Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 9:45:26 AM EDT
Following an in-service training series with our current issue PS90 platform and several catastrophic failures later, it has come to the attention of our police chief that changing over to the AR15 platform may be of benefit.  A presentation is requested to detail the officer safety benefits of this platform, as well as liability issues that may come up, and the benefits of this platform being used extensively by law enforcement and military groups.  What I need:

Stats, hard numbers detailing effectiveness in neutralizing a threat. Ballistic performance charts on clothes, gelatin, perforation and penetration of drywall, brick, concrete, vehicles etc.  Recommended patrol issue ammunition types for high population, close quarters urban environments. Recommended mainstream optics (eotech, aimpoint, trijicon) and BUIS systems, slings and lights.

If you have a patrol rifle program SOP you wouldn't be shy about sharing with me, I would be happy to send you my .gov email.  All advice is welcome and encouraged,

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested to hear what the catastrophic failures of the PS90 were.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a ton of stuff I collected 15 years ago when I went through the same steps you did
Unfortunately its extremely dated by now.
I'd suggest that you contact NTOA, IALEFI, NRA LE training division etc for starters for current info.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#3]
My agency received a good deal of information from the Columbus, Ohio PD Ordnance Section when we reworked our program They did a lot of R & D prior to adopting a very sound policy for everything from weapon configurations to sights to slings to lights  etc etc. They also have had numerous field uses and OIS's using the AR platform. I would give them a call. Your email option here is showing that its disabled or I would have sent you some contact names for them. They are also an accredited agency if that's something you need to consider also.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
What failures did you have?

Why a PS90 and not a P90?

For ballistics, you need to consider each manufacturer will have their own. Each PD will have their favorite type of ammo and this may determine what ammo they carry. Reality is that the typical non-bonded ammo will fragment in close urban environments.

Neutralizing a threat is an interesting request. Are there major issues with the 5.7 round? Do you want to know how many people survived a shot with the .223 ammo?

Since you are truly looking at a caliber and not a platform, why limit it to an AR only set-up?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like our policy, if you can qualify with it you can carry it.  AR, AK, Mini 14, some Saiga .223 contraption.  Just a little bit of everything.  Chief see's the need for Officers to have rifles and he doesn't have the money to supply them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Following an in-service training series with our current issue PS90 platform and several catastrophic failures later, it has come to the attention of our police chief that changing over to the AR15 platform may be of benefit.  A presentation is requested to detail the officer safety benefits of this platform, as well as liability issues that may come up, and the benefits of this platform being used extensively by law enforcement and military groups.  What I need:

Stats, hard numbers detailing effectiveness in neutralizing a threat. Ballistic performance charts on clothes, gelatin, perforation and penetration of drywall, brick, concrete, vehicles etc.  Recommended patrol issue ammunition types for high population, close quarters urban environments. Recommended mainstream optics (eotech, aimpoint, trijicon) and BUIS systems, slings and lights.

If you have a patrol rifle program SOP you wouldn't be shy about sharing with me, I would be happy to send you my .gov email.  All advice is welcome and encouraged,

Stay safe.
View Quote

I'll IM you and you can send me your dept. email.  Ours is based off of pool information that about 20 local agencies developed.  Includes officer purchase, quals, etc.

One of my local sister agencies carried the PS90 and after a few years they suffered some catastrophic frame failures.  They are now transitioning to the AR platform.

And not that it should matter, but it's CALEA safe.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top