Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 2:40:13 PM EDT

I think, come Monday, we should all call our state congress people and ask them to outlaw the practice of publishing CCW holders. We can use the example of what happened in Cleveland.

Anyone got a link to that article anymore?

I know, I'm going to write up a statement and send it to my reps and senators.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
To find the Plain Dealer listings, go to here and you should get all the counties near Cleveland. And if the Plain Dealer wasn't bad enough, NBC24 published the exact birthdates of each CCW holder.  See this thread in the hometown forum.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Btt

Anyone else going to do it?

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#3]
That's pretty fucked up right there...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If you guys promote the hiding of public information its going to bite you in the ass some day. Whats next?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you guys promote the hiding of public information its going to bite you in the ass some day. Whats next?

It's not the hiding of public information that we are promoting, but rather the responsible dissemination of this information, and with regards to this, there are several methods in which it can be accomplished. On one exteme, you could argue that all of these people are law abiding citizens (just by their ability to obtain a concealed carry permit) and thus there is no need to have their names published like sexual offenders. If a permit holder comits a crime, only then do they deserve to have their name printed in the paper.

On the other end of the spectrum, you could claim that because only the media has access to this information, they should inform the public - and if you should fall in this camp, you must agree that there are responsible and reckless ways in which the information is presented to the public. What is the purpose of publishing someones exact birthdate except to antagonize them? Publishing someone's age is generally good enough to establish whether or not the person in question is indeed a permit holder.

This isn't about trying to sequester public information but to make sure that the information is used responsibly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#6]
part of hb12  ohio ccw

(E) Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty
of illegal release of confidential concealed handgun license
records, a felony of the fifth degree. In addition to any
penalties imposed under Chapter 2929. of the Revised Code for a
violation of division (B) of this section or a violation of
section 2913.04 of the Revised Code described in division (D) of
this section, if the offender is a sheriff, an employee of a
sheriff, or any other public officer or employee, and if the
violation was willful and deliberate, the offender shall be
subject to a civil fine of one thousand dollars. Any person who is
harmed by a violation of division (B) or (C) of this section or a
violation of section 2913.04 of the Revised Code described in
division (D) of this section has a private cause of action against
the offender for any injury, death, or loss to person or property
that is a proximate result of the violation and may recover court
costs and attorney's fees related to the action.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ok, point taken, but this is not public information. Do you want your drivers license number or social security number published so people can steal your identity? The CCW is on the same category. I don't believe that CCW consitutes public information, because it's on the same level as any other license that you have with the government. And you are not a public servant, you are a private citizen, so your personal records are not public information.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
part of hb12  ohio ccw

(E) Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty
of illegal release of confidential concealed handgun license
records, a felony of the fifth degree. In addition to any
penalties imposed under Chapter 2929. of the Revised Code for a
violation of division (B) of this section or a violation of
section 2913.04 of the Revised Code described in division (D) of
this section, if the offender is a sheriff, an employee of a
sheriff, or any other public officer or employee, and if the
violation was willful and deliberate, the offender shall be
subject to a civil fine of one thousand dollars. Any person who is
harmed by a violation of division (B) or (C) of this section or a
violation of section 2913.04 of the Revised Code described in
division (D) of this section has a private cause of action against
the offender for any injury, death, or loss to person or property
that is a proximate result of the violation and may recover court
costs and attorney's fees related to the action.

What the update with the papers editor then? Is he going to get arrested, or are his liberal government buddies going to cover it all up to protect him?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, point taken, but this is not public information. Do you want your drivers license number or social security number published so people can steal your identity? The CCW is on the same category. I don't believe that CCW consitutes public information, because it's on the same level as any other license that you have with the government. And you are not a public servant, you are a private citizen, so your personal records are not public information.

If I go down to the county court house I can request and be given an unbeleivable amount of information about you. You would just shit a brick if you saw it. Information that you would assume should be confidential.

I really dont think this is a big deal about the CCW holders.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
5 months ago a local news station ran a story " Guess who walks around with a gun, the answer will surprise you"... They interviewed a a teachers, county commissoners etc etc .  A few of us alerted the NRA . the NRA has a group that monitors new groups.

J
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats what we get for letting it get so far that we have to ask Ceaser's permission to pack concealed.  You think when your pulled over in a traffic violation that the trooper dosnt know you have a ccw before he gets to the window of the car?  When it was the rage to get a ccw pernission slip, I maintained that it was only a tool for "them" to have a list to with when they begin confiscation.

I do agree with you that that information donst not need to be public,..... but we signed up for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top