".
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My son was an air traffic controller at Ellsworth AFB for 2 1/2 years.   The B1's are a great plane, but do need a lot of maintenance and he never could figure out why a billion dollar plane has a $20 radio in it.   Worst plane to communicate with he ever dealt with.  There were a few very tense landings while he was on duty.  Luckily good pilots saved the day.  

I saw one come in for a landing once on an exercise (the local AFB is right across from downtown, so you can always see the pretty birds flying)

B-1 looks like a crane or stork in flight.  Strange looking.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sadly, they would be shipped to AMARC where they would get "stored" or "recycled".

Wrong.

They would be sent to the other B1 base... Cant remember the name right now.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#20]
One of the first B-1B's to be put in a museum.  

B-1B debuts at South Dakota museum
by 1st Lt. Elizabeth De Jesus 28th Bomb Wing Public Affairs
2/7/2005

ELLSWORTH AFB, S.D. (AFPN) --Ellsworth has been home to the B-1B Lancer for more than 18 years, and for the first time, visitors to the South Dakota Air and Space Museum can view the aircraft up close.

The B-1 static display is the newest exhibit at the museum and was placed into its permanent position in front of the museum entrance Feb. 4.

“The B-1 exhibit (adds) to the museum and (lets) the public see a B-1 up close,” said Tech. Sgt. Jason Kreutzer, of the 28th Civil EngineerSquadron.

Many Ellsworth spectators watched as two aircraft tow tractors moved the B-1 to the museum. Securityforces had to redirect traffic to alternate routesduring the move.

“It’s not everyday you see a B-1 riding down (the road),” said Capt. Michael Johnson, 28th Bomb Wing’s public affairs chief.

Airmen of the 28th CES removed street lights, power lines, street signs, fences near the base gateand the museum, and cleared things that could have obstructed the aircraft, Sergeant Kreutzersaid.

“It (makes) a great addition to the historical aircraft at the museum,” Captain Johnson said. “The B-1 was acquired through the National Museum of the Air Force in 2003,” said Ron Alley, the South Dakota museum’s director.

“We haven’thad a B-1 at the museum before because none were available.”

The bomber displays a few historical features including the “War Eagles” tail flash, the mascot of the 77th Bomb Squadron, which was inactivated at Ellsworth in September 2001.

The nose art “Lets Roll,” which was an Air Force initiative after Sept. 11, 2001, is also painted on the aircraft, said Chief Master Sgt. Jerry Densmore, 28th Maintenance Group superintendent.

The 1983 aircraft model, previously assigned to Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, also displays the Ellsworth tailmarking “EL.” Ellsworth officials received the aircraft in 2003 and began the parts-removal process, which took almost 18 months, on and off, to complete.

The items removed from the jet included ejection seats, engines, radar and avionics.

Other work needed to prepare the display included 65 yards of concrete poured for the landing gear pads, Sergeant Kreutzer said.

Although the B-1 is on display, a sidewalk, curb, gutter and repairs to the driveway around the exhibit are stillneeded and are projected to be complete in April, Mr. Alley said.

A ribbon-cutting ceremony is scheduled for May.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Even though the B-1B costs, compared to the B-52, twice as much per hour to operate, it carries more bombs, and has a longer useful life than the B-52s

The Buffs are scheduled to fly until 2050

So, apparently, they're planning on getting 100+ years of 'useful life' out of the B-1B, too...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#22]
and it the Bone (B-One); not boner
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's plenty of room in Texas.

Edit: I love the F-14 and F-16, but I'm sorry, the B-1 is simply the most beautiful plane ever designed.  Driving down I-20 one day I had the honor of watching B-1's tool around Dyess and the surrounding area.  I drove for probably 5 miles looking out my T-tops instead of the front windshield, just so I could watch them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#25]
There are enough B-52's in the boneyard and in museums to get parts off of for the next 40 years.
There were no "rolling parts bins" for the B-1 until they put those ones out to pasture.

They say it comes down to money, but in reality when they built the B-2 they only bought so many spares, and a lot of them are gone.

I had a few friends who got out of the Navy and went to work for Rockwell building the B-1. I remember that they were really hoping that the Air Force and the DOD were going to keep the production lines open for another year or so to build a bunch of spare parts kits.

Never happened.

Quoted:

Quoted:
One of the first B-1B's to be put in a museum.  

SO they are putting fully combat worthy B-1's out to grass while keeping the 'B-52 Flying Dinosaur' in service?  WTF!!!

B-52's are slow and have a bigger radar return than the Empire State Building!  B-1… faster, more bombs, small radar signature and can operate in harms way.

ANdy

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#27]
KA3B ty for that post it is a shame to see a b-1 put to paster but i see your point there is plenty of spares for the ones that our left.

now it would be nice if the assforce pulls their head out of their asses and does bring back 10 or more bones.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Amazing aircraft............

Thanks for the post!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Amazing aircraft............

Thanks for the post!

yw for my part of it.i always liked the b-1 and the a-10 the 2 most hated plane of the airforce brass.

but allways loved when a war is on.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:56:51 PM EDT
[#31]
brass you got to be happy they did not go to texas. they stayed where they belong.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
brass you got to be happy they did not go to texas. they stayed where they belong.

Very much.  Captain there got me on the tarmac for photos, cockpit couldn't take pix, but it is WAY cramped for 4 guys.  

The odd thing about the B1 is it sort of violates basic tenets of architecture, as in being much larger inside than it looks from the outside, especially the bomb compartments.

brass did you try to take a free bomber flight.or borrow a bomb.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very much.  Captain there got me on the tarmac for photos, cockpit couldn't take pix, but it is WAY cramped for 4 guys.  

The odd thing about the B1 is it sort of violates basic tenets of architecture, as in being much larger inside than it looks from the outside, especially the bomb compartments.

I am afraid of flying, but they offered to take me up in a chaser jet.   Yeah, I am a pansy.

now that would have been cool for pictures being in the chaser plane.

no comment on the pansy girl part.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am afraid of flying, but they offered to take me up in a chaser jet.   Yeah, I am a pansy.

You see, the problem with a civie in back makes the pilot want to test out his G-Suit and stuff.  

yup they will do that to. what type of plane is the chaser plane.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You see, the problem with a civie in back makes the pilot want to test out his G-Suit and stuff.  

yup they will do that to. what type of plane is the chaser plane.

Didn't get that far.  I said "no" when they asked if I wanted to go up...  

so let me get this straight you get to feel up a bomber but our to scared to go play with the little bitty chase plane.
joking of course.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

They like to do that with anybody that gets to ride in one, not just civilians.  When I got my ride in the back seat of a F-15E the pilot sure showed me how the g-suit works.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so let me get this straight you get to feel up a bomber but our to scared to go play with the little bitty chase plane.

Correct!

I would rate it one notch below running a couple belts through a minigun...

Some things are better left "un-topped"

hey brass if you can get us some more bone pics it would be nice since you is in sd.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top