Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2007 3:25:16 PM EDT
Two days ago I was walking from the living room back to my bedroom, when all of sudden as I lifted my left leg I got a very sharp pain in my knee, for the rest of that night when ever I walked I had pain. No pain while standing just when walking. If I were sitting down and bended my knee, no pain.

Yesterday, I didn't have any pain but I went to the doctor anyways just to be on the safe side. Xrays were taken, nothing showed up in the way of an injury. Doc said I may want to put some ice on it at night and take some Motrin(No, this wasn't a Navy doctor . Atleast I don't think he was ever in the Navy   ).

Now, this morning at work I was walking around the office when all of sudden I started getting pain again while walking. This lasted for about an hour or so, then I didn't have any problems for the rest of the day.

What the heck is going on here? What could be "broken" that won't show up on a Xray?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
All an X-ray shows is bone.......Believe me, I broke the bersa sack and tore a couple of tendons in my knee.

Been through 2 personal doctors, 1 ER, 2 ortho's, with all kinds of x-rays.

The only thing that will show ligament damage is an MRI.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
lots of things.  Tendons, Ligaments, Miniscii (proper plural term ), Muscles...
Did the doc do any joint tests?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
All an X-ray shows is bone.......Believe me, I broke the bersa sack and tore a couple of tendons in my knee.

As an MRI, CT and XRay tech I'ld like to point out that this statement is not entirely true.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
RICE - rest, ice, compression if it's swollen, elevation if it's swollen

It could be any number of things and it doesn't sound like an acute injury.  I have knee problems - 2 weeks post-op on the 2nd ACL reconstruction of my left knee - and I get 'temporary' shooting pains all the time.

Brian
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Torn meniscus, maybe?

Mine tore while walking through the airport in Amsterdam, so obviously it doesn't take a major mishap to do it.

Don't rely on your regular doc to diagnose it...have an ortho do it.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]
BTW this sounds fatal...dibs on your guns and ammo.  Need pics of your wife and first born before I call dibs on those too  
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

By joint tests you mean what? Bending my knee back and forth? Yeah, he did that, I had no pain then.

Quoted:
BTW this sounds fatal...dibs on your guns and ammo.  Need pics of your wife and first born before I call dibs on those too  

Jokes on you, I have no wife/gf or kids

The same goes for ammo

Quoted:
Torn meniscus, maybe?

Mine tore while walking through the airport in Amsterdam, so obviously it doesn't take a major mishap to do it.

Did you always have pain or did it come and go at random?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As an MRI, CT and XRay tech I'ld like to point out that this statement is not entirely true.

I would be more than happy for you to tell that to all the quacks I've been to and I am open your sort of opinion on this.

I would love to prove these assholes wrong.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Ill go with meniscus disks  for $1000 alex.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Only an MRI can show internal damage to your knee.

An X-ray can in some cases show the POSSIBILITY of internal damage, this was the case for me when I tore my ACL, the x-ray my doc took showed my leg bones all jammed together and he pretty much knew surgery was coming, but they still did an MRI to figure out exactly what was torn.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

By joint tests you mean what? Bending my knee back and forth? Yeah, he did that, I had no pain then.

Quoted:

Jokes on you, I have no wife/gf or kids

The same goes for ammo

Quoted:
Torn meniscus, maybe?

Did you always have pain or did it come and go at random?

The pain would come and go depending on what I was doing. Usually, it hurt the most when I twisted my knee while I had weight on it. Also, it hurt when I drove (it was my right knee...moving it to work gas/brake hurt).  Bone-on-bone=pain.

ETA: It turned out to be an easy fix. 45 minute surgery, one week of taking it easy, totally recovered in 5 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.maitrise-orthop.com/corpusmaitri/orthopaedic/mo56_knee_joint/knee_joint.shtml

This page describes the tests an orthopaedic surgeon would perform.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top