Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2020 1:16:34 PM EDT
Only a handful of folks will know who this is, but a dallas icon (of music) died yesterday.

Hes owned a record store for 40 years. His current location was down on Lamar st in Dallas.
I spent alot of money in his store back in the 80's.

There are some old photos of bill at the old location if you follow the link to his obit. Should be a walk down memory lane for a few folks.
Bill Wisener died sometime Friday night or Saturday morning, behind the counter of his iconic namesake record store in the Cedars.

A customer had gone to the store Saturday, around 11 a.m., and found the doors locked. Through the windows, she could see Wisener, eyes closed, in his usual spot — sitting in that worn-out rolling chair, surrounded by the clutter of records and posters and cassettes and tchotchkes accrued over the last 40 years as a buyer and seller of music. This, alone, was not unusual — Wisener has been sleeping in the store, on and off, for a very long time.

“It was hard for him to leave his place,” said Jack Matthews, the Cedars developer who owns the building along South Lamar Street to which Wisener moved in 2007, after 26 years spent in Far North Dallas.
View Quote
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/commentary/2020/01/11/bill-wisener-who-every-day-for-40-years-ran-dallas-last-record-store-died-saturday/
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#1]
He was a cool dude!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Only a handful of folks will know who this is, but a dallas icon (of music) died yesterday.

Hes owned a record store for 40 years. His current location was down on Lamar st in Dallas.
I spent alot of money in his store back in the 80's.

There are some old photos of bill at the old location if you follow the link to his obit. Should be a walk down memory lane for a few folks.
Bill Wisener died sometime Friday night or Saturday morning, behind the counter of his iconic namesake record store in the Cedars.

A customer had gone to the store Saturday, around 11 a.m., and found the doors locked. Through the windows, she could see Wisener, eyes closed, in his usual spot — sitting in that worn-out rolling chair, surrounded by the clutter of records and posters and cassettes and tchotchkes accrued over the last 40 years as a buyer and seller of music. This, alone, was not unusual — Wisener has been sleeping in the store, on and off, for a very long time.

“It was hard for him to leave his place,” said Jack Matthews, the Cedars developer who owns the building along South Lamar Street to which Wisener moved in 2007, after 26 years spent in Far North Dallas.
View Quote
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/commentary/2020/01/11/bill-wisener-who-every-day-for-40-years-ran-dallas-last-record-store-died-saturday/
View Quote
was his store close to Gillys just north of Dallas PD HQ?  If so I've been in there with my daughter a few times,
RIP.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He was a cool dude!
View Quote
I question his integrity, though.

The one time I went in his store, I was a skinny pimple-faced high school kid with stupid hair. As I was leaving with a new cassette tape, he said, "come back, ok, we need more cool people here." Even at the time, I knew I was not cool. Not cool at all.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
was his store close to Gillys just north of Dallas PD HQ?  If so I've been in there with my daughter a few times,
RIP.
View Quote
Yeah, I think so. I only knew of the Spring Valley location.
A buddy called me this morning and told me.
Figured I'd post it up here, as the last time the discussion of record stores came up I mentioned Bill's, and was surprised on how many folks knew of his store/him.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow. He just closed the store not too long ago.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The one time I went in his store, I was a skinny pimple-faced high school kid with stupid hair. As I was leaving with a new cassette tape, he said, "come back, ok, we need more cool people here." Even at the time, I knew I was not cool. Not cool at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He was a cool dude!

His old radio commercial "tag line" was ~ head for Bill's.

you figure it out, lol.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Tchotchkes.........that’s a word not heard often enough.

RIP Bill.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My friends and I grew up buying CD’s and records from Bill. He was always very nice and interesting. His perpetual indoor chain smoking while sitting in his chair was overwhelming but I guess that was part of the “Bills experience.” They ironically found him dead sitting in that chair.
Bill had any and every obscure record or CD you could imagine. What was crazy is he could access whatever you asked for usually by memory and had very little to no record keeping of his inventory BITD.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tchotchkes.........that’s a word not heard often enough.

RIP Bill.
View Quote
Thats Bob Wilonsky for ya.
Writer for the Dallas Observer for many moons.

Cool guy
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#10]
weekday bump for those that may find interesting
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#11]
"his unruly storefront, where the records weren’t priced or, sometimes, even sleeved"

lol. that does bring back some memories. you were going to get raped when you brought that import down to the counter.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, I think so. I only knew of the Spring Valley location.
A buddy called me this morning and told me.
Figured I'd post it up here, as the last time the discussion of record stores came up I mentioned Bill's, and was surprised on how many folks knew of his store/him.
View Quote
That was the store i knew him from too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"his unruly storefront, where the records weren’t priced or, sometimes, even sleeved"

lol. that does bring back some memories. you were going to get raped when you brought that import down to the counter.
View Quote

That sure happened to me once, back in the preNapster days.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Heard it last night on the news.

Only ever in there once.  But the radio commercials go way back.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol, that was the fear!

We were laughing the other day, in that you got charged more based on a sliding scale.

Bill was great though. I fiddled around w/ beat mixing so did a lot of digging through the boxes for that elusive rare 12" import.
it wasnt like you could just hop into musicland or camalot and grab what I was into. Where else was a kid to find that limited edition smiths poster?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I went to the Spring Valley store many times, found lots of cool stuff there
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Whoa.  I remember him from the Spring Valley location as well, many years ago.  I remember looking for an original edition CD from Patrick E Baker (Techmaster PEB) as well as an earlier release LP from the same artist.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top