Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/14/2012 4:04:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]
They did some thing to really piss that author off.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Fucking Donkey Sauce...
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
now THAT is a dining review!

fukin' funny as hell.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It's pretty bad when an Applebee's makes better food than a guy with his own cooking show.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It's pretty bad when an Applebee's makes better food than a guy with his own cooking show.  

He's to cooking what Bill O'Reilly is to journalism.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That was an asskicking. I don't really associate that guy with fine dining. I didn't realize what a restaurant empire he has.  

edit yeah he's a cook, not a chef, for whatever that's worth.

According to one of the posters in the comments, Guy graduated with a degree in restaurant management, not cooking.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like Guy Fieri fucked this guy's wife and wiped his dick on the curtains.  Absolutely brutal.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#10]
lol...

Why did the toasted marshmallow taste like fish?

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#11]
That has got to rank as one of the worst reviews ever.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck it, the page started to load and then went to "sorry, this was hotlinked from a patriotic website but we have articles dating back to the 1850's" or some bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the guy is a revolting choad who represents much of what is wrong with America, and I am happy to see him humiliated.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Lived in Santa Rosa, ca back when he first started Johnny Garlics there.  It was great.  I loved it, then one day about a year or two later he changed the quality of his steaks and they were terrible.  Tough and flavorless.   I moved shortly after that and I don't know if it was changed back, but it was insulting because he also raised the price on the crap new steak.   Do like the garlic mash potatoes there though.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#15]

"Guy Fieri is a pox on professional chefs. I think the
Donkey Sauce may be seasoned with the tears of Gordon Ramsay and Anthony
Bourdain. "
Red, Minnesota

When you hung that sign by the entrance that says, WELCOME TO FLAVOR TOWN!, were you just messing with our heads?

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I kinda like applebees and I have been to a bunch of the fancy pants NYC restaurants  

Aimless, I know what you mean.  I have a few meetings/conferences each year in NYC and I end up taking Asians and Europeans out for wine and dinner.  I really dont enjoy the suit and tie places near as much as the corner pubs.  I do have a couple guys that when I entertain them its, jeans and back alley bars  That always ends up being more fun then the stuffy places.  I think some of the best food I have eaten in NYC has been pub food.  
I also have a habit of peeking in the corner pizza shop to see if "Vinny" is cooking and if he is pushing 350 on the scales.  If so, I am going in.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like he called out a fancy con-job overpriced restaurant.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That was an asskicking. I don't really associate that guy with fine dining. I didn't realize what a restaurant empire he has.  

edit yeah he's a cook, not a chef, for whatever that's worth.

According to one of the posters in the comments, Guy graduated with a degree in restaurant management, not cooking.

Hotel management I read on a bio somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Snarky, stupid bullshit passed off as reporting. If it sucked, write about why it sucked. Personal vendettas have no place in a newspaper. The writer should be fired.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Snarky, stupid bullshit passed off as reporting. If it sucked, write about why it sucked. Personal vendettas have no place in a newspaper. The writer should be fired.

Restaurant reviews are more opinion than they are hard news.

I enjoyed the review and would read more from the same writer.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:32:51 AM EDT
[#21]
7th Ave at 44th St?

The tourists will LOVE it!

It's right by Olive Garden and Red Lobster
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:41:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Guy Feiri annoys me for some reason.  I think it's his hair.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:42:28 AM EDT
[#23]
ate at johnny garlics once...meh
was average.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:45:01 AM EDT
[#24]
investors pay Guy for his name and he get's a nice fat check each month and it's all his bank accounts cares about.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sounds like Guy Fieri fucked this guy's wife and wiped his dick on the curtains.  Absolutely brutal.

That is hilarious. Sig line worthy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:57:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
7th Ave at 44th St?

I am always amazed at the people that travel to a new city, and go to restaurants that they can dine at in their hometown. Never been to NYC, but I imagine the dining options are endless.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:58:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
7th Ave at 44th St?

Its a Times Square restaurant for tourists. Im not sure what else this asshat critic expected.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
7th Ave at 44th St?

I am always amazed at the people that travel to a new city, and go to restaurants that they can dine at in their hometown. Never been to NYC, but I imagine the dining options are endless.

consider that there are MANY tourists that visit NYC that don't have a Red Lobster or Olive Garden anywhere near their home.

They're already stressed out by the whole big city thing, so they LOVE this familiarity (even if they've never eaten in one before) of known brands.

Is it lame? Absolutely. But I understand it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
7th Ave at 44th St?

Its a Times Square restaurant for tourists. Im not sure what else this asshat critic expected.

A NYT critic, at that.

Who obviously is oblivious about Vietnamese food.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Brutal. Damn...
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's opinion, not reporting. He also explained why it sucked if you read the article.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
7th Ave at 44th St?

I go to Florida a lot and I'm always shocked that with all the local places that serve really good fresh seafood, places like Red Lobster can survive there.  

you can blame that on retired Ohioans and floppy-headed Canadians
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Restaurant reviews are more opinion than they are hard news.

I enjoyed the review and would read more from the same writer.

I wouldn't. It smacks of revenge, not reporting. The food was bland. Okay, write about the description on the menu and how item didn't match. The atmosphere was tacky. This is a legitimate point, although if the food is good, I don't care about the decor. The service was uncoordinated. This could mean an inexperienced staff, bad management, or something else that the writer didn't know. He could have asked and reported the explanation instead of insulting the staff and making comments about the subway.

It was fun to read and it was funny, but it was supposed to be a piece that told the reader whether or not his interests would be met if he ate at such a place. it was not supposed to be an expose of how the writer found out that the stuff on the tv show is not the same as the stuff in reality.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:45:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

"Guy Fieri is a pox on professional chefs. I think the Donkey Sauce may be seasoned with the tears of Gordon Ramsay and Anthony Bourdain. "
Red, Minnesota

When you hung that sign by the entrance that says, WELCOME TO FLAVOR TOWN!, were you just messing with our heads?

Is that how you roll in FLAVOR TOWN?

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#36]
It's a pretty crappy review.

" Any idea why it tastes like some combination of radiator fluid and formaldehyde?"  Seriously?

This is an emotional tool who's obviously bent for infamy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's opinion, not reporting. He also explained why it sucked if you read the article.

He did, but it got lost in his sarcastic diatribe whose purpose was mostly to prove that the writer was hip and a savvy restaurant customer and tv viewer, as opposed to someone who can write with some objectivity.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

lol...

Why did the toasted marshmallow taste like fish?

He pissed off the waitress.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
7th Ave at 44th St?

I go to Florida a lot and I'm always shocked that with all the local places that serve really good fresh seafood, places like Red Lobster can survive there.  

The only time I got dragged into a Red Lobster in Florida, I was made to go there by native Floridians. I will leave to your imagination the sort of neighborhood that raised these people.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:57:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm wondering if he ordered/tasted everything he mentioned in the article.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He did, but it got lost in his sarcastic diatribe whose purpose was mostly to prove that the writer was hip and a savvy restaurant customer and tv viewer, as opposed to someone who can write with some objectivity.

by the time you've become the food critic for the NYT, you really don't have much to prove.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:59:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
7th Ave at 44th St?

The only time I got dragged into a Red Lobster in Florida, I was made to go there by native Floridians. I will leave to your imagination the sort of neighborhood that raised these people.

I worked at one for 3 years. I understand.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

by the time you've become the food critic for the NYT, you really don't have much to prove.

Yeah when you get to that level you can take artistic license with a review once in a while and really give someone both barrels.

Heres another good review, in case anyone thinks the NYT's review was out of the ordinary for this place.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2012/09/guy-fieri-american-bar-and-kitchen-new-york-city/
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#45]
The Times reviewer paid 4 separate visits to the place and all 4 sucked.  Fieri was on the Today show this morning defending the place and said they were going through growing pains
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#46]
In my professional experience (restaurant business and General Contractor), Food Critics and building inspectors are one in the same.  People who couldnt hack it in the real world so they've resorted to being the bad ass who can file baseless claims and have everyone believe them.  I knew one good Rest Critic in ATL back in the day.  She was harsh but Fair.  I've had exactly one Inspector who knew WTF he was talking about in nearly 20 yrs in this business.

(FWIW, Rest Bus experience/background includes Ritz Carlton and Buckhead Life Rest Group Exec Sous Chef.  I've now owned my own GC bus for 10 + years and do 4-5M a year.)
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#47]
pretty much any restaurant in Times Square is going to suck.  their only purpose is to satisfy wandering tourists that dont know any better
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#48]
I'd say that review would fit many of the trendy places on south Howard in Tampa. The low key joints, 717 and Bern's excepted.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In my professional experience (restaurant business and General Contractor), Food Critics and building inspectors are one in the same.  People who couldnt hack it in the real world so they've resorted to being the bad ass who can file baseless claims and have everyone believe them.  I knew one good Rest Critic in ATL back in the day.  She was harsh but Fair.  I've had exactly one Inspector who knew WTF he was talking about in nearly 20 yrs in this business.

(FWIW, Rest Bus experience/background includes Ritz Carlton and Buckhead Life Rest Group Exec Sous Chef.  I've now owned my own GC bus for 10 + years and do 4-5M a year.)

This. The real people this is going to hurt is the staff.
Apply for job
Beat out 1000 other applicants
Wait while unexpected delays and permit problems hold up opening
Train on new computer and learn a new menu for a month with little income
Wait for marketing to bring in customers
Read NYT review
Apply for new job
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1, this is why I can't stand yelp reviews.  People trying to be quirky at the expense of restaurant owners.  

Not sure where you get off going to a restaurant in Times Square and complain of crowds, or ordering a blue drink and complain that it glows or tastes funny.  It makes me read all his other comments in his article and think they are exaggerations.  Looks like the author is making a name for himself though.  I like Fieri's response:  His words for Wells: "You're welcome."    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2012/11/15/guy-fieri-new-york-times-restaurant-review-defends-fires-back/1706207/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top