Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2003 4:22:11 PM EDT
Three of the greaest war movies ever. I just got them at Blockbuster. What do you guys think about them?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Cross Of Iron & Enemy At The Gates. I liked them so much I bought a Mauser 98 and a Mosim Nagant.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
BHD - I could probably watch this ever few days for the rest of my life and STILL love it. My fave of the three listed.

Apocalypse Now - Quintessential is probably the best word to describe it....though I like it, it's not one of my faves....

Saving Private Ryan - great flick....but VERY hard to watch, since my favorite guy (sniper) gets axed. I also thought some of the actions near the end were just plain stupid..but that's nitpicking.

And what...no Full Metal Jacket? Patton?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If you liked BHD as a movie, you need to read the book.  There are many things in the book that you won't get from the movie, although yes, I loved the movie.

In the book (at the end) the author talks about interviewing many of the survivors.  Most had one thing in common - they were mad.  Not mad because they had to go fight..

They were pissed because Klinton wouldn't let them go back in to kick some more ass.

Awesome men, all of them.  They have my utmost respect.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I red the book, and would have bought Patton if it was there. Enemy at the Gates was not as good as the others. I like Full Metal Jacket, till they get out of boot. I saw Platoon a few days ago, for the third time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Saving private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Not a movie, but DARN GOOD: Band of Brothers

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Saving private Ryan
We Were Soldiers
Not a movie, but DARN GOOD: Band of Brothers

View Quote

Got them all.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Apoalypse Now has one of the best helicopter attack seuqences of any movie, ever.  Even BHD.

The whole movie is great, but the Wagner bit with the village is amazing.  Make sure you have your sound system turned way up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#10]
There are a lot of great war movies out there. IMO "Acrockoshit Now" isn't one of them, regardless of a couple of good scenes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Apoalypse Now has one of the best helicopter attack seuqences of any movie, ever.  Even BHD.

The whole movie is great, but the Wagner bit with the village is amazing.  Make sure you have your sound system turned way up.
View Quote

I am the only dumbass ever to buy a subwoofer to go with my laptop. That's where I watch my DVDs. It makes the firefights sound close.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There are a lot of great war movies out there. IMO "Acrockoshit Now" isn't one of them, regardless of a couple of good scenes.
View Quote

It is worth it just for the helicopter attack scene.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It is worth it just for the helicopter attack scene.
View Quote

Yes, the very best helo attack scene ever put on film.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Best war movie of all time has to be 12 O'clock High.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#15]
A great movie that should be required viewing is "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson. I'm watching it as I write this !!

[usa]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Thats a good one, Braveheart is better.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the old b&w WWII movie the Longest Day.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#18]
The Longest Day was good, but not very realistic.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Longest Day was good, but not very realistic.
View Quote

I'm war movie neophyte - can you please elaborate more about the realism? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Enemy At The Gates.
View Quote

Watching it for the first time now.

Edit to add: I finished reading the thread...seems as whe are all watching or just finished watching war movies, are we OK?

BTW - Charlie don't surf!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#21]
The special effects are primitive, and in the beach scenes they did not even bother to wear backpacks. Things like that. The plot, IIRC, is very accurate, because of how many veterans were around then it would have to be.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#22]
BHD....I bought the book when it first came out in paperback.  Amazing.  I haven't seen the movie yet.

I bought "Saving Private Ryan" and watched it a couple weeks ago.  A powerful movie.  The opening scenes of the men being mowed down before they even disembark when they hit the beach....what can you say.  Not just that, but the whole opening series drives home how awful war is.  The scene at the end rocked, when Hanks' character is hit and sitting on the ground, and he is shooting at the advancing tank as it comes across the bridge they had been defending with a 1911......POW.....clink!.......POW.....clink!.........POW.......clink!
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:58:10 AM EDT
[#23]
How about the original 193? version of "All Quiet on the Western Front"?  Great story and the scenes are fantastic given the date of the making of the film.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:29:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How about the original 193? version of "All Quiet on the Western Front"?  Great story and the scenes are fantastic given the date of the making of the film.
View Quote

Excellent movie!
BHD by far has to be the best within the past 10 years...

I love the smell of nepalm in the morning
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:07:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Apocalypse Now sucked for the most part.  If you were to get rid of every scene except those with Robert Duvall it would have been a good movie.

Patton
Saving Private Ryan
Midway
Platoon
Boys in Company C
Full Metal Jacket
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#27]
BlackHawk Down
Siege Of Firebase Gloria
Platoon Leader (B movie but good)
We Were Soldiers
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great movie. Very sad.
Top Top