Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 10:44:33 PM EDT
cooking hamburgers, steak or chicken. I preheat the BBQ, drop the burgers on the grill... do you leave the lid open or close it again. some told me NO LEAVE IT OPEN!! and others just the opposite.

What do you do for best cooking results?

Oh yeah...gas grill
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends.  Steak - open.  Sear the meat quick to seal in juices, then back off heat and finish at a slower pace.  Chicken - I like to close the lid for more even cooking with thick breastesses, also that helps to congeal the BBQ sauce evenly on all sides.  Burgers - open.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are grilling, high heat with an open top.  If you are bbqing, low/medium heat with the cover closed.

Of course you need to use coals to really be bbqing.  Gas grill?  Why not just use the stove top?

[:)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
there's also the smoke-flavor-factor.

lid closed = more smokiness...

personally, i'm a lid closed kinda guy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you are grilling, high heat with an open top.  If you are bbqing, low/medium heat with the cover closed.

Of course you need to use coals to really be bbqing.  Gas grill?  Why not just use the stove top?

View Quote

True. You just gave me an idea!! what if I were to make a pan out of thick guage steel to go OVER the burner so I can fill that with coals when I want to use that for the flavor or I can take it out and use the gas burner to cook burgers real quick... Damn Ratters...THANKS!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I watched Grillin and Chillin all of the time it was on. Bobby Flay and Jack McDavid both cooked with the lids down.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I watched Grillin and Chillin all of the time it was on. Bobby Flay and Jack McDavid both cooked with the lids down.
View Quote

You had to bring up Bobby Flay didnt you??? F**king guy drives me nuts... I can stand him.

"Zo twoday Im gonna uze da Habenewos Chiwis in da Ize Gream and make a a Zpicy dezzert and top it off wit 4 gawwons of Tequiwa"

not that southern gillin dude...HE WAS AWESOME!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Not habaneros, but ancho chili, which tastes like spicy raisin, is what flay uses.

In my ongoing efforts at helping people, if you want to try something really damn good try this:

Whole onions
butter
olive oil
aluminum foil

Peel and cut the onions in half.  Place each onion half on a piece of double foil, put a pat of butter on top and drizzle on some olive oil. Wrap the foil around the sides of the onion and twist at the top so it looks like a giant hersey's kiss. Grill until the onion is soft and the bottom is carmelized. The best I can describe the taste as is a sweet french onion soup.

While you are enjoying this delicious dish, please remember my assistance when the baseless and hateful accusations, especially by kalidiots, are leveled at me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

While you are enjoying this delicious dish, please remember my assistance when the baseless and hateful accusations, especially by kalidiots, are leveled at me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Rather than make a steel charcoal holder, get a decent inexpensive grill.  Cheaper in the long run.

Covered or using a kettle grill is for slower cooking at lower heat. Direct (usually with top open) is higher heat quicker cooking.  different methods for different cuts.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#10]
True BBQ is slow and low (lid closed)
Grillin' is fast and hot (lid open)

Since you are using gas, you must be grilling.  Do it right and get some coals.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#11]
People still cook over charcoal? Sheesh, I cut my own wood and cook over it. Nothing quite like a frozen pizza cooked over an open mesquite flame!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top