Ruh roh, Shaggy!

This is an ominous development.

@RockHard13F
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Aaaarrrgh!  Dreaded double-tap.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
So if an AR has two+ serial numbers how many boolits do I get with each trigger action?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

HOW ABOUT NO!

This nit picking about absolute bs to construe and infringe on our 2nd Amendment rights is absolutely disgusting and insulting. It is the very definition of infringement. So how about NO!

It's time to shut the ATF down and give their actual responsibilities to a body that won't abuse them like they do. They aren't law enforcement, they think they are law makers. So wrong.
View Quote
So the FBI than?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The upper has always been the serialized part, ("the firearm") on Ruger MKxxx pistols.

https://ruger.com/products/markIVTarget/images/40103.jpg
View Quote

@America-first

No, not correct.

See this gun?  The Armalite AR180b?   The UPPER is the serialized receiver:

Same with the Sig 556.  Yet, the Sig shares much with the AK, but the sheet-metal shell of the lower (to the extent there is any upper/lower on an AK) is serialized.

On the HK it's the upper.

And as far as the Ruger MKII you posted, the upper is the serialized part, while on the Buckmark, it is the opposite.

On the AR15, the lower is serialized, is it is with the AR10.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
So if I have two serial numbers for one gun, shouldn’t it be ok for it to fire twice for one trigger pull? Two numbers, two bullets?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So if I have two serial numbers for one gun, shouldn't it be ok for it to fire twice for one trigger pull? Two numbers, two bullets?
View Quote
... damn good question, fire up an inquiry!
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Makes sense from their point of view.  Uppers are a lot harder to make than lowers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who in the wide wide world of sports wrote a letter to the ATF?
View Quote
Read the article.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#11]
FPNI.

That's like calling an engine an automobile. It's a Fucking part. It's not the chassis.

Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What was this? I'm not familiar.
View Quote

They made people add the serial number to the upper on FNC's
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don’t let facts interrupt a potentially epic GD melt down.
View Quote
The language that scares me is the part about connecting the barrel to the receiver.

You gotta play the long game people.  You know they are.

So they pass this one, wait a little while for the gun nuts to settle and then expand it to say that any part that allows the connection of a barrel is considered a gun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
The frame or receiver of any such weapon;
Any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
Any destructive device.

Here is your ATF definition.

Technically an AR upper and a Glock upper will both fire without the lower attached
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ruh roh, Shaggy!

This is an ominous development.

@RockHard13F
View Quote
I'm here, I'm here.

I find this unsurprising. I predicted this when the 8mm MG34esque AR upper was declared a firearm in and of itself- and I was laughed at.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Next logical step is to make all barrels a firearm. That would cover every thing. It is also what they use to tie a gun to a crime.
View Quote
Fucking pseudo-forensics.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#17]
The ATF is such a worthwhile and awesome agency
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I am guessing this semi-automatic gun is probably one of the reasons the ATF has their panties in a collective bunch:

Look closely:  yes, that IS a normal semi-auto AR15 lower you see.  It's mated to the modified receiver of a surplus MG-34 machine gun.  It will ONLY fire in semi-auto.

IIRC, the ATF was not happy about this gun at all.  Maybe someone else can better explain what happened.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Or HKs

Or M1 Carbines

Or AR180s

Or SCARs

Or CZ Bren

Or ACRs

....never really thought about it before but the AR15 is quite the anomaly.
View Quote
Hence they’ll want it both ways....uppers AND lowers registered.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hmm. Some company wanted to import a .50 cal upper so the ATF looked at it and said that particular one incorporated a receiver.
View Quote
a bolt action receiver with sufficient extra features

Wonder how many read the letter before firing off their fingers?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I dont see how they can do that retro actively.
View Quote
How retroactively?  Importer  sends a test model in for evaluation.  "Is this ok to import as is?"    ATF , "No, that assembly is sufficiently equipped as to be a firearm in and of itself."  Didn't apply to any other assemblies.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Has it been said yet? Abolish the ATF?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Generally, the part with the recoil spring and feed device is the serialized part. AR lower vs MP5 upper.

If they are split, it goes between the recoil spring vs the feed mech. Usually the recoil spring.
Quoted:
Or HKs
Or M1 Carbines
Or AR180s
Or SCARs
Or CZ Bren
Or ACRs
....never really thought about it before but the AR15 is quite the anomaly.
View Quote
These all have the recoil spring in the receiver.

Quoted:
I am guessing this semi-automatic gun is probably one of the reasons the ATF has their panties in a collective bunch:

https://www.brpguns.com/product_images/uploaded_images/xmgadc.jpg

Look closely: yes, that IS a normal semi-auto AR15 lower you see. It's mated to the modified receiver of a surplus MG-34 machine gun. It will ONLY fire in semi-auto.

IIRC, the ATF was not happy about this gun at all. Maybe someone else can better explain what happened.
View Quote
The XMG had both a recoil spring and feed mech, ATF considered it a firearm.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#25]
These .50 cal Uppers are used by criminals in drive-by shootings all the time. Reasonable gun control restrictions to curb this is necessary.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It’s ok, Trump is the ATFs boss now

He won’t let them do it
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#27]
That letter was written by someone illiterate in the English language.

It's full of self-contradictions.

It reads like an adolescent trying to explain his way out of a grounding or other punishment.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hence they’ll want it both ways....uppers AND lowers registered.
View Quote
Of course, the rational, objective test is it isn't a firearm until both are combined. But that doesn't give guv control freaks any power.

I see a market coming for 80% uppers and un-chambered barrels. Or Brazillian style open bolt smooth-bores.

"Daddy, why are springs illegal?"
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So before everyone reads the thread title and panics, the letter basically states that the ATF considers the reciever ON A BOLT ACTION to be the part which houses the bolt and barrel. This does not affect 99% of AR uppers.
View Quote
Gonna post this. Its still ridiculous but it's not exactly "ATF considering labeling AR uppers Firearms" so much as it is ONLY .50 cal uppers. Perhaps a title edit is in order
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI

Also looks like that would probably apply to AR57 uppers.
First thing I thought of.
Why?
RPD - barrel and feeding mech - firearm.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So I need two firearms to build my firearm?
View Quote
Yo, dawg...
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FPNI

Also looks like that would probably apply to AR57 uppers.
First thing I thought of.
Why?
I forget who it was, but an Arfcommer recently made a functioning AR57 build with no lower receiver, just an AR57 upper and a trigger jig. No serial number at all, as far as I could tell.

Shit like that is bound to draw attention.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  @backbencher this would also apply to 5.7 uppers and the Lyndon, no?
View Quote
The way the fuckers worded it, they could apply it to all AR uppers in existence except the muzzle loader & crossbow - all AR uppers mount the barrel and have a bolt.  I'm not aware of any falling-block AR upper.

As someone's pointed out above, they already came for a belt-fed upper that had the action spring.  They got their little bite, which few noticed, and now they've come for more.

Now it's .50 BMGs.  Then AR uppers that have the action spring in them, like the Olympic upper, ARAK-21, or the new 9x19mm one that @Mad-Machinist is helping prototype.  Next will be uppers w/ their own magazine (AR57) and all belt-fed uppers, or they'll categorize trigger jigs as firearms.  Once they've done that, they'll come for all AR uppers based on the bolt and bbl functioning in the same way as their .50 BMG upper ruling.  All gun-control is a slippery slope to hell, and this particular run is teflon-coated.

While gas-operated & piston uppers are a little difficult to make (not too hard to weld together out of steel), a side-charging blowback upper can be made from stacking PVC pipes.  An AR receiver is at its heart a 1" tube with holes and slots cut in the front.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote
Because the AR57 upper receives the ammunition, feeds it and holds the barrel in place.  One of the changes these .50's introduce is no more ammunition through the standard mag well.

I've wondered since BOHICA said ATF told them their uppers were firearms if the ATF would someday come back and say the AR57's are firearm receivers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The way the fuckers worded it, they could apply it to all AR uppers in existence except the muzzle loader & crossbow - all AR uppers mount the barrel and have a bolt.  I'm not aware of any falling-block AR upper.

As someone's pointed out above, they already came for a belt-fed upper that had the action spring.  They got their little bite, which few noticed, and now they've come for more.

Now it's .50 BMGs.  Then AR uppers that have the action spring in them, like the Olympic upper, ARAK-21, or the new 9x19mm one that @Mad-Machinist is helping prototype.  Next will be uppers w/ their own magazine (AR57) and all belt-fed uppers, or they'll categorize trigger jigs as firearms.  Once they've done that, they'll come for all AR uppers based on the bolt and bbl functioning in the same way as their .50 BMG upper ruling.  All gun-control is a slippery slope to hell, and this particular run is teflon-coated.

While gas-operated & piston uppers are a little difficult to make (not too hard to weld together out of steel), a side-charging blowback upper can be made from stacking PVC pipes.  An AR receiver is at its heart a 1" tube with holes and slots cut in the front.
View Quote
A decent argument can be made that ATF screwed up with the first AR/M16 in allowing Colt to put the SN on the lower and consider it to be the firearm.  But I'm happy it's worked out this way.  Makes swapping SBR/MG uppers easy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  I forget who it was, but an Arfcommer recently made a functioning AR57 build with no lower receiver, just an AR57 upper and a trigger jig. No serial number at all, as far as I could tell.

View Quote
That would be me.  I have written no letters to BATFE about it.  

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/effortlyndon/effortLyndon.html

After this, they'll either go after the AR57 & the side-feeding AR45 uppers, the AR uppers containing action springs (ARAK-21, Olympic, etc), or trigger jigs.  They may have a hard time w/ trigger jigs, as there's a trigger jig in nearly every pump & semi-auto shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#38]
So will we all have to engrave serial numbers on the ones we have?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That would be me.  I have written no letters to BATFE about it.  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

http://www.feinsteinproject.org/loes/effortlyndon/FirstAssembly.jpg

After this, they'll either go after the AR57 & the side-feeding AR45 uppers, the AR uppers containing action springs (ARAK-21, Olympic, etc), or trigger jigs.  They may have a hard time w/ trigger jigs, as there's a trigger jig in nearly every pump & semi-auto shotgun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I forget who it was, but an Arfcommer recently made a functioning AR57 build with no lower receiver, just an AR57 upper and a trigger jig. No serial number at all, as far as I could tell.

That would be me.  I have written no letters to BATFE about it.  https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

Sig's modular trigger opens that door. Striker fired slides, same a bolt actions.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  A decent argument can be made that ATF screwed up with the first AR/M16 in allowing Colt to put the SN on the lower and consider it to be the firearm.  But I'm happy it's worked out this way.  Makes swapping SBR/MG uppers easy.
View Quote
I've thought that for years, then realized BATF didn't have regulatory authority over the AR-15 until 1968.  And since only a handful of M-16s were going to civilians, and M-16 uppers wouldn't mount to an AR-15 lower @ the time, BATF didn't care.

A year or two ago, there was an ARish manufacturer who got their upper certified as a firearm, and priced it up around $3K.  I've always wondered if that was a false-flag to prepare for the ruling after this one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Right on man, that wasn't a call-out, that was a shout-out  I think it's a sweet effort, regardless of whether it draws unwanted attention or not.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#42]
It's a bolt action rifle without the trigger group attached. It's practically no different from a Remington 700 with the trigger group and stock taken off.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#43]
That's a lot of tortured legalese thinking.

So, I should just go with the semi-fully-automatic .50 cal. upper instead of the fully-semi-automatic bolt-action .50 cal. upper?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lol!  How many unserialized AR uppers are out there?  Yeah, that'll work...
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Delete if dookie.

I’m the OP and I do my job.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I love that thing man.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.brpguns.com/product_images/uploaded_images/xmgadc.jpg

Look closely:  yes, that IS a normal semi-auto AR15 lower you see.  It's mated to the modified receiver of a surplus MG-34 machine gun.  It will ONLY fire in semi-auto.

IIRC, the ATF was not happy about this gun at all.  Maybe someone else can better explain what happened.
View Quote
I need one of those for so many reasons.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You know the old saying. Two is one and one is none. The FATF is taking that literally.
View Quote
Never understood this logic. If two is one and one is none....then two is none.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:  It's a bolt action rifle without the trigger group attached. It's practically no different from a Remington 700 with the trigger group and stock taken off.
View Quote
The problem is, so is every AR upper you own.  EVERY gas or gas-piston AR upper is a straight-pull bolt action without a trigger group or stock.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone know why AR57 pulled the plug on their own product?

http://www.57center.com/6m8/ar57-upper-assembly.html

Was it the result of ATF pressure?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top