Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 5:08:23 AM EDT
Flag Etiquette (Part Two)
by Mike (in Tokyo) Rogers
http://www.lewrockwell.com/rogers/rogers193.html

“Bet you a donut that George W. Bush’s US Flag lapel pin doesn’t have 50 stars. You watch he’ll stop wearing a pin until they can find a proper one.”

~ Mike Rogers

Well, since my article about Nit-wits and Flag pins got me so much fan mail from people who have some bizarre idea that wearing an American Flag Pin on their lapel is some sort of proof of their patriotism, I thought I’d just go and give you folks a short lesson in American civics and Flag Etiquette. I’ll make this short so that even the slower folks in the crowd can keep up.

In a nutshell: According to United States Code, Title 35, Chapter 10, the US flag should never be worn on apparel nor be displayed as a bumper sticker on a car.

The United States Code on Flag Etiquette clearly states that the flag represents the living country and is considered to be a living thing emblematic of the respect and pride we have in our nation. Display it proudly.

UNITED STATES CODE ON FLAG ETIQUETTE
   TITLE 36
   CHAPTER 10
   PATRIOTIC CUSTOMS

1. The flag should not be displayed on a float in a parade except from a staff, or as provided in subsection (i) of this section. (b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat.

I suppose I do not need to explain that the flag should not be displayed on the bumper of your dirty, rusted-out old wreck; and while you are at it, how about giving that hunk of junk a wash and a wax job?

4. The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

Yes, the word apparel is a big word. So, I guess I may have to have the Merriam Webster Dictionary help me to explain it to some of you.

Main Entry: 1ap•par•el
   Pronunciation: &-'par-&l
   Function: transitive verb
   Inflected Form(s): -eled or -elled; -el•ing or -el•ling
   Etymology: Middle English appareillen, from Middle French apareillier to prepare, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin appariculare, from Latin apparare
   1 : to put clothes on

2 : ADORN

I’ll save you the trouble of having to click on Adorn to see what that word means:

Main Entry: adorn
   Pronunciation: &-'dorn
   Function: transitive verb
   Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French adorner, from Latin adornare, from ad- + ornare to furnish – more at ORNATE
   1 : to enhance the appearance of especially with beautiful objects

Sorry, but a US flag has 50 stars, not 39. The nation and the flag deserve better respect than most people give it.

Finally, since I do aim to put all those fake patriots in their place with this article, I like to ask anyone to send me a photograph of a US Flag lapel pin. Now, just any pin won’t do. I want a photo of a real Made in the USA pin – not Made in China. Also! I want a real US Flag pin; that means 50 stars and 13 stripes. If it doesn’t have 50 stars, then it’s not a US flag, is it?

I’ll be waiting for tons of mail from all you real patriots. Yes, I know that Americans are often confused and ill-educated about their own nation, its history, and their own country’s civics, but that’s why guys like me are here to help out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Lapel pins are not actual "flags".

Neither are what's stuck to people's bumpers.

And neither are the "flag" patches worn on US military uniforms.

If it doesn’t have 50 stars, then it’s not a US flag, is it?
Then STFU about it!

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:23:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Sure its a US flag.

Just not a CURRENT US flag.

The "United States" existed before there were fitty of 'em.

My personal flag has 44 stars. Far as I can tell, the following states are no longer part of America anyway...

Kalifornia
New York
New Jersey
Maryland
Illinois
Massachusetts

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:23:59 AM EDT
[#3]
What a waste of pixels...and what a waste of skin the author is.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a flag with 48 stars.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:27:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Feel free to argue that all you want but the fact of the matter is you are the one who are supporting people who wear communist made in china flags with missing stars and stripes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:28:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Then STFU about it!

You just can't argue with that logic.

If it has to have 50 stars ro be  US flag, and the lapel pin doesn't have 50 stars, then its not a US flag being worn as a lapel pen, is it?

Problem solved.

Next issue?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:29:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Sure its a US flag.

That maybe, however ALL flags are have 13 stripes, personally I only really like the very first American flag.

If it has to have 50 stars ro be US flag, and the lapel pin doesn't have 50 stars, then its not a US flag being worn as a lapel pen, is it?

Problem solved.

Next issue?

Then how is it patriotic, especially if it is made in communist china?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:29:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Feel free to argue that all you want but the fact of the matter is that you are the one who are supporting people who wear communist made in china flags with missing stars and stripes.

But you said yourself it's not a US flag unless it has 50 stars and 13 stripes.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Feel free to argue that all you want but the fact of the matter is that you are the one who are supporting people who wear communist made in china flags with missing stars and stripes.

What better for commies to make than the very symbol of freedom?

Maybe some of it will rub off on them.

The beuaty of using capitalism to destroy Red China is that it'll make capitalists out of them.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:30:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Is the author a whiner who wants to make displaying flag pins unfashionable because he doesn't like blatant displays of patriotism?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#11]
F - -

PS: Your "english" makes my brain hurt.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Is the author a whiner who wants to make displaying flag pins unfashionable because he doesn't like blatant displays of patriotism?

Sounds like it to me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:36:10 AM EDT
[#13]
damn those unpatriotic sonsabitches fighting for us in iraq and afghanistan!!!

*yawn* fuck mike in tokyo...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Look!  A traitor disrespecting the flag!!!

There's ANOTHER!

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like it to me.

Absofrigginlutely.  Their self hatred is laughable.

The only good thing that's come from this polarization of the US is that my enemies have made themselves more evident.  I dig it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I have read the original post 3 times now and still do not understand what is wrong.  

And we really do appreciate you, um, what was it?  "helping us out".   Thanks.  Now sit down and shut up.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#17]
A waste of a posting from someones welfare computer. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#18]

I’ll be waiting for tons of mail from all you real patriots. Yes, I know that Americans are often confused and ill-educated about their own nation, its history, and their own country’s civics, but that’s why guys like me are here to help out.

Aren't we all so very fortunate.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Look!  A traitor disrespecting the flag!!!

i.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/iraq2003/saddamfalls/marine.jpg

There's ANOTHER!

dakev.com/myblog/IraqSituationalTrainingQT.jpg

Outstanding.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Sure its a US flag.

That maybe, however ALL flags are have 13 stripes, personally I only really like the very first American flag.

If it has to have 50 stars ro be US flag, and the lapel pin doesn't have 50 stars, then its not a US flag being worn as a lapel pen, is it?

Problem solved.

Next issue?

Stepped on your foot and made a fool out of yourself didn't ya....
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sure its a US flag.

Problem solved.

Next issue?

Have you gone up to the President and checked HIS pin? How do you know where it was made?  Or are you just talking out of your ass?  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#22]
You really didn't have to read past this point:

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yep.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure its a US flag.

Problem solved

Next issue?

Have you gone up to the President and checked HIS pin? How do you know where it was made?  Or are you just talking out of your ass?  

Yea and if you were lucky you would only get molly-whooped by a seceret service agent also wearing one of those disrespectfull and unpatriotic lapel pins.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yeah, I missed that the first time around.  If it's on Lew Rockwell's site, it's undoubtedly 100% pure horseshit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Jewellry is not apparel, which is just another word for clothing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#27]
aww the DU guys are back

how cute
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top