Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/29/2014 5:18:18 PM EDT
Ok guys, it's another "what tire is best thread!".

My Tundra and Wrangler are due for tires and I'm a bit bummed since I'd rather spend the money on ammo.

I have had Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's, Michelin LTX A/T 2, the older BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO (probably close to 6 sets), and Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's or something like that.

I just saw a commercial about the new BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2's.  The sidewall looks more aggressive and the tire looks great.  I was hoping to see anyone has had a chance to run them or done research on them.  I'm on the fence between these and the Goodyear Dura-trac's.  As much as I would love to run MT/R's, it's just not practical and I don't hit the trails enough due to my schedule.

Both the new BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 and Dura-tracs have the snowflake.  Both are aesthetically pleasing on a slightly lifted jeep/truck.  Both will be used on daily drivers on mostly highway and the occasional gravel/dirt trails.  I'd like to use these tires year round without having to switch out to snowtires.

So where does everyone stand?  Any tires that you would suggest?  Any feedback on the Dura-tracs or BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2?

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty good time write-up

WHERE THE RUBBER MEETS THE ROAD
http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

Expedition Portal is My other favorite website.  Dedicated off-road and overland guys.
I trust their opinions.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought the BFG K02's for my truck.

I've been happy with them so far.

I've had A LOT of different truck tires - Toyo, Nitto, Goodyear - nothing compares to the BFG AT KO.  Best tires in my experience, by far.  

FYI - Not sure if this is a Canada thing or not, but the BFG's come with a $75 or $100 mail in rebate as well.  Or at least mine did, and I think the offer is good until mid-December or so.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Expedition Portal is My other favorite website.  Dedicated off-road and overland guys.
I trust their opinions.
View Quote

That's a helluva article.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my General Grabber AT2's on my Liberty CRD.  May want to look into them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had two sets of BFG A/Ts and they're a well built tire but useless as fuck.

Piss poor traction on any surface except rough asphalt.

Loud as mud tires.

HYDROPLANE LIKE A MOTHER FUCKER when it rains.

Just get mud tires or highway tires.   Anything in between sucks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#6]
BFG's are the most overrated tire of all time. Outdated shit IMO. Duratrac are better although the sidewalls are too weak for off road use. I'd go Cooper/Mickey Thompson.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BFG's are the most overrated tire of all time. Outdated shit IMO. Duratrac are better although the sidewalls are too weak for off road use. I'd go Cooper/Mickey Thompson.
View Quote

Most definitely agree with the BFG comment.

We're using the General Grabbers on two different trucks right now and they are fantastic and a fair price.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Cooper A/T-3

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive had Duratracs for several years on my Jeep. Im very happy with them. Done just fine off road and in snow. I have a few root gouges in sidewalls but never punctured one yet. They are a little noisy but understandable.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Toyo Open Country.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love my General Grabber AT2's on my Liberty CRD.  May want to look into them.
View Quote

I'm strongly considering those for my CUCV 1009.

If I could find the original Wrangler style the military put on them, I would consider those, too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ummm not sure of what you said is correct. The duratracs are what most of the serious off roaders that drive xterras use. Most have a 285/75/16 The one positive I have always read is that they have an extremely stiff sidewall.

That being said I guess they are pretty noisy and you HAVE to stay on top of rotation.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Duratracs FTW. Good in snow, light mud and all day on the highway too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The BFG KO2's were just updated and released at the beginning of this month.  

I just put a set on my Wife's 4runner but of course it's too early to have a judgement on them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-Authority-Tire-31X10.50R15LT/11983156
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I just put a set on my Wife's 4runner but of course it's too early to have a judgement on them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know. It's the same outdated tread pattern as the old design. Buddy of mine just got a set.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ummm not sure of what you said is correct. The duratracs are what most of the serious off roaders that drive xterras use. Most have a 285/75/16 The one positive I have always read is that they have an extremely stiff sidewall.

That being said I guess they are pretty noisy and you HAVE to stay on top of rotation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive had mine ( Duratracs) offroad quite a bit and on the beach. I air down to 18-20 and have had zero issues. I run pure synthetic in the Jeep so oil changes at 6K miles and tire rotation at same time. Absolutely no cupping or any uneven wear issues what so ever.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like Duratracs but I assure you the one weak spot with them is weak sidewalls. Serious off roaders don't use AT tires anyway.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm guessing this is the original BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A's and not the recently updated version???
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I know. It's the same outdated tread pattern as the old design. Buddy of mine just got a set.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I will definitely say something if the "updates" they did don't hold up.  FWIW I prefer the Toyo Open Country ATII tires I have on my truck but they were $50 more per tire in the size the 4runner needed.

At least I can say their new sidewall design looks pretty good.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Cooper A/T-3

View Quote

You're welcome.

Better than a 40yo+ tread design.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought new dueler a/t revo 2 yesterday. Firestone has 25% off yesterday, comes out to buy 3 get one free. $780 OTD with road hazard. 275/75/16. Check to see if they still have the deal going on.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#23]
4 months ago I put 4 BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A on my Chevy 4X4. I couldn't be happier. They are quiet on the highway, and are grippy in the rain. Snow is coming, time will tell if it holds the road.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You're welcome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cooper A/T-3

You're welcome.

Everything is. BFG just changes the look of the sidewall and keeps rocking the decades old tread design.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#26]
The Cooper AT/3 is a good one, also its LT version the ATP. I have a set of GYSA C rated on my 4 Runner now and they have been great in the snow so far. With my annual milage and deployment schedule I think they will last me several years.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I have duratracs on my truck. I like them. They are quiet on the road and gret in mud and snow. Not much experience in the rain though.  I did a LOT of research and these seemed the best for my weather and off road needs.  And they are GREAT off road.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Just got a set of Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and they now come with a 65,000 mile tread warranty.

They are reasonably quiet and had good traction in the snow we just had here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#29]
really like the Revos I put on my dually, great traction in snow/ice
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I used to run the BFGs, but after a bunch of reccomendations from here and a co worker who once managed a tire shop, I went with the Cooper ATP. They are pretty much the AT3, just sold at Discount Tire. They were almost $400 cheaper as a set that the BFGs. I love them so far. Good dirt road traction, and they are worlds quieter than the BFGs. Definetly the quietest all terrain I've ever heard.

I will add that I never had a problem with the BFGs, and price was most of my decision to switch. Also, I've never used the Duratracs, but I know people that swear by them.

ETA I just saw you were asking about snow. Sorry, I can't help you there, don't get much of that in S. Texas.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Any comparison for the BFG AT KO vs the KO2?

I had the ATs and then the AT KO for almost 20 years on various trucks(I could get them cheap).  They were very quiet, decent in snow, OK on ice, and absolutely sucked in wet weather asphalt or coal mine clay.

I've since switched to the Cooper Discoverer AT3 and am thrilled with the tire in all conditions despite it being a cunt hair louder than the BFGs.

Always looking for new options.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-Authority-Tire-31X10.50R15LT/11983156
View Quote

I run those on my Tacoma in the fall/winter and my 4Runner year round.

Traction seems to be great, even in snow and ice.

Tire is of course slightly louder than an average AT tire.

No failure or chunking. Tread wear seems quite even and they are wearing well but I rotate every oil change.

The E load range ones rode rough on my Tacoma so I put them on my 4Runner and got a set in C load range for the Tacoma. Much better.

Price is great too!
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I trust their opinions.
View Quote

I love this site too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

I just replaced my Mickey Thompson STZ's with BFG KO2's.

The MT's were literally the worst tire I've ever used.

Different strokes for different folks.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

No failure or chunking. Tread wear seems quite even and they are wearing well but I rotate every oil change.

The E load range ones rode rough on my Tacoma so I put them on my 4Runner and got a set in C load range for the Tacoma. Much better.

Price is great too!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Price is great too!
x2 on the C load tire....I have the 265/70/17 Duratracs on my Jeep WK and they have been great....

The Walmart GY Authority is a rebadged and slight different tread than the Duratrac.   Another rebadged and slightly different tread option is the Kelly Safari TSR....both of these tires are assembled on the same line as the Duratrac.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Good timing on this,I am looking now as well. Considering the BFG ATs too.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Toyo Open Country.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I hope it doesn't RAIN where he lives. I've had a set on my F150, for several years. They wear great
But they totally SUCK ASS in the rain. Hell I just sit there and my tires spin.
Ok in snow, suck in Mud. They don't clean out worth a shit.
I'm looking to dump them and I don't quite have 20,000 miles on them.
I just don't trust them anymore!
Oh yea I live out in the country away from town.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The MT tires I had also sucked, I had never seen tires wear as poorly as those.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I was in the same delema and ended up getting Goodyear authority A/t  from Wally World

So far good to go

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Tag

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#42]
My 2013 Silverado came with  Michelin LTX A/T 2.  They are absolutely the worst tires I have ever had no good on snow no good on wet pavement. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON  Michelin LTX A/T 2.   The truck was 10 months old and I had to buy new snow tires.   That was about 1K dollars I did not have at the time.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I've been using Duratracs on my Land Rovers- best all around tire I've found in years and years of experimenting.
The Wal Mart Duratrac lookalike is NOT the same- the sidewalls are way weaker. Run the Duratrac in a heavier load rating if you need stronger sidewalls. I only ever blew one on a rock, but no tire would have survived my mistake in that case. The BFG AT was good in its day...
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I just bought a new set of the BFG A/T T/A KO's and I absolutely love them.
I run on wet surfaces over 50% of the time and the wet traction is awesome.
Ride is smooth but this is a rigid sidewall so expect to get more feel of the road or "feedback" from your rig.
Noise was not a factor and I do not see any difference in fuel economy but I love the aggressive tread and overall looks of the tire.
Previous OEM set was BFG rugged trail T/A and these blow them away.
I am running these on a Nissan Frontier V6 4X4 with 265 HP and I am not getting any wheelspin, these hook up.
Yes, I could have bought any tire out there, I have ran many types. These are very good tires.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I was in the same delema and ended up getting Goodyear authority A/t  from Wally World

So far good to go

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/69/76/62/09/0069766209370_300X300.jpg
View Quote

They look like they'd be pretty decent in mud.

I know it's kind of a unicorn, but what I really want is a good AT tire that does ok in mud on those rare occasions that I might have to drive through some.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just got a set of Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and they now come with a 65,000 mile tread warranty.

They are reasonably quiet and had good traction in the snow we just had here.
View Quote

I like my Terra Grapplers but I have to admit, if the road is wet, I have to keep that in mind.
That being said, I am on my second pair and they do everything I want them to as long as it's not on wet concrete.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Just got  the duratracs. So far i love them in the snow.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#48]
I have duratracs....on my Tundra. Wearing great and not as loud as I was thinking considering how aggressive they are. Very happy overall
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Somehow BFG made those tires the opposite of self cleaning.  It seems they attract mud/snow, get clogged up, and now you have slicks.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#50]
We use the Duratracs at work - great traction but they don't last very long. I went with the Toyo M/T's on my personal truck but a few of my friends have recently gone to the Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX tires and have been pretty happy so far.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top