Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 12:27:37 PM EDT
Hillary Clinton is quoted on NewsMax praising her (I mean Bill’s) efforts in the 1999 Hurricane Floyd cleanup.

"FEMA was the lead agency during the Clinton administration; it was in charge," Mrs. Clinton boasted during a conference call with reporters. "James D. Witt, the director, understood how to deal with emergencies."

"FEMA took on the role of helping to prepare localities and states to be in a position to respond," she continued, in quotes picked up by the Village Voice.

"Helping localities do what they needed to do to mitigate damage - that philosophy governed FEMA during the Clinton administration," Hillary said. "It was obviously rejected by this administration."

But in another NewsMax article we comare these criticisms of Katrina to the respose to Floyd in 1999, a much less serious situation which resulted in 61 deaths.

"…FEMA didn’t do much better under much less taxing conditions, when the floods that followed Hurricane Floyd left tens of thousands stranded up and down the Eastern seaboard, wondering what happened to federal rescuers.

New Jersey, Virginia, North Carolina and Florida were hit hard when Floyd slammed the coast on Sept. 16, 1999. It was the worst storm to hit the U.S. in 25 years - yet it killed only 61 people. That death toll expected to be dwarfed by Katrina.

Clinton FEMA Director James Lee Witt won high marks for hurricane preparation, but the flood that followed swamped his agency.

Check out Jesse Jackson on September 5, 2005:

CHICAGO – (SEPT. 2, 2005) – One day after rescuing about 450 students stranded in dorms and on thoroughfares in New Orleans, Rev. Jesse Jackson returned to the predominantly black city with more buses to transport some of the hungry and desperate citizens who remained in the city five days after it was devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

“President Bush has come very late with very little,” said Rev. Jackson, describing the dire scene in New Orleans as looking like “the hull of a slave ship.” “I’m leaving once again from the City of New Orleans and there still is no plan to rescue, nor is there a plan to relocate them. The president has not put together a federal program or a coordinated effort to address this massive crisis. Mr. Bush came today and did what can be described as a ceremonial tour of the area. He would not touch the ground in New Orleans where suffering black people are dying”

Now check out Jesse Jackson in 1999.

"A full three weeks after the storm had passed, Rev. Jesse Jackson interviewed Witt on his CNN show "Both Sides Now" - and complained that flood victims were still suffering from a "misery index."

"It seemed there was preparation for Hurricane Floyd, but then came Flood Floyd," Jackson began. "Bridges are overwhelmed, levees are overwhelmed, whole town’s under water . . . [it’s] an awesome scene of tragedy. So there’s a great misery index in North Carolina."

Witt explained that the storm’s devastation was unparalleled, prompting Jackson to ask what was being done for the thousands of families left homeless by Floyd.

Though nearly a month had passed since the storm first hit, Witt said his agency was just beginning to address the problem.

"We’re starting to move the camper trailers in," he explained. "It’s been so wet it’s been difficult to get things in there, but now it’s going to be moving very quickly. And I think you’re going to see a — I think the people there will see a big difference over within this next weekend."
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#1]
[Jesse]

I traveled across the nation to this seaport destination to witness the reclamation of a town that had suffered devastation at the hands of the rotation of the winds of Katrina. In my estimation, the population is due some reparations for the situation created by the limitations on the ability to effect a mass migration from the location that was the epicenter of the situation. It has been my observation that the retaliation for the poorly-executed evacuation is the fault of the republican party, due to their failure to implement the operation in a timely manner. Because of this, I will soon be planning a demonstration in Washington, with a dedication to the disenfranchised youth of New Orleans, whose education has suffered due to the halliburton creation known as Katrina.

[/Jesse]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top