Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2014 5:07:04 PM EDT
So I've been on Ceftin for cellulitis.  I'm on the last couple days here.  Anyway, is it OK to take Pepcid while taking this?  I know antacids are a no-no with a Z-pack.  What about with ceftin?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
What antacid did you have in mind?
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
You know, they ALL seem to have the potential for decreasing the effectiveness of Ceftin. Not what you want to do when taking an antibiotic. This included the Tums and Maalox stuff as well as the OTC Zantac types....
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Ceftin is cefuroxime axetil, a prodrug. It has a long hydrocarbon chain contingent on low pH of the stomach to cleave it for higher bioavailability.

So, acid makes drug work better (higher absorption into body)

Take ceftin, wait an hour or two, then take poopcid. Repeat. (Poopcid lasts 8-12 hours in body, so take ceftin near end of course)

Your previous ABX expericence is probably due to di- and polyvalent metal cations, (iron, magnesium, calcium, aluminum) which are found in maalox, mylanta, tums and multivitamins. These decrease absoprtion on some antibiotics, namely tetracycline class as well as fluoroquinolones (levaquin, cipro, avelox....) and azith to a lesser extent.

Or something..

ETA the take with food sticker you see on the side of the bottle is due to acid being released when eating, helping drug being absorbed...
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool....I love this place.

Thanks!

Oh, and I normally take poopcid every night for acid reflux
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top