Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2004 5:59:39 PM EDT
Just thought I'd see if there are any other visual artists lurking around on this forum.  
Does not seem to be an abundant amount of gun toting Banjo Art Boy/Girls Non Government Funded Art in the Bars Programers  within the art world so thought I'd ask.
Back in the day when I was in Art School there was only one other character that came close.  
We've remained pards and still hunt together after all these years.
Both of us made as quick an exit from the Big City as we could post graduation and headed back to the boonies to resume our unrepentant hillbilly ways.  Paint, Draw, Eat Vitamins, shoot critters.
Kind of an odd spot to hover.  Our big city friends think we are redneck hillbillies and our rural pals think we are commie liberals....You just can't win.  
Would love to hear from other art folk that aren't terrified of firearms and hear their stories.....

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I am in marketing, kind of an artist...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
My hobby is making wrought iron furniture.  I've been told that I'm an artist.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
i can paint and draw. Sometimes for extra money i do portraits and flash art. if not for the Army i would of went to an art school that accepted me. Just didn't want to be a struggling artist.

J
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
"Piss' or 'Graphic" artist?

Andy
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I majored in Visual Communication Design (Graphic Design) at University of Washington, I graduated last spring.

I was doing a series of movie posters for class, Snatch, Lock Stock, and True Romance. Some of my early roughs I had taken pictures of some ammunition. I was pining them up before crit and one girl commented: "are those real bullets?"
me: yes
her: where did you get them? (with mild alarm)
me: I bought them.
her: you can do that!? (with alarm)
me: yes.
her: you don't need some sort of special license?
me: no.

I spared her from the knowledge that I actually owned a gun that could use those bullets (they were .40 HPs)

My extended family (from Black Diamond, mining, logging background, hunters, etc) just doesn't understand why I didn't meet any worthwhile women at UW.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I hear you taking aim4myhead!!  
I've lived the starving artist ciche for some time now.
Got outa art school, got married (big mistake but that's another story) got an instant family and went right back to woodwork to keep beans and rice on the table.  Did that for too many years and finally, after being traded in on a more expensive model, hung up my tool belt about 4 years ago.  
Since that time I have been making about enough to keep a family of skinny squirrels alive doing and learning AutoCAD.  
On the bright side of things I get to paint and draw.  I have and shoot firearms.  Ex wife was Oregon semihippified artist that had an aversion to smoke and fire.  She actually demanded that I bury my firearms rather than have them in the house.  Needless to say that did not happen.  I do have the worlds best daughter from that miserable experience so I'd have to say it wasn't a total mistake.  Oh, and I have a big dawg who is quite a babe magnet.  Good for a gnarly old ugly guy to have.  

So, what kind of work do you?  
As far as wrought iron.  Well, dang, that is art too.
I paint, draw, do woodcuts, cartoon, pen and ink, water color and such.  I have absolutely none of the ubiquitous prejudices about fine art/illustration etc. that seems rampant in the art world.  Hell after the time spent working wood I figure anything one can do to make a living with art puts you ahead of the game.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been into art for longer than I can remember.  Recently I just got into charcoal.  Here are my two most recent.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah. pretty strange reactions from other artists in general when they discover you have an interest in firearms.  
I was at a party in Portland a few years back with a group of art pals when first I took note of the prevailing PC attitudes within that city.
Met a fellow who had been a LURP in Vietnam and we engaged in a conversation about his experiences and various implements of destruction.  
We looked up after awhile and noticed that in a small room full of folks we were seperated from the rest in a circle of space.  Everyone that had heard our talk had eased away.  
Hell, that kind of attitude goes back a ways.  Back in the early '70's my brother and I were up at Hi Top, Alabama where we have some property.  We had been clearing land and taking breaks by shooting at anti freeze containers hanging from trees.
We heard some commotion down the ridge line on the point and decided it needed checking on so we sprinted down the rim to the point where we found a couple from Huntsville.   Serious hipsters.  
I had two revolvers on my belt and we both had empty casings in our ears when we approached.  My brother, proud of his new chain saw which was in his hands, was quite excited to show someone his new toy and promptly cranked her up and took down a sapling.
Didn't think much about it but when we got back into Huntsville a few days later the word had been passed through the hipster community to stay away from us.  It seemed we were "crazy and dangerous".  
I guess folks just don't change that much.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#9]
pain rx,
Too sweet.  Really nice work there.  I especially like the top drawing.  Most superlative!! Thanks for posting.
If I can ever figure out how to get an image on this forum I'll post something of mine.  
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
he
"In all, Marla has sold 24 paintings totaling nearly $40,000, with the prices going up. Her latest paintings are selling for $6,000. Some customers are on a waiting list."

"Dinosaur"

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/09/28/nyregion/28arti.dinosaur.jpg

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
<-------------------
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I paint (good), dabble in photography (better) and draw (best). Also, write lyrics and music to songs I will never finish. Finding time to do it is the hard part  

[edited to add a sketch that I started ??? and will finish ??? *sigh* Maybe I will get motivated and finish the "studio" set up in the garage ]

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#13]
A four year old selling 40k worth of art?  A waiting list.  
Dang.  Now I'm really depressed.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Im an advertising/graphic designer for a big newspaper.  I've been in my career field for nearly 7 years now. I enjoy it. Yes, being an artist everyone thinks your a flaming liberal. I'm an exception to the rule and proud of it. I am the prodigy of military parents and I can only wonder why God blessed me with my talent. A paint brush in one hand and an AR in the other. That just feels soo right.

Barkinhound, I'm from Oregon, whereabouts are you from? I moved out of Oregon in the early 90's when the lumber industry was taking a hit from the environmentalist. It was very hard to stick around and find work since it affected the whole economy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Graphic designer by trade.

It's a vocation dominated by those much more
liberal than myself - that's for sure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Dabble in visual arts, my favorite media is pencils. I need to draw more though, recently I haven't been in the mood.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#17]
... here
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#18]
My old man is fairly well known artist, taught art and art history at a city college for 27 years, makes a very good living being an artist and has no problem with guns. He was in the Navy on an aircraft carrier in WWII, used to go dove hunting with friends, and is a staunch Republican. and Bush supporter.

CW
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I love art. I also love design work. I was drawing guns before I ever owned one as a kid! It is a weird combination now that I think about it Post some of your work!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#20]
yup, graphic artist/designer & pre-press tech.

photoshop abuser since 1989
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I love art. I also love design work. I was drawing guns before I ever owned one as a kid! It is a weird combination now that I think about it Post some of your work!!

Dad 1

Dad 2

Dad 3

CW
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#23]

I have done some decent pencil sketches, but never took it up seriously.

I have a friend who I served with in the National Guard - outstanding soldier, even better artist.  He sold quite a few paintings and other art while I knew him, won several competitions, and is now in a very good art school in Virginia.  It was interesting to see a guy do so well in the military, who was so much into a liberal pastime otherwise.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:43:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:48:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dad 1

Dad 2

Dad 3

CW

I skipped the .pdf file but seeing the art in the other two links; your pop has some talent.  

Thanks.

CW
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I mostly work in photography now. However, I'm fairly good at drawing, and with the number of times I do it instead of paying attention in class, I'm getting better. About the only human thing I can't draw well are hands and female faces.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:27:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a degree in architecture but went the construction route professionally.  There's no money in architecture.

I still design furniture but build very little of it.  I took photography classes in college and did quite well at it.  My work was.... well.... right wing to say the least.

I keep meaning to get back into photography, but the options are either buy a $1k digital cam, or go back to using my old Nikon and buy a shitload of processing equipment.  I miss the darkroom terribly.  Sitting at a computer and photoshopping just isn't even remotely the same.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:21:15 AM EDT
[#28]
It's my job. www.maasdigital.com
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:13:42 AM EDT
[#29]
cool stuff maas.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:25:19 AM EDT
[#30]
BFA (1974) Carnegie-Mellon University.
I'm working in an "artisan/craftsman/technical/scientific/research" capacity right now.
Yeah, that's right, I'm definately NOT the same old brewski.
I hear what you're sayin', man.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#31]
BFA,MFA.

"Aloha", 10'x15' mixed media on aluminum

"Grinder", 10'x15' mixed media on aluminum

a detail shot of "AutoBio", 7'x32' mixed media on aluminum
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:39:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't draw much anymore here is some graphic design tho..

Badge was done in 3dmax.. flag also

hovers around 20,000 polygons
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:40:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Anybody who is into guns, cars, guitars, and women is an artist!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:58:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Our big city friends think we are redneck hillbillies and our rural pals think we are commie liberals....You just can't win.  

That is by far the most Red-Neck sounding story I have ever heard!

Btw...I am an aspiring film director.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
BFA,MFA.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Cincinnatus/Myart005.jpg
"Aloha", 10'x15' mixed media on aluminum

img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Cincinnatus/Myart007.jpg
"Grinder", 10'x15' mixed media on aluminum

img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Cincinnatus/Detail30-35.jpg
a detail shot of "AutoBio", 7'x32' mixed media on aluminum

Awesome stuff, Cincinnatus.

I am not a visual artist, but a musician. In a business of ink sleeves, mohawks, heavy drug usage, homosexuality/bisexuality, raging egos, and rampant backstabbing, I'm seen as the 'weird' one for toting a gun and being straight edge.

I totally identify with ya, Barkinhound.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I am a luthier by trade.  I make early style fretless banjos for a living.  I also make some violins, but my banjos are back-ordered  a year or more so I stick to them mostly.  

I do quite a bit of work for the film industry making period instruments for props and soundtracks.  You may have seen my work in Gods and Generals, The Song Catcher, Mask of Zorro, Gangs of New York, Ride with the Devil or  Miss Evers Boys.  

I enjoy it but boy doI get looks when people visit my shop and see a gun safe.  A few love it , most think I am a right wing nut.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Is this art?

"Saint Ackbar"

"I AM DANISH, HEAR ME ROAR!"

The Roaring Uterus

Mr. Ackbar

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#40]
doll play director count as art?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I majored in Computer Graphic Arts and now I'm a graphic designer/product designer.

I agree. I think most "artsy" types are whacked out commie liberals. I consider myself more of a realist when it comes to art. It's the idealists, surrealists, etc. that you 've got to watch out for!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Another graphic designer from Texas here.   LOTS of anti-gun/anti-conservative types in my field.  I'm usually "outed" as a conservative when I referto Michael Moore as "Fuckface".

Kirk
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Another graphic designer from Texas here.   LOTS of anti-gun/anti-conservative types in my field.  I'm usually "outed" as a conservative when I referto Michael Moore as "Fuckface".

Kirk

Really? I would have thought "fuckface" would let you still slip under the radar...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm in school for graphics & web design. Does that count?

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a BA in graphic art/print media and am working on my MFA right now.  I am pretty good with Photoshop and dabble in Flash and Illustrator.  Did I mention I also love guns?

My area of concentration is cartoons and caricature and I do some magazine work when time permits.   I also make some decent money on the side doing logos and designs for small businesses.

Being a JBT is great and pays the bills, but I want to do art full time when retirement rolls around.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=76&t=264426

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kirk

What city do you live in Kirk?

Houston
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm a graphic designer and art director with 11 years in the biz. I've done a little illustration as well, and it all goes back to a pencil and paper for me. (Ink sometimes ; ) ). I don't have the time I used to have for drawing unfortunately, but I still get a little thrill when I draw something cool. No pics as I don't have hosting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
It's my job. www.maasdigital.com

Holy crap, you did the Mars Rover video?  I LOVE THAT FILM!

Outstanding job - I posted that vid here several months ago, when I first found it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
snip
We heard some commotion down the ridge line on the point and decided it needed checking on so we sprinted down the rim to the point where we found a couple from Huntsville.   Serious hipsters.  
I had two revolvers on my belt and we both had empty casings in our ears when we approached.  My brother, proud of his new chain saw which was in his hands, was quite excited to show someone his new toy and promptly cranked her up and took down a sapling.
snip

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top