Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 3:45:58 PM EDT
Okay, my guard unit is heading down to Hunter AAF this summer for our Annual Field Training.  I asked my TSgt if I could get an Abrams tank on my government drivers license.  Thinking I was bullshitting he said sure.  What I need is to get in touch with someone at Ft. Stewart that could at least give me a cursory rundown of the Abrams tank or some other piece of armor that I could qual on for "contengency operations" only.

Come on, any help?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I may be wrong, having never been at Ft. Stewart, but I think it is 3rd ID at Stewart, and they are in Iraq right now. Probably a small chance of getting help on that, but I have been wrong before.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the 3ID is there at Stewart but in the off chance that some have rotated back, I was gonna give it a shot to see what I could come up with.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#3]
It's called M1 Family. Believe it or not, I never took one for a drive before getting the license. However, we did do some simulator time in Knox, so maybe that was an 'instead'

NTM
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If nothing else, I need to pencil whip the requirements to prove a point.  The chances I will actually drive a tank are slim and none but seeing as how my Sgt. said he would put it on my license if I could get the training, I want to see if it is possible.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm over qualified for this but here goes. No Way will they liscense you on the M-1 series tank unless your holding a 19K MOS. For starters it's not like the old tanks. The drivers station has quite abit in it to learn. The safety procedures are fairly extensive to include loss of stearing, brakes/engine fire,etc.  The liability issue in unleashing 70 tons at 45MPH  to an untrained and unliscensed driver alone would be enough to cause any Commander to say no. And since you used Tsgt in your post I'm guessing your Air Guard or Air Force. (it's like me trying to get liscensed on a F-16). and if their is Armor at HAAF its would be the 4 tank QRF platoon on Ramp alert for 18th Airborne Corp. and these tanks are Uploaded with Live ammo ready to deploy with in a short notice.

Ft Stewart has two brigades each with 3 Armor Bn's and only One bde is forward deployed to Iraq

If your lucky you may get a nice ride in the loaders hatch. but to think there just gonna let you drive one and then get Liscenced on one... Put the crack pipe down. There is no such thing as a "Contingency Operation" only Bullshit .

There is also no way to "pencil Whip" it either. As their is quite a bit of documentation and mandatory training by authorized personnel before someone can just "pencil whip" your  Military Driver's Liscence...
Your not driving your daddy's pick up....
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm over qualified for this but here goes. No Way will they liscense you on the M-1 series tank unless your holding a 19K MOS. For starters it's not like the old tanks. The drivers station has quite abit in it to learn. The safety procedures are fairly extensive to include loss of stearing, brakes/engine fire,etc.  The liability issue in unleashing 70 tons at 45MPH  to an untrained and unliscensed driver alone would be enough to cause any Commander to say no. And since you used Tsgt in your post I'm guessing your Air Guard or Air Force. (it's like me trying to get liscensed on a F-16). and if their is Armor at HAAF its would be the 4 tank QRF platoon on Ramp alert for 18th Airborne Corp. and these tanks are Uploaded with Live ammo ready to deploy with in a short notice.

Ft Stewart has two brigades each with 3 Armor Bn's and only One bde is forward deployed to Iraq

If your lucky you may get a nice ride in the loaders hatch. but to think there just gonna let you drive one and then get Liscenced on one... Put the crack pipe down. There is no such thing as a "Contingency Operation" only Bullshit .

There is also no way to "pencil Whip" it either. As their is quite a bit of documentation and mandatory training by authorized personnel before someone can just "pencil whip" your  Military Driver's Liscence...
Your not driving your daddy's pick up....

I think you may have just rained on his parade.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:10:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Very similar to guys wanting to get Coxswain qualed on our patrol boats during a 2 week AT. It ook me six months of missions to get qualed Coxswain and another six months to qual Patrol Leader. We did have an E-7 qual Patrol Leader and Mission Commander without ever leaving the comfy confines of the port control tower but that's a whole different story of pencil whipping quals.    
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]

I think you may have just rained on his parade.

Big time.....I do recall when I was stationed at HAAF seeing the building that housed those tanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Im an AF SP and I managed to get some drive time on an M1A1 Abrams courtesy of a local guard unit. I didnt think to ask to get it added on my GOV license. I had fun though. Those M1's drive really nice.  I didnt think something that weighs nearly 70 tons could move so nimbly.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#12]
ARMOR?????Ft. Stewart.....?????? [ROLF2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
You might see if you could get some stick time on an M113.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top